Author Topic: Kitchen aid vacuum brewer  (Read 2653 times)

Offline sea330

• Standard User
Kitchen aid vacuum brewer
« on: November 17, 2015, 09:31:35 AM »
Has anybody checked this out yet

jspain

Re: Kitchen aid vacuum brewer
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 02:55:26 PM »
Never seen one! Looks interesting. I can't make out the filter system?

Where is this one?

Offline sea330

• Standard User

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 04:49:58 PM »
I'm curious too.  I had a neighbor who had one who just moved away. The cup I had from it was pretty good - maybe a bit over extracted with a bit of sediment, but perhaps the coffee was ground too fine. It looked pretty simple to me, but his wife said it was "fussy and hard to clean". However, I think she lives in the Mr. Coffee world. 
AZ Peter

Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline fffolks

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 05:13:54 PM »
Coffee, the favorite drink of the civilized world.
-Thomas Jefferson

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 10:14:48 PM »
I saw this thing last week and almost bought one. Then I remembered the 4 boxes full of coffee brewing paraphernalia in my storage shed and thought better of it. I'll wait until I find one secondhand. The idea of the built in electric heat on a vac brewer is alluring, but I really fear one of my cats would knock the damn thing over before I got tired of it and moved along to the next shiny object in CoffeeLand.

jspain

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 04:21:03 AM »
I LOVE my vac brewed coffee!

This one looks a little pricey. I got three vintage brewers and use my cory rod for under $45. You can grab a new Yama for around $60.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 09:23:39 AM »
I LOVE my vac brewed coffee!

This one looks a little pricey. I got three vintage brewers and use my cory rod for under $45. You can grab a new Yama for around $60.

Ditto.  For me, the advantage of the K/A having its own heating source would be far outweighed by something like the Yama being compatible with a Cory rod.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 02:15:42 AM »
I still have my old Bodum Santos electric vac pot, its still working after all these years and like it a lot.  IT's a great tea kettle too.
Vac pots in general are 'different' in their cleaning requirements but it's not too bad really.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 10:45:08 AM »
I still have my old Bodum Santos electric vac pot, its still working after all these years and like it a lot.  IT's a great tea kettle too.
Vac pots in general are 'different' in their cleaning requirements but it's not too bad really.

Aaron

What? You must have the last working one in existence. Put that in a museum.

Yama FTW
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 10:51:16 AM by Joe »
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Furious George

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 06:07:48 AM »
Looks Cool. 

I've never used a vac pot or even had coffee from one.  What are the advantages of it over other brewing methods (besides looking awesome)?

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 07:38:39 AM »
It produces a very clean and flavorful cup if a cloth filter is used.  With the Cory glass rod (don't think the Kitchen aid can use one), it is a bit less clean, but you get more oils.  I like it a lot, but I can't get my brain wrapped around it first thing in the morning.  It is a midmorning thing for me.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 07:41:03 AM by ptrmorton »
AZ Peter

Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 09:56:56 AM »
advantages is that they have a rubber gasket and some are actually gasket-less but the gasket in no way comes in contact with the coffee. The rest is Glass if you use the cory filter rod(that is the best way IMO). The flavor profile is extremely clean and flavorful compared to a frenchpress its cleaner, compared to a drip machine it's more flavorful. The water is immersed in the coffee when it is in the upper chamber and then is siphoned downward when heat is removed. That is the biggest benefit you aren't running hot water through dead grinds at the end of the brew cycle like in a drip machine and you aren't passing tons of fines through like in a press. it just takes more work and cleaning so it's not the best for the morning cup IMO
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37