Author Topic: The perfect roaster - be part of something amazing!  (Read 8615 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
The perfect roaster - be part of something amazing!
« on: November 12, 2015, 02:06:12 PM »
Well... it is too early to get into many details but for now I invite you to be part of a creative process.

What if we were building a roaster in the US and had a chance to make it perfect?

What sorts of things would push it over the edge for you and make it a must have piece of equipment?

What batch size would you pick, what features would you like to see on it that other roasters don't have?

What type of support would you like to see...for instance would you like a base platform that upgrade kits would fit on, complete support of parts from motors down to every single screw and full video tutorials on maintenance and repairs all from one source?

Would you like a built in forum for discussing every aspect of the roaster with other users and easy access to the manufacturer?

If the concept sounds interesting to you share your thoughts.......you don't want to be kicking yourself later.  ;)
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
Re: The perfect roaster - be part of something amazing!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 02:09:35 PM »
Obviously I'm in....co thinker of GCBC.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 02:13:03 PM »
Co outlaw.  8)
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline CrabApples6

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 03:00:14 PM »
I'm definitely interested!

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 03:02:02 PM »
I'm definitely interested!

What would be a perfect batch size for you?

Lee Morrison

Offline rcmitchell

• Standard User
  • Where ever I go, there I am
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 03:08:08 PM »
Damn this sounds intresting.  Unfortunately I'm still learning my Behmor and being amazed that I can actually produce something drinkable.

But if I  were to spitball this. . .

A platform concept sounds intresting something a newbe like me could purchase and have grow with me as I grow.  Something a tinkerer would find interesting but not so much DYI that a total engineering neophyte like me couldn't plug and play.  A paltform that could be electric or gas but not exclusively one or the other.  Built in basic programming that can be expanded either by on board hardward or internet driven.  It would roast and speed cool, switching the smoke exhaust to cooling vacuum maybe.  And since I'm spitballing, a machine that will produce the exact right roasting profile regardless of the bean simply by inputting the bean name.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 03:22:21 PM »
That last bit about perfect profile by entering the bean name might require some magic not invented yet but this is the green light thinking stage so cool!  8) 8)

Lee Morrison

Offline rcmitchell

• Standard User
  • Where ever I go, there I am
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 05:17:04 PM »
That last bit about perfect profile by entering the bean name might require some magic not invented yet but this is the green light thinking stage so cool!  8) 8)

I figured I'd  get flagged on the last part.  But I had to throw it out there.   :o

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 05:33:29 PM »
spitball time:

Made and fabricated -USA
-Drum- preforated or solid with a twist of a knob
-variable fan speed
-variable drum speed
-attached bean cooler
-efficient NG or propane gas or 110VAC electric doesn't matter but wired for US only
-Easy PID control - fully auto with alarm for dump.
-not unnecessarily bulky or heavy- the sonofresco proves this is possible.
-Stainless steel and easy to clean,
-chaff collector,
-easy disassembly
1 lb + finished roast
low cost
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 05:56:52 PM by Joe »

Offline Batman

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 05:45:13 PM »
It definitely needs the ability for another GCBC member to remote into my roaster, take control of the roast process, and rescue some of my batches!

Shootin from the hip with a random mess of thoughts...

I would pick about a pound batch size, but maybe even slightly less.  I think that opens it up to reasonable heat source.  Standard plug voltage or small gas burner.  I don't want to pay for another 220V plug.

I'll throw this out there for parts - figure out how to use the same screw everywhere in the machine.  Make it a common size.

Easy to disassemble / reassemble.

I write software for a living, but am all about the manual roasting process.  If this mythical machine had the option for temp gauges and maybe a built in timer, I'm good.

Viewing windows / triers are fun even if not necessary.

If the barebones machine could be "affordable", it would be nice to be able to get in at a base level and add-on the fancy stuff as wanted/needed.  This add-on part for the birthday...that part for Christmas.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 05:47:19 PM »
It definitely needs the ability for another GCBC member to remote into my roaster, take control of the roast process, and rescue some of my batches!

Shootin from the hip with a random mess of thoughts...

I would pick about a pound batch size, but maybe even slightly less.  I think that opens it up to reasonable heat source.  Standard plug voltage or small gas burner.  I don't want to pay for another 220V plug.

I'll throw this out there for parts - figure out how to use the same screw everywhere in the machine.  Make it a common size.

Easy to disassemble / reassemble.

I write software for a living, but am all about the manual roasting process.  If this mythical machine had the option for temp gauges and maybe a built in timer, I'm good.

Viewing windows / triers are fun even if not necessary.

If the barebones machine could be "affordable", it would be nice to be able to get in at a base level and add-on the fancy stuff as wanted/needed.  This add-on part for the birthday...that part for Christmas.

I like that a lot all of it. I would emphasize ports for all the temp probes, software doohickeys etc. you would want ready, with out drilling or mangling. Add-ons it being some what modular...add on as you can.

Offline Badam

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 08:54:34 PM »
I really like the modular idea. Call me crazy, but I would like the opportunity to add on a bean storage device/hopper that would let me have single charge aliquots lined up ready to be dropped by a machine and maybe even a bean storage locker. This would add to the remote possibilities. I could roast from work with the better half watching for a fire or, having Comcast, an internet outage. Hahaha

For cost concerns and simplicty, a base manual roaster with manual controls and the ability to add on a computer control module that allows for complete variable control. You could log roasts and reproduce them similarly. These logs with enough variables might make for trends between beans to emerge, accounting for elevation, location, varietal, density, processing, moisture content, and all roasting site variables furthering the crazy database idea on a suggested ideal roast profile based on bean.

Perfect Roaster:
-Quality material, low price is great, but more important is that it doesn't keep costing money for repairs every month
-I like a 1lbs+ size roaster
-Gas powered for me because it is far more responsive
-Solid/perforated options, Joe's quick convert sounds awesome as well
-Adjustable drum speed
-Adjustable air flow
-Temp probes (bores at least) are a must for me and my OCD
-A view window or trier
-Chaff collector
-Simple base design (easy to repair and work on)
-Add on modules (remote access, etc...)
-I am not so worried about obscene bulk, but let's get the colors right ;)
-Oversized cooling tray for quick temp drops

« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 09:00:18 PM by Badam »

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2015, 09:09:47 PM »
I think the view window has replaced the need for triers these days. I think the Huky has both but I don't think the trier is necessary anymore

Offline Badam

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2015, 09:20:05 PM »
I think the view window has replaced the need for triers these days. I think the Huky has both but I don't think the trier is necessary anymore

I agree. However, a view window doesn't replicate being able to bring the beans to your face to inspect colors and smell. Practically though, triers probably aren't neccesary for me.

Potential add-on? But you would still have to cut out the location in each unit and add a cover, so there is some cost with that potential add-on.....

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2015, 10:04:51 PM »
A quality steel drum with agressive stirring vanes, balanced, and trued on a lathe. Space/interface between the faceplate and drum; less than the thickness of a business card. No wobbling!