Author Topic: New 1 kg Roaster Alternative_Bullet R1  (Read 18762 times)

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
Re: New 1 kg Roaster Alternative
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2015, 08:03:51 AM »
Just watched the video posted on you tube. It was an 800g roast. Do not know what machine it was 110V or 220V (my guess the 220V), but at 12 minutes they were still a good 20 degrees away from first crack and not until 14 minutes were they getting around 1st crack at 405F. And that is where he dropped the roast.  That sure seems like a long roast with a low temperature drop to me!
I have been reading about the higher powered roasters, and it seems best to use 220v.

Silly question - is there a simple (and low $$$) way to get 220v in a typical USA home that is wired for 120v? I already use a variac to improve the power for my Hottop roaster (from 116v to 121v at the outlet).
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2015, 09:13:19 AM »
You already get 240v or just shy of it. You can run a new wire from the breaker box and tap into the additional voltage by using a 240v breaker.

I had to do this for my espresso machine last year and it was far easier than I was expecting.

keving

« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2015, 09:13:47 AM »
Nearly every residential service panel in the US has two 120-volt wires and one neutral wire running to it from the utility company. Each wire powers one “bus” (copper vertical leg) inside the main service panel. That’s why you usually see two columns of breakers (or fuses) when you open your service panel door. The common 120-volt circuits that power everything from your lava lamp to your vacuum cleaner are powered from one of those two buses. The standard 15- or 20-amp circuit breakers work by clipping onto one of the buses. Then the circuit’s hot (red or black) feed wire is clamped to the circuit breaker, while the neutral (white) wire and bare copper ground wire are clamped to the common neutral bar.

The way you get a 240-volt circuit is simple. A “double-pole” circuit breaker is clipped into both 120 buses at the same time, so the voltage to the circuit is doubled. That’s why 240-volt circuits need two hot wires and a neutral to carry the electricity to the appliance, plus a ground wire.

With a 240V circuit  the 2 120V legs are cycling opposite each other at 60htz in the US.  The wiring to a receptacle and the receptacle itself requires special wiring considerations to be in code compliance.   

WARNING: PLEASE HIRE AN ELECTRICIAN TO DO THIS WORK IF YOU HAVE NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE AND ARE NOT TRAINED IN THIS AREA - this can be very dangerous and could easily kill you if you are not exactly sure of what you are doing!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 09:22:19 AM by keving »

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2015, 12:09:38 PM »
WARNING: PLEASE HIRE AN ELECTRICIAN TO DO THIS WORK IF YOU HAVE NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE AND ARE NOT TRAINED IN THIS AREA - this can be very dangerous and could easily kill you if you are not exactly sure of what you are doing!!!!!!!!!
I am not very hardware-savvy, so I would definitely use an electrician. Thank you for the detailed explanation!
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

vesteroid

« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2015, 10:56:08 AM »
There is no neutral in a 240 circuit, only two conductors and a ground.

As was mentioned above, there are additional considerations for safety and code compliance.

donn

« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2015, 06:04:59 AM »
You'll get 4 wires out of a typical US 240V appliance though, and one of them is more neutral than ground, the other is more ground than neutral.  Web search will turn up thousands of questions and attempted answers for this issue.  I like propane.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2015, 06:25:18 AM »
You'll get 4 wires out of a typical US 240V appliance though, and one of them is more neutral than ground, the other is more ground than neutral.  Web search will turn up thousands of questions and attempted answers for this issue.  I like propane.

The plug on an electric range or dryer only has three prongs on it.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

mcmasterp

« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2015, 06:26:05 AM »
You have an older plug peter. New ones have four

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2015, 08:22:17 AM »
You have an older plug peter. New ones have four

Huh.  That's interesting...  I guess I'm old, and all my stuff is old too.  But I learned something today, so I have that going for me.  :-)
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2015, 09:12:17 PM »
Any news on he Bullet?  My HT control board is getting mighty flaky, and I may soon have a need (read: excuse) to find a replacement.  (No, don't tell me how easy it is to replace the board!)
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

Offline whattodo

• Standard User
  • Coffee tastes & Taste in the mug
Re: New 1 kg Roaster Alternative_Bullet R1
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2015, 06:29:03 AM »
I placed my pre-order. ;D It looks like shipping will start in January 2016.
Roaster: Quest M3/Bullet R1
Grinder: Two Sage Smart, Two Harios
Brewing: Brazen Plus, Thermos Nissan, Bodum Cold Brewer, Chemex 8 Cup, Yama Vacuum 8 Cup & 5 Cup, Vev Vigano Carioca Nero, Bonavita Porcelain Immersion Coffee Dripper, Aeropress, Saeco Espresso, Beko Turkish Coffee Brewer

jspain

« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2015, 06:37:26 AM »

Congrats! Looking forward to your updates as you learn your new toy!

I looked the bullet over with great detail out in Seattle at the SCAA. It will be good to get a hands on feedback from a member here. Good luck!  Jim

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2015, 08:37:22 AM »

I'm interested as well. It looks interestingly different. I like that it doesn't resemble a miniature commercial roaster. However I am not sure why the Probat Sample roaster design hasn't been made bigger, I think that would be an interesting concept.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Furious George

« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2015, 05:59:42 AM »

Congrats!!!!  Completely jealous. I wanted to pre-order one as well, but the wife thought I was going a little nuts on coffee supplies lately (maybe she's right  :-X

Please let us know your thoughts as you start to use it. 

Good luck and happy roasting

Offline 9Sbeans

• Standard User
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2015, 11:20:04 AM »