Author Topic: How about this Sunpentown for SC/To setup?  (Read 9261 times)

Offline pwest

• Standard User
Re: How about this Sunpentown for SC/To setup?
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2013, 03:29:50 PM »
High Jacking this thread further.... Would Pwest or Farmroast (or both) be willing to take a couple of photos of how they crafted their stir arm assemblies?   A hand sketch or a brief description would be fine also.  I have been wanting to build something like this for a while but having some mental blocks. 

I went to home depot and bought a large brass cap , drilled a 1/4" hole through the top, brazed a steel rod (also from HD) to it and attached it to the 1/4" drive shaft with a nut below and a nut above to lock it down.  Somewhere along the line, I got something jammed between one end of the stir arm and the roast chamber wall and it bent the stir arm.  It didn't have any detrimental effect on the roasts, so I never bent it back.  Obviously, my motor has more than enough power to agitate a couple of pounds of coffee beans...

-Phil

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2013, 04:32:43 PM »
High Jacking this thread further.... Would Pwest or Farmroast (or both) be willing to take a couple of photos of how they crafted their stir arm assemblies?   A hand sketch or a brief description would be fine also.  I have been wanting to build something like this for a while but having some mental blocks. 

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Also, I have been using an SC/TO for about a year now.  Coffee used to turn out great... lately it is terrible...  If there are any experienced folks out there that could offer some consultation I would be in your debt.  I would be willing to drop a quarter to talk with anyone if that was acceptable.  Getting really frustrated.

I have been using a rough copy of peter's stir arm and it works fine for me...  (can't find the link  :-[  )

my TO got wimpier over time.. separating the fan and heater to two power cords helped and cleaning it out (disassembly required) helps..   PM me if you want to chat on the phone..

Offline e.roc

• Standard User
  • Roasted and cracked... Artisan V
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2013, 05:02:36 PM »
@Pwest - Thank you for the photo.  Did you have to add any type of bushing for the shaft to rotate or is it just spinning in the drilled out hole? 

@ MP and J.Jr  - I have a SC with a SO-2000 oven.  The oven was purchased new about a year ago and could not have more than 40 roasts on it.  I am thinking it can't be worn out already...

I can roast to 1C in 10 or so minute and at 2C in another two.  My stir arm is the stock SC arm with some sleeves.  I get a decent amount of agitation as the roasts are pretty even.  I have tried a number of times to make one like Peter's but I had to stop the attempts when my wife could no longer hang up her clothes. To me it was worth it, to her... no so much.

I usually roast in 13 OZ batches.  I have tried a 2-3 minute drying time at 300 F and with out it.  The original results were very good and now 10 or so months later.  CRAP.  Wifey says that the stuff out of the Air Popper was better... She really knows how to hurt a fella...    What's worse I have killed 26 oz's of the Kenyan AA Kianjuki that Ascholten distro'd.  I should've had my membership card revoked for that alone..

Any thoughts?

🤷🏼‍♂️

Offline pwest

• Standard User
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2013, 05:58:31 PM »
@Pwest - Thank you for the photo.  Did you have to add any type of bushing for the shaft to rotate or is it just spinning in the drilled out hole? 

Yes, I made one using flanged bushings that look something like  http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=MZecOKIxWxlVhM&tbnid=tbNzsAUw98I18M:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jlbbearings.com%2FBronze-Flange-Bushing-1-2-IDX3-4-OD-X-3-4-Overall-Length-PN-825838-EB44240-384.html&ei=QFpnUZ2sNsPV2AW044CICw&bvm=bv.45107431,d.b2I&psig=AFQjCNEW-I0thNBITu4TiuuYFBIDSDVbtQ&ust=1365814144404199 .    I drilled out [the non-flanged end of] one bushing by an extra 1/16" and ran off about 1/16 on the other so one slipped inside the other to create a rigid system.  I then pressed one up through the lower cake pan, one down through the upper cake pan, slipped them together and then put in the 1/4" bolt and assembled the whole system.  I should have taken some pics, but I didn't.

-Phil

Offline e.roc

• Standard User
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2013, 08:24:16 AM »
Nice.  Thanks for the tips.  Not sure my wife will appreciate me borrowing her cake pans but better to ask for forgiveness right?!?!?
🤷🏼‍♂️

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2013, 04:36:31 PM »

@ MP and J.Jr  - I have a SC with a SO-2000 oven.  The oven was purchased new about a year ago and could not have more than 40 roasts on it.  I am thinking it can't be worn out already...

I can roast to 1C in 10 or so minute and at 2C in another two.  My stir arm is the stock SC arm with some sleeves.  I get a decent amount of agitation as the roasts are pretty even.  I have tried a number of times to make one like Peter's but I had to stop the attempts when my wife could no longer hang up her clothes. To me it was worth it, to her... no so much.

I usually roast in 13 OZ batches.  I have tried a 2-3 minute drying time at 300 F and with out it.  The original results were very good and now 10 or so months later.  CRAP.  Wifey says that the stuff out of the Air Popper was better... She really knows how to hurt a fella...    What's worse I have killed 26 oz's of the Kenyan AA Kianjuki that Ascholten distro'd.  I should've had my membership card revoked for that alone..

Any thoughts?

maybe it needs the internal cleaning..  chaff gets in mine but not usually in 40 roasts..

Offline e.roc

• Standard User
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2013, 02:48:56 PM »

[/quote]

maybe it needs the internal cleaning..  chaff gets in mine but not usually in 40 roasts..
[/quote]

Took it apart Saturday and separated the fan from the hearing circuit.   Well see if that helps any.   

Thank you.
🤷🏼‍♂️

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2013, 04:13:13 PM »
Took it apart Saturday and separated the fan from the hearing circuit.   Well see if that helps any.   

Thank you.

Let us know how it works for you.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline e.roc

• Standard User
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2013, 04:38:40 PM »
Thank you.
[/quote]

Let us know how it works for you.

[/quote]

Will do.   And on another note... I also separated the heating circuit.  Doh!
🤷🏼‍♂️

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2013, 04:53:58 PM »

Great! Maybe you can document how you did it so I can do mine when I get it.

lp, 7-Ski

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2013, 05:06:10 PM »

did you talk to your electrician friend down the street?? (yes I been lurking over at home roast) it should be pretty straight forward to him..

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2013, 05:52:44 PM »

did you talk to your electrician friend down the street?? (yes I been lurking over at home roast) it should be pretty straight forward to him..

No ... not yet ... I won't get the GG until next weekend.

lp, 7-Ski

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2013, 06:01:02 PM »

when your friend opens it up he will see the power going from the main cord to the fan and heat sides.. if he ads a new power cord and makes good safe connections to the separate controls then you will have a safe way to keep the fan on strong and adjust the heat with the heat controller.. I just leave mine set full on and use the switch in the handle to slow down the roast manually.. just not for very long or you could stall the roast

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2013, 06:48:20 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

I just found another one for a backup on ebay.   :)
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2013, 07:02:15 PM »

I just found another one for a backup on ebay.   :)

Yeah ... there is a decent price on there now.

lp, 7-Ski