Author Topic: What's the longest it's been since you've had a cup from a . . .  (Read 1457 times)

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
I got back from San Diego after a week (yo, Joe!) and found a [used] French press on my desk. No one's owning up to it. A biggish Starbucks model. So I tried it with a PNG. Hadn't tried a FP in, seriously, three years.

What's the longest it's been since you've tried this or that common brewing method?

When was the last time you had percolated coffee?      :D

When will you restart the clock by trying that method you've long neglected?

Are you the kind who regularly cycles through various methods, or are you a one hit oneder?    ;D

The Oneders

(the cup was great, using the grind I dialed in for the office Bunn airpot machine)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: What's the longest it's been since you've had a cup from a . . .
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 07:34:49 PM »
I make pourover coffee every day, espresso every week several times but not every day, and I cycle other preps as the mood strikes or coffee demands.

If a bean really presents to me it might be good as a certain prep I go for it. I typically make the rounds of most preps but reserve vac pot for beans that really call for it (not very often).

Last time I percolated coffee I wrote about on here and it feels like 4 years ago or so...it will likely be the last time I ever do it again.

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 09:11:28 PM »
OK, but which methods have you neglected?

These methods are sad. Shame on you.   ;D

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 03:49:54 AM »
I know I have neglected the aeropress. I had issues getting the beans to shine and the output always made me just want a real espresso.

BoldJava

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 04:12:24 AM »
I know I have neglected the aeropress. I had issues getting the beans to shine and the output always made me just want a real espresso.

Switch the verb from "neglected" to "avoided," and aeropress would be mine.

>>>When will you restart the clock by trying that method you've long neglected? avoided? >>>

[Heresy continues]

No need to restart.  Just keep the stop-watch running.  We have assurances of a second-coming and my Aeropress will be a virgin for the event, though I will hand it to Rasqual to celebrate.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 04:20:40 AM by BoldJava »

jimec3

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 05:34:02 AM »

+1 I found it to be all more of a pain than it was worth 99% of the time

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 06:16:56 AM »
I'm amazed at lack of success with the Aero. And just when I'm about to debut a new (to me) hack! For shame, people.

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 07:58:14 AM »
I use a Kalita or Hario pourover 90% of the time, with an occasional Moka pot, French press or Vac pot thrown in. If I'm feeling really lazy, I will use the Technivorm...or go to a local coffeehouse. I never really used my Aeropress much, but since I moved and could not take my espresso machine, I pulled it out. I have been drinking it as a 6 ounce drink, adding no extra water. Now it makes my pour over taste weak!

Shep
Vagabond, beach bum & motorcycle zealot: a restless soul in motion

Tex

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 08:10:29 AM »
I use a lot of different brewing systems: Espresso, moka pots, vac pots, AP, pour over, and drip at home, FP & espresso at my daughter's house and single serve drip at church. It's all good if the coffee's freshly roasted & ground - some are better, but they're all better than no coffee!!

blzrfn

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 08:23:03 AM »
My go to preparation for testing out a coffee is the Aeropress.  15g fine ground coffee/ 225 mL hot water just off boil, inverted fill to top,cap and twirl to agitate.  Flip at 45 sec and let sit another 45 sec before plunging slowly for a 2 min. total brew time.  Makes for a cup that, to me, highlights all that a coffee really has to offer.  I go back and forth between the Disk and paper filters depending on my mood.

I broke my press so haven't used one of those in a few months and haven't tried replacing it since I won the Ava Solo earlier this year. 

My siphon pot gets used a couple times a month but I need to get a different filter for it.  The cloth filters leave a taste that taints everything I brew.  I though I was over-extracting, but I did a dry run without coffee and sure enough the water that passed through the filter only had the off taste that was killing me on the inside. 

BoldJava

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 08:24:57 AM »
My siphon pot gets used a couple times a month but I need to get a different filter for it.  The cloth filters leave a taste that taints everything I brew...

Wonder where a lad could put his hands on one of those?

blzrfn

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 08:37:14 AM »
My siphon pot gets used a couple times a month but I need to get a different filter for it.  The cloth filters leave a taste that taints everything I brew...

Wonder where a lad could put his hands on one of those?

OK Dave, pm me a price for a glass rod for a Yama 8 cup, whichever you feel would work best and we'll get this awkwardness out of the way.   :-*

milowebailey

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 11:35:33 AM »
So glad you asked this question.  Looking at my data the methods that I've neglected are:

• Ibrik:  Yeah, I own this, I've neglected this for far to long.  I thought the recent Ibrik traveling roadshow would be a perfect time to break this out, but it didn't happen
  • Press pot:  I actually had really good coffee from the stainless steel press pot while camping.  I used to be an AP user while camping, but with coffee for four, this works better
  • Phin filter:  I have three Vietnamese coffee filters (and condensed milk) and the Kalita Wave traveling roadshow came with one, but still I resist (except when eating at Pho Nam)
  • Nel cloth filter:  I admit, I bought a coffee sock and used it once.  Supposed to work wonders with cold process coffee
  • Cold process coffee:  See above
  • Macchiato, Cappuccino:  been a while since I made some milk drinks with espresso
  • La Peppina:  It's back in the garage for no good reason other than counter space
  • Gaggia Factory:  It's on the counter, but it's still been four weeks
  • Chemex:  Made some iced coffee last night in the Chemex, but otherwise haven't been using them much
  • Siphon:  Been a few weeks
  • Clever:  Been more than a few weeks

Update:  Been like forever since I brewed up a pot in the glass percolator that I picked up.  It's a naked percolator, you can see the coffee brewing, it's so hot, but the coffee brews so hot that I just don't use it anymore.  How many of these methods are novelties?

Like so many others, I fall into habits and use the Bunn BTX for morning brew and the AP with the new Fine Disk or the Mypressi Twist for coffee at work.  I did enjoy playing with the Kalita Wave traveling roadshow and could see using that regularly at work.  I'll be relying on press pot again soon for a full week of camping, but I don't know when I'll go back to the Ibrik, the Phin filter, or the coffee sock.
Yakster

I really wish you'd display your brew methods better.  ;D  The pie chart just doesn't do it for me.

Maybe a gantt chart with method, dates, times and dependencies of each brew method would help clarify things. 

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 09:19:51 PM »
Good grief. I nominate that for the best response to a query-oriented OP, ever.