Author Topic: megaROAST-CRC 20 lb. Capacity Roasting System?  (Read 2857 times)

Offline Monito

• Distributor
  • I have 4 coffee Roasters and I don't collect them!
megaROAST-CRC 20 lb. Capacity Roasting System?
« on: April 29, 2014, 12:37:56 PM »
Hi,

Have any of you tried this roaster?

megaROAST-CRC 20 lb. Capacity Roasting System

I read the topic about the RK roaster system and it seem good, but no one has mentioned this one.

Thanks,

Pat
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 01:23:08 PM by Joe »

BoldJava

Re: megaROAST-CRC 20 lb. Capacity Roasting System?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 12:51:21 PM »
Lil' Monkey, como estas?

Offline Monito

• Distributor
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 03:46:33 PM »

Lil' Monkey, como estas?
Doing good and I am back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 03:50:41 PM »
I can just imagine lifting a 20# drum of cracking beans and dumping them into a cooler.

Excitement!!
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline Intrepid510

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 06:30:55 PM »
I can just imagine lifting a 20# drum of cracking beans and dumping them into a cooler.

Excitement!!

Then realizing its a pooch.

Offline Monito

• Distributor
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 08:04:34 AM »
I wouldn't as my wife  :o

I read good reviews about RK, but they only go to 14lbs

Pat

Offline dickcoffee

• Standard User
  • I'm givin' it away
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 09:11:58 AM »
I have a 4 pound RK drum, but only do 2 pound roasts because my own theory is that I should be able to get to 1st crack in less than 11 minutes and finish the roast in not more than 4 more minutes after start of 1st.  I think this big dude would take more than that.  It's also possible that I'm wrong.  I've never been able to get anyone to agree with me on those timing issues.  But, I'm happy with my 2  pound roasts.  It's also true as BJ says, I'd hate to have to wrestle with that thing full of hot beans.  Occasionally, my hot RK drum feels like it's burning through my 'ove' gloves.

Offline Monito

• Distributor
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 08:26:13 AM »
I found this Maverick ET-75 Rotisserie Thermometer, with that you can have any profile...

11 minutes 1st crack it all depends on what you have, you can have excellent results at coffees coming out at 17 minutes, it all depends on the roaster...What if your ideal temperature was not that great at the beginning, then you can add them at the end.

Pat

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 09:21:52 AM »
It would take massive BTUs to do 20 lbs efficiently, plus 2 man job removing the drum and dumping beans, wouldn’t be my cup of tea. JMO

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 01:13:17 PM »
Hey Monito - couldn't attach pics to the PM, so I'm posting them here.

Again, I'm not a fan of CRC drums.  RK makes much more rugged and better agitating drums (or at least made, I am not familiar with their newer models).

Here's a couple of snapshots of my current homefab 12# (for realz, finished weight, not what a drum mfr. tells you).  22.5" long, 10.5" diameter.  The size was dictated by the size of the BBQ, which is a 45k BTU with an IR back burner (which makes a LOT of difference in the roast quality, especially the high notes).  38RPM direct drive 1/3 HP motor with enough torque to turn a grown pig on a rotisserie, don't wanna worry about wearing it out...  The 3/8" axis tube is welded to a 1" expansion with slots for the key-type drive.  These welds are accomplished with a couple of washers for spacing, which insulates the drive expansion so well that it can be handled bare handed at the end of the roast.  The opposite side uses a drilled 1.5" wood dowel for an insulator.

Welded (heliarc) together out of 304 stainless steel, 3/16" perforated 16 gauge (might be 14).  Everything was home fabricated by my ironworker buddy and I, you can see the hinge is actually little 3/4" pieces of 3/8"ID stainless tube welded over a stainless rod so the hatch and the drum end ARE the hinge.  If you look at the interior, you can see the 'V' shaped fins (3 o'clock and 9 o'clock) are facing the same way - this allows the beans to alternately cycle from the center of the drum to the outer edges with each rotation - these fins are about 2" shorter than the drum length on each side.  The 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock fins are slightly angled and go all the way from end-to-end, which also works to agitate the beans from one side to the other [regardless of which way your motor turns].

The advantages to this design are obvious when you watch the beans agitate.  I load 12-14# depending on density, and with removable insulation panels I can hit first crack in as little as 8 minutes if I want (of course I don't).  If you try something like that with a drum with less thought put into the fins/vanes/whatever-the-heck-you-wanna-call-em you will certainly see the uneven roasting as you approach the loading limit of the drum. 

Here's the experiment to show the degree of mixing:  pour in 5# of old roasted beans and tip the drum so they all go to the far end.  Then carefully pour in 5# of crappy old greens into the loading end.  Put this on your grill and watch how many rotations it takes to mix them into a nice even distribution...  I can guarantee you that some of those CRC drums that are too long and have all straight vanes will have an uneven distribution after 30 seconds of spinning, where my design has them fully blended within 15 seconds.  If your BBQ has a perfect heat distribution I guess it wouldn't matter, but that never seems to be the case in the real world...

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 01:22:08 PM »
Roasted up about 60# this morning.  You can see the final volume difference in the pails where the darker roasts become less dense as they swell up.  The stuff in the stainless kettle is a dog's dinner blend of some high-end leftovers, which is why there is so much variation in roast level.  13# loaded, ~11# completed weight, 1st crack at 10:30, some of the beans were hitting 2nd crack when I dumped it at 14:50.

Love my setup, I can do 6 batches in about 2.5 hours all by myself without feeling rushed.  My buddy and I may be making some of these drums for sale this winter, when my tie-dye biz slows down for the year.  But I'm so busy I can't really commit to that at the moment...

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 01:33:26 PM »
BW! Great to see you posting my friend.

EDIT:

Care to elaborate a bit on the influence of the rear IR burner? I've been thinking about grabbing a new grill this fall with higher BTU's and the IR burner.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 01:36:31 PM by headchange4u »

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 01:54:28 PM »
There was a Japanese study (I've got it printed out around here somewhere...) that measured an array of coffee flavor components by GC-MS for a couple of origins with both traditional drum roasting and with IR heated drums.  The IR-roasted coffees were much higher in compound concentrations that we associate with "high-end spicy, floral aromatics" than the traditional roasted beans.   My experience has been that the IR panel makes the roast more like a TurboCrazy product - which is still my favorite for quality - but these days I need the quantity.  I just can't spend 12-15 minutes per pound to roast, and I'm tired of burning out convection ovens and stir crazies.   

I keep the IR on full bore throughout the roast, where I limit the grill burners.

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 03:25:56 PM »
Amazing, how much propane did it take to do 60 lbs? you made it sound easy.  You said your sacrificing quality for quantity,  the color looked right in the pocket. Would like to hear how it tastes after 3 or 4 days.  Anyhow fantastic job.
Rich
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 03:32:28 PM by sea330 »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 03:26:46 PM »
My experience has been that the IR panel makes the roast more like a TurboCrazy product - which is still my favorite for quality - but these days I need the quantity. 

I keep the IR on full bore throughout the roast, where I limit the grill burners.

Music to my ears. I love the more mellow, "roasty" flavors that a gas drum produces, but I miss having some of the subtle brightness/intensity that I got from my SC/TO system. A meld of both would be heavenly.

Did you add the IR burner or did it come pre-installed in your grill?