Author Topic: The Mahlkonig EK43/EKK43 thread  (Read 3468 times)

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
The Mahlkonig EK43/EKK43 thread
« on: March 20, 2014, 01:22:59 PM »
I just started digging into one this week and I will start to report my expedience here. It is so different, I thought it needed a thread of its own.
I went on a grinder search this year and acquired a HG-One, Caedo e92 and now the ek43 for espresso use. While I just got the Lido 2, it is dedicated to road trips.

Todd (ECC) also joined in on the fun so he may have a few words.

So far, despite it's size, it is hands down one of the best home grinders.
-It has low retention
-grinds quickly at ~2 sec for 18 grams
-works for drip and other methods
-makes it difficult to produce a bitter or unbalanced cup
-no wtd, rtd or any other special prep requirements.

More to come!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 05:31:53 AM by ScareYourPassenger »

BoldJava

Re: The Mahlkonig EK43/EKK43 thread
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 02:49:05 PM »
I have seen it in several shops but the Mazzers seem to be the grinders being used.   One shop that had one was using it.

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 04:12:52 PM »
The workflow for a shop is more time consuming and therefore most shops won't use such a grinder.

ecc

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 10:15:23 PM »
The grinder is a total kick in the pants.  The dial goes to 11, but there is no timer, no doser, no chance of catching more than a few grams directly into a portafilter.   I have a set of 16oz stainless steel cups, some safety glasses, and a ground strap.

Highly touted, and highly pooh-poohed.  How come?  It seemingly defies the magic extraction gold box, described by the much vaunted Illy edited 50's research.  Although it will really suck the solubles out of a medium roast, it really seems to shine on the lighter roasted, harder to extract stuff.

Yesterday I ran a few ultra fast pour-overs --  two separate 240g lungos, (yes, that is 8 fluid oz) from an 18g VST basket (loaded with 18.0 g no less) and they were ... drinkable.  Anybody that knows what a decent shot should look like will flinch.  Much different (better) mouthfeel than brewed, very raw and exposing but at the same time very extracted.   As if you sailed past french press, and came up on espresso from the other side. 

After spending way too much time with a dripper cone and a thermocouple, I set my espresso machine PID down to 190F for better results on the big shots, and I may even try lower.  The temp drops quite a bit on the big flows, even though I keep it to 25-30 seconds.

I've been too busy recently to give it a proper beating, but promise some pics this weekend.  Maybe I can lure SYP up here to Corntown labs with some wild claims of sideways coffee shots.  All backed up by photographic evidence, of course.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 11:54:48 AM by Joe »

smico

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 11:47:03 PM »
Woow. Do you guys have spare houses just for coffee gear?
Few coffee shops in Montreal are using it for filter coffee. 
Never saw it used as main espresso grinder.

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 06:16:45 AM »
I should clarify that I now just have the ek43. I do have my own private island for all my espresso gear, kitchen island that is:)

For those that missed Todd's Spinal Tap reference.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4xgx4k83zzc

Yes, this grinder defies logic. I am in the Turkish range pulling shots and if I were to go courser, I would have a gusher! Drip is the same way, the grind is about 1/3 smaller in size but it is flowing almost twice as fast. I have yet to use the full open drip setting on the Technivorm.

If you read some of the links Todd posted up it mentions more uniform particle size. There is quite a bit to it beyond that though. Matt Perger digs into the nitty gritty details within his blog.
http://mattperger.com/The-EK43-Part-One

ecc

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 08:31:53 AM »
I did mention a few high profile nay sayers
JUMBO ESPRESSO THURSDAYS!

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 09:59:38 AM »
Do you have to have the bean hopper attached to operate the grinder?
LMWDP #440

jano

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 12:08:29 PM »
I did mention a few high profile nay sayers

Clearly a flawed video.  First, I believe Jumbo is more appropriate for Texas, not europeans - europeans are the ones that prefer dainty approach, such as paying a fortune for simply a deciliter of pop (without ice I might add).  Now Texas, everything's big there, personalities, hats, boots, land, etc.

Second, that drink will be absurdly poor because he's using a dinky grinder.  He should've used that giant owl-shaped thing when he was demonstrating the green beans.

Pffft.  And he calls himself a coffee expert.

ecc

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 01:01:48 PM »
Do you have to have the bean hopper attached to operate the grinder?

Nope!

BoldJava

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 01:05:20 PM »
That sucker looks like a mini-cement mixer.

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 02:18:32 PM »
Wow!! Do you have different burr sets for each end?  If so, what are the differences?

Offline sosha

• Standard User
The Mahlkonig EK43/EKK43 thread
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 02:55:19 PM »
Ya know, if I could find one for a good price, I'd go for it.  It doubles as a cement mixer, right?

I saw a vid on it from Prima Coffee, and remember thinking "dang! That hopper is bigger than the dudes head !"
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 02:58:08 PM by sosha »
LMWDP #440

ecc

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 09:50:42 PM »
Wow!! Do you have different burr sets for each end?  If so, what are the differences?

I went with the double coffee burrs.  One is dialed in for espresso, the other goes back and forth between crazy lungos, and regular paper dripper.  Am slowly adding in preps, will try Kone or vacpot next, can't decide which.  Maybe I will have to use some of my caffeine allowance to try a french press or two at  an 11 grind. 

Other interesting burrs include espresso (was tempted) and grain. 

Today I had a fairly nice semi-brewed, a 185g (6oz) from a VST 18.0g basket.  30 seconds.  Hold the cement. :)

smico

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 04:01:14 AM »
Two headed dragon. Wow, again.
To make the best bread or pastry, grains have to be ground right before preparation. Now, that is an idea.