Author Topic: Brazen Coffee Brew System (aka Gort) Traveling Road Show  (Read 27441 times)

JW

Re: Brazen Coffee Brew System (aka Gort) Traveling Road Show
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2012, 05:32:43 PM »

I also have cleaned the filter holder basket and filter in oxyclean to get rid of a strong coffee smell that built up after a while.
+1 on the oxyclean, I have found in some cases it works better than cafiza, and the plastic on this machine is one of those...

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2012, 06:20:29 PM »
By the way, there's a small crack in the plastic at the base.  Cosmetic only, does not affect functionality.  Noticed the morning after I unpacked it. 

Yup, the crack was there when I got it and the offer smell seemed more intense compared to my tv.

RobertL

Re: Interest Check:Brazen Coffee Brew System (aka Gort) Traveling Road Show
« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2012, 06:25:10 PM »
I can compare both. I have a tv right now that I have a system worked out on.

So what did you think? How did the two compare?

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2012, 04:13:23 AM »
Less scientific compared to milo but I ended up choosing the tv. I am sure I could have played with temps and got the brazen to perform the same but I was getting a brighter cleaner profile from my tv. Plus it was done in what seemed like half the time.  I also like the slightly more manual approach because I get to see the bloom, smell it and stir the grounds to see how the water flows and adjust for smaller brews.

The part that drove my wife crazy was the brazen dripping on its own base and the spout always made a mess when pouring.

If I were to start over I would have ended up with the brazen. I would have put in more effort to match the same clarity of the tv to save myself $100.

RobertL

« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2012, 07:27:51 AM »
Less scientific compared to milo but I ended up choosing the tv. I am sure I could have played with temps and got the brazen to perform the same but I was getting a brighter cleaner profile from my tv. Plus it was done in what seemed like half the time.  I also like the slightly more manual approach because I get to see the bloom, smell it and stir the grounds to see how the water flows and adjust for smaller brews.

The part that drove my wife crazy was the brazen dripping on its own base and the spout always made a mess when pouring.

If I were to start over I would have ended up with the brazen. I would have put in more effort to match the same clarity of the tv to save myself $100.

Thanks that's great information for someone like me in the market for an auto brewer.

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
  • Espresso: QuickMill Roaster: Behmor, HGDB
Brazen Coffee Brew System (aka Gort) Traveling Road Show
« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2012, 08:20:17 PM »
Gort came today... No basket, used paper filters BUT doggone it, coffee would not drain down. 1st time got 1 cup. 2nd time got 4. Everything worked fine in calibration. No idea why this happened. Coffee tasted overextracted 2nd time.

Husband and brother-in-law made fun of Gort. Poo.

jano

« Reply #96 on: December 26, 2012, 12:05:48 AM »
I got your pm that you found the basket (wasn't clear where exactly you found it) - have you had any luck brewing with the machine since this try?  I'm wondering if you doubled up on the paper + metal basket which caused it to go too slow. 

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
« Reply #97 on: December 26, 2012, 07:11:13 AM »
My brain was really tired. We were hosting my family when Gort arrived on the 24th. After everyone left, I pulled up a video on Gort and saw them pull the basket out from UNDER the display. Oh.my.goodness.

Works MUCH better now.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 07:13:59 AM by bekeld »

RobertL

« Reply #98 on: December 26, 2012, 08:29:05 AM »
My brain was really tired. We were hosting my family when Gort arrived on the 24th. After everyone left, I pulled up a video on Gort and saw them pull the basket out from UNDER the display. Oh.my.goodness.

Works MUCH better now.

So where were you putting the coffee in the water reservoir?

jbviau

« Reply #99 on: December 26, 2012, 08:42:22 AM »
That is some serious brain fatigue!

jano

« Reply #100 on: December 26, 2012, 10:18:43 AM »

Works MUCH better now.

:D :D :D

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
« Reply #101 on: December 26, 2012, 01:05:59 PM »

Works MUCH better now.

So where were you putting the coffee in the water reservoir?
do I really have to answer that? :(

The good thing about all this is that we now know that Gort is definitely idiot-proof.

Made a pot @10am. It's about 3pm now, and the coffee is just now getting to be lukewarm. Using 3 days post roast Burundi, dropped temp to 201, decreased presoak to 30 sec. Much smoother.

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
« Reply #102 on: December 31, 2012, 01:13:45 PM »
Have a question--

As I was brain dead and put coffee in water reservoir thinking that was the basket, I have been thinking that there might be issues that occur down the road from that. The pot works very well now, but should I keep this and just buy a new one to send to tyme? I don't want to go against past practice, but you don't usually have a person pooch a road show like this. :(

Offline Mlee

• Standard User
  • Roaster-Hottop b Espresso-Gagggia espresso
« Reply #103 on: January 01, 2013, 07:42:39 AM »
Quick question on the brazen. What temperature is the presoak? Has anybody verified the pre-soak temp? Inquiring minds want to know.......
Prov 3:5-6-Trust in the Lord with all your heart
                Lean not on your own understanding
                Acknowledge Him in all your ways
                And He will make your paths straight

BozemanEric

« Reply #104 on: January 01, 2013, 08:20:04 AM »
I have never checked it with my thermocouple but I have always assumed that it is the same as the brew temperature being that the unit brings the water up to temp before anything happens.