Coffee Discussion boards > RKDrums-GCBC forum

RK Drum

(1/37) > >>

shep:
I am thinking of adding an RK drum to my roasting hierarchy. I have not purchased anything yet, including the grill. For those of you who are already traveling down this road, any advice or other tips you have picked up that you care to share before I begin? Any specific grill seemed to be better suited to the task, etc. Thanks.

Shep

nimbus:
I got a charbroil grill with 47KBTU I think. It does a nice job. All you really need is rotisserie capability, which they all seem to have. Don't go too underpowered. I think Ron (Kyle) recommends 30KBTU + ....more power lets you make changes quicker, which can be useful. Some people scrounge thrift stores, garage sales, etc and you can get a grill for next to nothing.

I wimped out and bought the motor straight from him, but you could definitely get one on ebay cheaper. But then you'll need to mount it. Sort of a money vs. convenience tradeoff.

It is pretty much a turnkey operation. I had to drill a couple holes to attach my motor to the side ledge, but that was about it. The drum is the heart of the operation.

Highly recommended.

Chris:
Craigslist is a great place to find a grill that will work for cheap.

Ron_L:
As Chris mentioned, I see gas grills on Craig's List all the time.  Just take some simple measurements to makes sure that the drum will fit.  I've seen some grills that have a low profile lid that wouldn't clear the drum.  I found a Sears grill at a local Sears parts center that was their floor model so it was fully assembled and only $75.

I also have the motor assembly from Ron.  Setup was very easy.  The learning curve was a little longer in that I had to learn how my grill/drum reacted to heat changes, how fast it would roast, etc.  Once I had some roasts under my belt, I took permanent marker and marked the dial positions for the burners so I could repeat my results pretty closely.

ButtWhiskers:
I got a 38RPM 1/4HP 115VAC motor brand new for $60 off of eBay.  It has 375 in-lbs torque, which is way overkill - it should easily run my 7kg drum roaster when it's finished.  If you are patient you can get an acceptable motor for about $20 on eBay.  Then again, Ron's package setup is powerful and easy to put together, and it's on sale until December 15th...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version