Author Topic: Grain coffee moisture tester  (Read 4999 times)

Offline Monito

• Distributor
  • I have 4 coffee Roasters and I don't collect them!
Re: Grain coffee moisture tester
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 07:30:28 PM »
So many people have been scammed in Alibaba that I deter from it.

Pat

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 06:12:49 AM »
Good to know Monito, I ordered a item about a year ago threw them, process went with out a hitch. I have been looking for a moisture tester, may go a head and get this one, can't beat the price.

Offline stevea

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 12:09:02 PM »
sea330 - did you ever order this one ?
I have a need for such a moisture tester but .... never bought via alibaba and their ads always look frighteningly cheesie.

"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow."  — Mark Twain

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 04:26:46 PM »
this is a vendor you can get one http://www.farmcomp.fi/en/wile/products/wile-for-grain/wile-55
I haven't ordered it yet, still thinking.

Cheers

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 05:55:15 PM »
sea, Im not seeing where you can actually order one from that website.  It has info about the products but no ordering page unless Im going senile.

I was thinking of contacting them, there are several questions Id like to ask them.   If there is an interest AND they would do it, I could pick up a number of them to sell to the club members.  I don't even know what it costs though so can't commit to anything but it does look interesting.

Honestly though, for those of us who are not uber nerd dweeby types, what would telling us the moisture content in the beans actually allow us to do, beside add more columns to our data reams?    Wow it has 12 percent instead of 7 percent i need to let it dry for an extra 10 seconds?

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 06:03:57 PM »
Sorry for the multiple post but....

Alibaba's description .vs. when you go to the actual companies website which is in Finland, is a bit different on the model number.
On the companies website, it lists specific meters for specific things, and coffee is a separate category.
On AliBaba, they are notorious for generalizing, ie they love to use a ton of 'keywords' to get you to their page, then its up to you to try to figure out if that product is what you wanted or not.

Manufacturer -
We have a meter,  it has 7 different 'setups' or models, and can measure moisture in 65 different mediums.  Choose what you want to measure moisture in and then get the correct model for your specific product.

Alibaba - We have a meter that measures moisture in 65 different mediums, only 140 dollars!  You go now!!

Be careful when dealing with them, KNOW the exact specs of what you want and the exact model number.  Don't trust their write up that it's what you really want.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 08:10:00 PM »
You can get an idea on moisture content, a rough idea, by measuring volume and then weighing.  More weight in the same volume tells you more moisture.  Different beans would have to be roughly the same size.  I'd say for most of us, that would get you close enough, at least in the ballpark.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 01:54:48 AM »
Some beans are denser than others, not necessarily water weight either.  Smaller beans would appear more 'dense / watery' because they would take up the same volume in a container yet weigh more because they are able to be packed in tighter.  The only real way to tell volume displaced would be to displace water and measure it.  That might make them have a little bit more moisture content in them :D   Id recommend using very hot water, that way when you are done figuring out the volume, you can have some coffee-tea to sip on.

Aaron

Offline stevea

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 09:39:57 PM »
Hmm - you can actually measure moisture by weighing before and after tossing some beans in a low oven for a couple hours.

But Aaron's right - the density of the actual bean matter varies a lot.   I had some big Mex beans a few years ago that were very low density  (and not very good) and then some of the small funky-shaped beans (ethiop or yemeni) seem far more dense than a typical C/S American arabica.  Then we get to the issue of the bean size having an effect on the gap volume.

I really want the device to measure grain moisture, but coffee is a plus too.
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow."  — Mark Twain

upshot

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 03:27:00 PM »
I just purchased a grain moisture tester on eBay to try out on coffee. I think that the calibration is the critical factor on whether this works on corn, or soy beans, or whatever you have...but you have to calibrate using a known sample of the target grain/bean/seed. I bought this for the ridiculous price of $14.00 plus shipping. It is not new, and sold for around $200.00 new. I put some greens I had laying around, and I got a reading of 12%. This could be right, or it could be wrong. I wouldn't know because I don't have a control sample. Anybody know where I can buy greens of a known moisture content? Would love to see my $14.00 investment pay off  ;D!

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 04:03:19 PM »
Well if you ground them up and brewed them, I am guessing the moisture content would be extremely close to 100 percent right? :D

Aaron

upshot

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 04:18:52 PM »
Shocking!!  :o  Should I roast them first Aaron ::)??  LOL

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 06:42:21 PM »
Actually isn't there a green coffee - tea .... whatever you want to call it...out there made from soaking green beans?

But YES you have to roast them first, you have to drive all the moisture out of them before you re hydrate them so you don't accidentally go over 100 percent moisture in them.

Finding a sample with a set moisture content I thing may be a bit difficult to keep the content at a set level.  Id think you'd have to control atmospheric pressure, temperature and some other factors too.  What happens over time with cellular breakdown, would they hold more or less water?

is  that water percentage by weight or volume?  and what is the error on it?  ie Plus / Minus how much?

Aaron

upshot

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 07:57:21 PM »
Oh my lord! I can only imagine how bad that green coffee tea might be.

Actually, I'm not looking for a sample with a "set" moisture content, just a sample with a "known" moisture content so I can calibrate this darn meter. Not even remotely interested in trying to maintain a set moisture content with the beans I inventory...that would be absurd, and a total waste of time & energy...neither of which I have an abundance.