Author Topic: Using the HotTop 2k+  (Read 1255 times)

stevemac00

Using the HotTop 2k+
« on: October 13, 2015, 01:22:24 PM »
I've been using the HT-B since 2003 but my heater coil broke. When I saw the 2k+ upgrade I decided to go all the way since it reduced my costs.

Like all HT products, it's on the expensive side but I think you get a fair value. They really improved things! The heater coil is better supported to last longer. You also get a new eject solenoid with an improved mount and protective cover.

But the biggest improvements are the new rotary knobs, new temperature probes (1 for environment and 1 for bean mass) and a USB interface with built-in support from Artisan.

It took a few hours to do the rebuild as almost everything is new but I took overnight so I could thoroughly clean my gummed up roaster. (It's hard to say but that thing had probably roasted over a ton of coffee.)

I soaked all metal in Oxi-Clean overnight then hosed it off. It really looks like new and just now starting to break-in after eight weeks or so.

I'm really glad I waited for this upgrade. It's so easy to use Artisan with the delta-T graphs and temperature future projections to get the curves very close even on the first batch of new beans. For subsequent roasts I can overlay the new graphs over the old to compensate for my previous mistakes.

The heater can now be adjusted in 1% increments but I didn't really need that much granularity. (Maybe in the future the software will automatically match the roast to my input curve like a self driving car.)

It was expensive ($560) but I got a lot of new parts in addition to the great new features.