Author Topic: La Pavoni europiccola -need help  (Read 3222 times)

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
La Pavoni europiccola -need help
« on: November 02, 2015, 10:52:24 AM »
So I picked up a used Europiccola from Craigslist. I have made a nice shot from the double basket already and I have found I can go with a finer grind for sure. However this thing has no gauge no way for me to tell what temp etc and it takes a while to heat up. The buttons don't light up or give indications as far as I can tell and the over pressure valve hisses when the steam is powered.

So let me have it all you lever freaks l, let me know why I should keep this over my Gaggia and bring me up to speed.

JSpain told me when I met him in Ohio that this is definitely not a king has no clothes story.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline NightFlight

• Standard User
Re: La Pavoni europiccola -need help
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 04:00:01 PM »
Joe, I would advise you to search each topic over at HB and the answers that you cannot find then ask the lever heads in a new topic.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 06:00:42 PM »
Joe, I would advise you to search each topic over at HB and the answers that you cannot find then ask the lever heads in a new topic.

Yeah I have done some quick scanning but seriously HB isn't my type of crowd. There is a level of minutia that I want to cut through and just get to the meat and potatoes. Plus keeping info on our forums would be awesome. We got enough lever freaks to fill a couple threads...

jspain

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 04:24:29 AM »
Joe,

Sounds like something electrical/gauge/connection going on i8nside.....? I'd tear her apart and see what's going on.

DON'T GIVE UP ON LEVERS!!! I still love both my Cremina and my PVL!!! I currently have my PVL on the shop table getting new piston gaskets installed. Maintenance on all espresso machines are important lever or HX. My guess is the previous owner sold the La Pavoni rather then fixing her. The La Pavoni is not the high end lever.

Good luck!

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 09:49:41 AM »
Well it appears to be working correctly. I descaled her this morning. The Gaggia Aluminum boiler gets up to temp ultra fast so I am assuming this is normal operations with the La Pavoni (Brass?). I had a pasquini livietta which is a rebadged Olympia maximatic. So I would definitely be up for a trade for a Cremina in case anyone prefers a La Pavoni.  8)

I have found a few techniques that are starting to work for me;
 I definitely have to wait until it is up to temp and I avoid the II setting now. I like th pump 4 times method before pull it seems to get the volume and pull tension about right. I am going to try with some fresh 8) beans soon to see if I can't get the crema back to Gaggia standards. I noticed that the II (steam) setting seems to make it hotter than I like which is all the hissing and if the water is above the sight glass it really hisses.

donn

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 07:00:21 AM »
Fresh beans?  That might not be a bad idea.

We gave ours away, having a surfeit of lever machines, and anyway it was the larger model with a pressurestat and gauge, so no advice on operation.  I will say that if you get the temperature under control, your espresso may be better tasting than you might predict just judging by the amount of crema.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 04:59:40 PM »
I'd love to have a machine like this in a log cabin on a lake where I had lots of time to experiment with it.

I think pretty big swings of different quality shots including some super freaking good but probably not immediately repeatable shots will be the norm.

It might not be a strong day to day (go to) type machine but it should be a really fun "ride the ride" machine.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 05:47:42 PM »
There is definitely a huge learning curve to these, mine doesn't get nearly the use that it ought to (probably because I have found the Mypressi Twist to be quicker and more consistent).  The trick seems to be getting a rhythm so that the heat stays consistent.  That being said, I can't say I have ever pulled 3 consecutive shots that were identical, and rarely 2.  Someday I'm going to hook a 2-zone thermocouple to it, that might help.  The wet rag trick is good when using the #2 switch setting.  I do have a pressure gauge on mine, so that helps.  I need to get a naked portafilter, too. That was something that I've been spoiled by.

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 05:50:24 PM »
I think pretty big swings of different quality shots including some super freaking good but probably not immediately repeatable shots will be the norm.

It might not be a strong day to day (go to) type machine but it should be a really fun "ride the ride" machine.

Exactly! That's how I see mine.  If I need a "get me out the door" beverage it is still too slow and risky.  But it sure is fun to play with, and entertaining with guests.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 09:23:14 AM »
Well, my one-hole steam tip arrived and I am now enjoying this machine a lot more. I didn't realize how much being able to make good foam mattered to me. Anyways even with fresh beans I don't get that much crema at the moment.

Question, I don't feel at anytime that the Lever is too hard to pull down. I could basically push t down as fast as I want. I do notice the shot will choke if I pull it down too fast when it is ground finer than I have it. But if I pull the shot slowly it seems to be about right, however not a lot of crema. Would this indicate a Seal change is in order? I had always imagined that the piston would be harder to compress if the grind was too fine.

jspain

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 09:38:47 AM »
Joe,

You should get resistance that will increase after the initial pull and heat up of the machine. If it is to easy to pull then try tamping a bit harder "if" the grind is right?

Creama will also differ with the coffee you are using.... Try a different variety and/or blend to increase your creama. If it still does not give a good creama check the pressure and heat settings....  Good luck! 

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 09:40:43 AM »
Joe,

You should get resistance that will increase after the initial pull and heat up of the machine. If it is to easy to pull then try tamping a bit harder "if" the grind is right?

Creama will also differ with the coffee you are using.... Try a different variety and/or blend to increase your creama. If it still does not give a good creama check the pressure and heat settings....  Good luck!

I get resistance just not a lot.

How do you check the heat and pressure settings on this?

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2015, 12:31:48 PM »
Figured out the resistance bit with some videos, I also checked my seals and they are all legit. I think the main issue for me was waiting until it was at proper temp which does take a while. I also had to wait until the pressure built up with the pre-infusion. I got some nice crema from my shots with the machine now and the milk is amazing with the single hole. So we had a bunch of people over and they wanted some Latte's...I quickly put the Gaggia back in her rightful place and made 3 latte's without much thought....So I think I am over my Lever rabbit hole. Good news is I decided to sell the La Pavoni at the same price roughly I found it for:

http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=19615.0

Click away and be blessed ;D

day

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 10:43:48 PM »
You ever get it under control? The key to temperature is timing when you bleed the air from the boiler. Wait till you are ready, purge, then just a few seconds to wait. Really need to hit hb for key reading on the pavoni though, some specifics have to be done correctly and understood to pull it off, ime. Will dominate a gaggia classic after that;) to be sure.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 02:50:32 PM »
You ever get it under control? The key to temperature is timing when you bleed the air from the boiler. Wait till you are ready, purge, then just a few seconds to wait. Really need to hit hb for key reading on the pavoni though, some specifics have to be done correctly and understood to pull it off, ime. Will dominate a gaggia classic after that;) to be sure.

Yeah I guess. I mean a gaggia classic can dominate if you do all the song and dance stuff too. But you have to be on that path of balancing on one toe and holding your breath before you pull a shot and hope you didn't forget anything along the way...Not my thing. I get it though for certain personalities this hits all the checkmarks.