Author Topic: New 1 kg Roaster Alternative_Bullet R1  (Read 18761 times)

Offline 9Sbeans

• Standard User
Re: New 1 kg Roaster Alternative
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2015, 03:22:24 PM »
Here's another one. Had a plan on visiting this roaster, but it was too far out of town without transportation.

1-2-CH3-pro-5(第五代機)咖啡烘焙機 (1.2kg) 烘豆機

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=881RDjUrBPg&index=16&list=LLXeW6wZuLwP5cgp7UwZ_xPA

I’m not aware of this one.  Thanks Hank.  They have a CH-6 model coming out. Really interesting.  :D
http://youtu.be/JWftumVr2nQ

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2015, 10:35:10 AM »
Your welcome!
Not sure if I mentioned the Cube roaster, I did see that one in person and blogged about the visit at the Syphon cafe in Taipei. The Cube 1.2 roaster's are very limited production and for domestic sales only. And they sell out quickly....

Offline whattodo

• Standard User
  • Coffee tastes & Taste in the mug
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2015, 01:33:02 AM »
Looks like the bullet will be demoed at SCAA in Seattle in April. I'm planning on making the trip out. Seeing this new machine in person could prove to be interesting!  8)

Jim, please remember to look at the Bullet Roaster at SCAA and share your opinion about it with us. Thanks
Roaster: Quest M3/Bullet R1
Grinder: Two Sage Smart, Two Harios
Brewing: Brazen Plus, Thermos Nissan, Bodum Cold Brewer, Chemex 8 Cup, Yama Vacuum 8 Cup & 5 Cup, Vev Vigano Carioca Nero, Bonavita Porcelain Immersion Coffee Dripper, Aeropress, Saeco Espresso, Beko Turkish Coffee Brewer

jspain

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2015, 07:07:08 AM »
Looks like the bullet will be demoed at SCAA in Seattle in April. I'm planning on making the trip out. Seeing this new machine in person could prove to be interesting!  8)

Jim, please remember to look at the Bullet Roaster at SCAA and share your opinion about it with us. Thanks

Getting ready to head to the show now! I'll check it out!  :)

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2015, 07:40:55 AM »
Getting ready to head to the show now! I'll check it out!  :)

Look forward to your evaluation Jim.

Thanks for doing this.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

mcmasterp

« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2015, 07:54:27 AM »
Take some video and pics

keving

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2015, 09:27:25 PM »
I am sorry for being a skeptic, but, I cannot see a 110V machine being able to do 1kg anywhere close to what would look like a 'normal profile'. The 220V maybe with 3500 watts or so, but not 110 unless you have to run it on a 110v 40amp circuit - nothing a normal home would have available.  This was my problem which caused me to have to upgrade my home built machine from 1500 watts to 3000 watts. And at 3000 watts I get about 700 grams beans to 440F in about 11:00 at 80% power - which gives me some room to wiggle around at the higher temps. I think this machine would take many, many, minutes longer to reach 1st crack if it could at all at that volume.  Even using 100% re-circulation of exhaust air. 

Again sorry for the pessimism. It's just that I spent a lot of time and effort designing my roaster and have a good idea about what these machines require for power. Maybe I will be proven wrong :o

keving

« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2015, 09:52:08 PM »
Just watched the video posted on you tube. It was an 800g roast. Do not know what machine it was 110V or 220V (my guess the 220V), but at 12 minutes they were still a good 20 degrees away from first crack and not until 14 minutes were they getting around 1st crack at 405F. And that is where he dropped the roast.  That sure seems like a long roast with a low temperature drop to me! 

Offline whattodo

• Standard User
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2015, 10:23:27 PM »
Just watched the video posted on you tube. It was an 800g roast. Do not know what machine it was 110V or 220V (my guess the 220V), but at 12 minutes they were still a good 20 degrees away from first crack and not until 14 minutes were they getting around 1st crack at 405F. And that is where he dropped the roast.  That sure seems like a long roast with a low temperature drop to me!

At the link below, there are couple graphs. However, it is not clear that they are for 110 or 220 volts either.  I posted a reply there and asked their input voltage.

http://aillio.com/?p=691

« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 12:05:34 AM by Joe »
Brewing: Brazen Plus, Thermos Nissan, Bodum Cold Brewer, Chemex 8 Cup, Yama Vacuum 8 Cup & 5 Cup, Vev Vigano Carioca Nero, Bonavita Porcelain Immersion Coffee Dripper, Aeropress, Saeco Espresso, Beko Turkish Coffee Brewer

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2015, 08:47:27 AM »
Just guessing, but Scandinavian roasts tend to be very light. Perhaps they are designing the machine to satisfy Scandinavian tastes. When I first received my Italian made V.B.M., it was set at 11 bars. The factory rep. said, "We Europeans [Italians] like stronger coffee."
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 07:05:18 PM by YasBean »
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2015, 05:43:45 PM »
hat hink the roaster's capacity is based on the fact that it uses an induction heating system, which is supposedly much more efficient then a typical resistance-based heating element. I don't know much about these things, but I think our typical conception of what an electrical roaster can do he is different than what this roaster uses.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline whattodo

• Standard User
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2015, 12:10:51 AM »

jspain

« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2015, 05:27:48 AM »
Well the bullet is a modern looking machine.... I met the twin brothers that invented and are bringing this machine to market. It will be available this summer and imports from Taiwan.

My initial thoughts are that like Peter I'd like to see how induction heating goes? No sight glass...., hard to clean and must be taken apart..... power? It can only do three batches a day. It has a small footprint, good looking but not traditional, and low energy needs.

I'll grab the spec sheet and gather my thoughts and post more later.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 08:09:42 AM by jspain »

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2015, 06:28:44 AM »
Thanks for the initial feedback Jim.

Look forward to your future analysis.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

keving

« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2015, 09:25:29 PM »
Whattodo, When I look at the plots in the link you provided, it appears they are saying 1st Crack occurs at aprox 383F  that sure seems low to me as I always see this occur between 401 and 411F - maybe the bean temp thermocoupler on  their unit is off by 20 degrees? I wonder this because it carries through to their 2nd crack which they say is at 428F. That appears to be about 20 degrees low as well.

This is where my build is also listed - my first generation build that is. My current generation 3 roaster build is now using a 3000 watt heating element to give me a larger load and is using Artisan for profiling. Here is the 1st gen link if you like: 

I am not saying that it is impossible to get a 1kg load in 12-13 minutes at +/- 440 in 12 minutes with enough insulation and recirculation but  it sure is hard for me to believe - especially at 1550 watts.  Further, when you look at the temps where they are saying the major markers such as 1st C  and 2nd C occur I wonder why they are so far off of what is considered normal. 

Peter may be right that induction may be the difference - I am anxious to see more roast profiles and reviews from a neutral party.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 12:05:13 AM by Joe »