Author Topic: West German Antique hand mill Grinders  (Read 9735 times)

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
Re: West German Antique hand mill Grinders
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2015, 10:58:40 AM »
The first photo looks much more consistent, most particles of similar size - seem that way to you?

yes for sure, but we are talking about a $1000(new) Mazzer super Jolly vs a $150(est. new price) hand grinder. I have a couple more of these coming, another PeDe and a Lehnartz. I'll compare them all. I think there might be some technique stuff I need to learn as well....It seems like any start stop motion might cause some chunks to happen.  have read that the Lehnartz grinders are usually a little better built.

What I am trying to figure out, is that we say the grinder is everything for coffee...start with a grinder etc.. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this over say a baratza entry grinder. Depending on the condition of the grinder it seems that this would work for espresso as well. Maybe slightly more work but if I was into Levers this is the direction i would go. I mean if you are into being one with the process I can't think of a better way than with a hand mill and a lever.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

donn

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2015, 06:45:13 PM »
My interest is kind of academic at this point, but there was a time - before I got that Nuova Simonelli grinder - I was trying to make it work with a hand grinder.  And sort of wondering why it can't be done.

With a relatively coarse grind like that, the spread of particle sizes might have something to do with velocity.  At hand crank speed, pieces of bean are sifting and sliding around in the mill and getting scraped and mashed, where at much higher powered speed everything I imagine there's a type of cleaving that doesn't occur at slow speeds.

At the espresso grind I was going for, there's also a problem of adjustment - the burrs might not fit together that close, but anyway even if they do, the two burrs aren't really fixed together on the same shaft, and accordingly there seems to be some play.  Some designs are worse than others.

Those are a couple of theories, which sure could turn out to have nothing to do with whether a hand grinder delivers good results or not.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
West German Antique hand mill Grinders
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2015, 07:58:19 PM »

Ok now this is definitely espresso worthy. I picked this one up for $35 on eBay and it looks way worse but grinds beautifully! Very consistent. It is missing the clips that hold the grinds drawer in, but the quality of grind is definitely on par with the mazzer...$35 the thumb print is there to show how it compresses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2015, 08:01:24 PM »

Nice and fine. It can go finer if I want

donn

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2015, 06:20:50 AM »
This isn't the same one that appeared on the previous page, right?  Is there a distinguishing feature, so as you could now pick out the ones that work like that, given a picture or whatever?

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2015, 09:48:08 AM »
This isn't the same one that appeared on the previous page, right?  Is there a distinguishing feature, so as you could now pick out the ones that work like that, given a picture or whatever?

If you look about two posts above yours you can see the two mills. The one on the right is the One fffolks sent me, which has the grinds on page 1. The one on the left with the drawer open is the more beat up one that I got for $35 and is the grinds just pictured. The new one is the smaller one with an all metal top.

I'll do a detailed picture show soon. I still have one more en route that was a little more money but the guy at Orphan Espresso raves about them on H-B.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 09:51:38 AM by Joe »

Offline fffolks

• Standard User
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2015, 02:24:39 PM »
Don't put too much stock in a certain style or maker having a consistent grind or the ability to grind for espresso from one grinder to the next.  They are notoriously inconsistent. These things were built by hand 50-60 years ago and there are too many variables that can effect grind, including usage, wear and build quality. This is why a lot of people give up when trying to find a vintage grinder for espresso. Joe, if I had known you were looking for an espresso grinder, that is not the one I would have sent. As far as makers that you stand a chance of getting an espresso grind: KyM, PeDe, Lehnhartz and sometimes  Zassenhaus. Your experience may surely differ.
Coffee, the favorite drink of the civilized world.
-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2015, 02:30:39 PM »
Don't put too much stock in a certain style or maker having a consistent grind or the ability to grind for espresso from one grinder to the next.  They are notoriously inconsistent. These things were built by hand 50-60 years ago and there are too many variables that can effect grind, including usage, wear and build quality. This is why a lot of people give up when trying to find a vintage grinder for espresso. Joe, if I had known you were looking for an espresso grinder, that is not the one I would have sent. As far as makers that you stand a chance of getting an espresso grind: KyM, PeDe, Lehnhartz and sometimes  Zassenhaus. Your experience may surely differ.

Yeah I am strictly using this for camping/power outage and Drip/Pour over/ French press. I am super stoked on the one I got from you. I noticed that the PeDe you gave me the aroma from the grinds is 2x as much. But the small PeDe is able to grind finer. I was doing the comparisons more for others edifications.

This is a whole new world for me though, not willing to sell the Mazzer but maybe the Cunil ;D

Offline fffolks

• Standard User
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2015, 02:38:55 PM »
I just love that they are made of wood and steel and continue to work as intended 50 years later.
Coffee, the favorite drink of the civilized world.
-Thomas Jefferson

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2015, 06:35:24 PM »
Joe, some more fodder for you:

Click on any picture to get to item.

An old Zassenhaus. Auction closes tomorrow 6:30 pm PT. Currently going for $14.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2015, 10:02:49 PM »
That looks nice. The new grinder just showed up and the grind quality is awesome. I have to say these things should not be ignored. I am planning on buying a few and giving them to people who say they can't afford a good burr grinder.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2015, 07:31:31 AM »
That looks nice. The new grinder just showed up and the grind quality is awesome. I have to say these things should not be ignored. I am planning on buying a few and giving them to people who say they can't afford a good burr grinder.

Now that you have so many of them, which one do you recommend?

1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2015, 11:34:15 AM »

Now that you have so many of them, which one do you recommend?

All for different reasons. I am just getting to know them though. I really like the Lehnartz I just picked up. It seems consistent over the spectrum of grinds.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2015, 04:16:56 PM »

Here is the Lehnartz. This grinder grinds very effortlessly compared to the PeDe. I can get really fine grinds as well. The picture is of its medium grind

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2015, 04:20:33 PM »

Here is a finer grind.