Author Topic: Need New Espresso Machine. HELP  (Read 2309 times)

Furious George

Need New Espresso Machine. HELP
« on: November 12, 2015, 05:29:34 AM »
My old Krups espresso machine just kicked the bucket, and I'm looking to finally upgrade my setup.  I'm looking to spend $500 or less. I'm fairly green to the espresso world. I've been making them for 2-3 years now, but haven't time and effort that I have into other parts of my coffee game due to my limited equipment.  This will hopefully now change. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Offline NightFlight

• Standard User
Re: Need New Espresso Machine. HELP
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 05:51:43 AM »
Hello furious and I would love to suggest a machine for you and at 500 dollars you are looking at a used machine but I think before you look for a machine; what kind of grinder do you have?

Furious George

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 06:03:45 AM »
Hello furious and I would love to suggest a machine for you and at 500 dollars you are looking at a used machine but I think before you look for a machine; what kind of grinder do you have?

I am not opposed to going used if it is reliable.   The grinder I currently have is a Capresso Infinity.   

I am a married man with a wife that has a firm grip on my "coin purse"  :o :o

So, I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck here.

jspain

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 06:35:26 AM »
Nightlight asks a very important question.... The grinder is the limiting factor and I am not knowledgeable with your grinder but if it does the job I too believe you are looking for a used machine to fit your budget.

People here know I'm a lever fan!!!!! "If" you are up to the challenge a good lever now, even at a used purchase, could be your last machine with good maintenance and proper handling. I have a PVL and a Cremina. You probably will not find a used Cremina in good shape with your budget, but you may be able to find a nice Ponte Vecchio Lussia for that price. If you have to stay with a pump machine there is many options for purchase used for your budget. I had  Silvia that I PEDed that was wonderful for a starter espresso machine. I'm sure you can find one of those or even a nice Gaggia.....

Have fun with the purchase!

Offline NightFlight

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 06:37:02 AM »
Do you brew coffee any other way than espresso. The reason I ask is because the infinity grinder is an ok grinder for drip coffee and my wife has one for her cuisinart brewer at work. If you brew in other ways, I would suggest that you consider an upgrade to the grinder first and then save for an espresso machine next. I have a baratza preciso which I use here at home for everything other than espresso but can be used for espresso. They can be purchased from baratza and a number of other vendors but if you purchase from baratza they have a refurbished section and the grinders are like new and at a savings. My espresso machine is a breville 920xl and is a fantastic machine and can and should be purchased new and you should be to get one with a discount for around 1,000 dollars. I think if you save just a bit more you will be in espresso heaven. 1,400.00 is bottom dollar cheap for new and a 920xl and refurb baratza vario is a very nice setup in my opinion.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 01:14:23 PM »
The grinder IS critical, otherwise you spent a ton of cash for mediocre at best espresso.  Besides a good grinder can be used for ANY style of brewing with perfection available at your fingertips.  An ok grinder will kill espresso, you need one that is specifically capable of grinding fine enough.  I have seen some used ones for a few hundred bucks, maybe 300 for a higher end one. 

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Furious George

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 01:26:35 PM »
hmmm...... it appears that my grinder may need some upgrading.  Thanks for the advise guys.  Is there certain characteristics in a grinder for you to be able to tell if it will be able to handle a quality espresso grind, or is this just a thing where you have to know the good ones?

Offline Dooglas

• Standard User
  • Sour with notes of new mown grass - is that OK?
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 10:20:51 AM »
Well yes, there are characteristics to look for in a good grinder, but the question you seem to be asking is "what are the least expensive grinders capable of producing a usable espresso grind?".  In my experience the Baratza line are well designed and have excellent manufacturer support. But even there, the Preciso is the least expensive machine with the adjustability to produce decent espresso. In other words - there isn't any free lunch, as you probably suspected. There have been some promotional packages of the Crossland CC1 and the Preciso or Vario grinder showing their heads in the last few months. That is probably about as good as anyone is going to do in the under $1000 category.
I know there are those who say get an old Gaggia Classic and your Capresso Infinity, then work to improve your skills. In my experience, that is simply a formula for frustration. I tried the cheap route first myself, and I have the scars to prove it.  ;)

« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 10:27:57 AM by Dooglas »

GC7

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 09:15:19 AM »
I used a Capresso Infinity grinder for several years. It is adequate for brewed coffee. It leaves huge amounts of coffee behind in the grind chamber and it does not have nearly enough fine control to be even adequate for espresso. You will be disappointed.

Upgrade the grinder first with your present budget. Come back to the espresso machine later. You will make better espresso with a new grinder and your Krups machine than the Capresso with a much more expensive espresso machine.

My 2 cents.

Furious George

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 09:57:22 AM »
ya, looks like the grinder will have to come first.  Sucks because I can't my krups running again.  Guess i'll have to open the pocket book up.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 08:38:31 AM »
Baratza sells refurbished grinders on their website., updated on Thursdays. 
LMWDP #440

Furious George

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 08:45:41 AM »
I ended up picking up a Breville 870xl. they had a display model for sale at too good of a price. Figured it'd be a good machine to get my feet wet on.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2015, 01:12:17 PM »
I have some of the Zassenhaus style grinders coming my way. I might be recommending these shortly as espresso and entry Burr grinder setups.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37