Author Topic: Why get a popcorn pumper instead of a poppery II  (Read 5304 times)

Offline parkerto

• Standard User
Why get a popcorn pumper instead of a poppery II
« on: April 24, 2015, 09:29:28 AM »
I already have a poppery II, so is a popcorn pumper an upgrade?

Thanks
Todd

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
Re: Why get a popcorn pumper instead of a poppery II
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 09:49:44 AM »
I used a variety of popcorn poppers before switching to a SC/TO.  My favorite popcorn based device BY FAR used a sifter and a lid which allowed for some temperature control independent of bean load. . Google "Screen-bottom popper solution (Presto Poplite)" if you are interested.  However, moving to a SC/TC was a vast improvement over any of my previous attempts.  It cost me about $45 to put together initially.  Of course, over time I added temperature probes which added to the cost.
AZ Peter

Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline Batman

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 11:24:15 AM »
Some popcorn pumpers are 1250 watt (some are 14XX even?).  I had a Poppery II that was 1200 and a pumper that was 1250. 

The pumper mainly gave me the ability to overcome slightly colder ambient temperatures where the poppery struggled...note, that is not a statement backed by any actual measurables...just an observation (possibly imagined).

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 11:50:52 AM »
My first popcorn pumper was the 1450W model and had a much more substantial heat chamber than some of the later models.  It was cast out of something, not just stamped sheet metal.  This gives better stability and consistency, I believe, as well as more power.  The fan motor wasn't as powerful as a Poppery I, though. 

Offline parkerto

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 04:40:20 AM »
Can someone point me to sc/to forum? I can't find it and I need to fabricate a roasted because my foreman I use to roast just went out.   

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Todd

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 06:26:43 AM »
Can someone point me to sc/to forum? I can't find it and I need to fabricate a roasted because my foreman I use to roast just went out.   

Look in this Hardware & Equipment forum... it's stickied near the top.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 06:29:00 AM by peter »
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 11:17:34 AM »
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline parkerto

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 02:43:10 PM »

Look in this Hardware & Equipment forum... it's stickied near the top.
Peter, it seems you are  really into sc/co.  I researched and it seems to me the wiring mod for the stir crazy would be complicated for me.  I am not handy. Do you know anything about www.u-roast-em.com? They sell a complete one for $177, I know making one would cost about $100, but like I said...I am a bit intimidated.   So,  is that  price worth it?  Would buying a nesco, freshroast, or behmor be better? I ask because my foreman rotisserie mod only lasted about 30 roasts and I don't want to keep doing replacements.   Thanks so much for your help!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Todd

Offline parkerto

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 02:43:54 PM »
Obviously,  anyone else who wants to chime in, don't be shy 😃

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Todd

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 03:17:05 PM »
Todd,

As much as I dislike hijacking this thread  ;) I've heard about u-roast-em's SC/TO, but after scouring their site, I no longer see it being offered.  Perhaps you could post a link to the page you're referring to for me to look it over.  There's a chance I could build you one for less, depending on the shipping costs and what mods they incorporate.  Or, I could modify only the Stir Crazy for you, and you could source the TO on your own and simply plop it on the SC you get from me.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 03:31:25 PM »
It seems to me it takes much more mechanical aptitude just to roast coffee, the SC/TO mod is much easier, very simple process to build. I have built many of them for family and friends and would be happy to modify a stir crazy for you, PM me if I can help.

Cheers
Rich 

So many variables in roasting coffee to get it rite, I guess that is what I mean by  "mechanical aptitude in roasting"  took me several roast and several hours of studying to figure it out, that was about 5 years ago, Human manual pid input is the only way to really learn roasting, SC/TO gives you that flexibility. It was easy to get up to speed on my drum roaster from what I learned on the SC/TO.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 08:29:38 PM by sea330 »

Offline parkerto

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 04:57:43 PM »
Yeah,  I just saw it is out of stock when clicking buy button.  I am sure Peter we are looking at the same site. 

If either Peter and Rich want to build me one I would buy it.   Rich,  you say roasting coffee takes more mechanical aptitude?  Did I misunderstand the instructions? 

http://biobug.org/coffee/turbo-crazy/

This site and others talk about disconnecting or taping off wires.  I also have the idea with the nut assembly but do not really know what exactly to buy...

Todd

Offline parkerto

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 05:01:38 PM »
It is my understanding that if you do not disable the heating element on the stir crazy it can be unsafe?  That is why I would rather have someone who knows what they are doing help. Lastly, what do you guys think about the two mods on this site?

Todd

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 06:23:08 PM »
I believe that the stir crazy thermostat is set so low (<350 degrees F)that it doesn't pose a safety hazard to leave it active.  However, in Arizona during the summer, the extra heat created by having it always on was detrimental to the roast.  In the winter, I occasionally used it at the beginning of the roast.  Disconnecting it is VERY easy and not having it available  shouldn't affect most roasting situations.

I used to use Peter's stirring shaft and rod design with great success - particularly with smaller batches.  Later I modified my roaster similar to Sea330 to increase batch size substantially and had equal success once I dialed things in.  I like having a bean temp probe and an environmental probe, but could probably skip the EP. I don't like the idea of holes in the aluminium spacer as shown on the website, but rather have one end of the spacer loose so it can be opened or closed to control heat. 

The SC/TO has been very reliable and only was retired for small batches because I bought a used Hottop.  I still use it when I'm roasting larger quantities of beans for my church.
AZ Peter

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 06:33:21 PM »
Also, I have no idea who can do it (peter?, JohnF? Joe?), but perhaps some of this thread  should be moved to a SC/TO thread for consistency.
AZ Peter