Author Topic: Large coffee roaster  (Read 2072 times)

risadg

Large coffee roaster
« on: November 22, 2015, 06:14:35 PM »
Another newbie question (well for my husband who isn't a newbie).
He has a small roaster and needs to roast very often. He has talked about wanting a large coffee bean roaster and only mentioned they cost around $400. I'd love to look into this to surprise him with one as a gift in the new year. Does anyone have any recommendations on roasters and/or a website with good prices on them?
Thank you!

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
Re: Large coffee roaster
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 08:02:34 PM »
Another newbie question (well for my husband who isn't a newbie).
He has a small roaster and needs to roast very often. He has talked about wanting a large coffee bean roaster and only mentioned they cost around $400. I'd love to look into this to surprise him with one as a gift in the new year. Does anyone have any recommendations on roasters and/or a website with good prices on them?
Thank you!

What type of larger roaster are you considering for your husband? And what is a Large amount for him to roast?

I think you probably could get a BBQ grill roaster for around that price and they do handle a larger roast. RKDrums is the only game in town that I know of. I think there a few more options on eBay. All of these types of roasters require a donor BBQ that you will have to add the drum,a rotisserie function and beef up the motor etc.. It's not the type of roaster you would buy and get roasting right away.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 10:39:11 PM by Joe »
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 10:37:41 PM »
My best advice is to give up on the idea of surprising him - it's a decision he has to be a part of.  You could give him a "gift certificate" for whatever amount you'd like him to spend, sort of a blank check but not blank.  A bad surprise is worse than no surprise.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

risadg

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 07:39:52 AM »
Thank you both! I will check out RKdrums, but will pass the info on to my husband. I am in over my head trying to figure this out (-: and yes, it's probably best that he gets to have input on this roaster that he'll be using!
Thank you!!

jspain

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 08:46:40 AM »
Some folks here do not support the Behmor roaster. However I am a supporter of the Behmor roaster. It is a electric drum roaster that can roast "almost" 1#. I use my Behmor as a sample roaster and small batch roasting. They are in the $350 range.

I also agree with Peter that a roaster is a personal item. You could write a "gift Certificate" from you to him and let him look on his own. You can find thee Behmor on line from many vendors and sometimes even a refurbished unit from Behmor at a reduced price. Nice entry level roaster IMHO.

Have fun!

risadg

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 09:19:22 AM »
Thank you Jim!

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 10:37:55 AM »
Some folks here do not support the Behmor roaster. However I am a supporter of the Behmor roaster. It is a electric drum roaster that can roast "almost" 1#. I use my Behmor as a sample roaster and small batch roasting. They are in the $350 range.

I also agree with Peter that a roaster is a personal item. You could write a "gift Certificate" from you to him and let him look on his own. You can find thee Behmor on line from many vendors and sometimes even a refurbished unit from Behmor at a reduced price. Nice entry level roaster IMHO.

Have fun!

in this situation it might be the best option actually. (assuming a few things)
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Furious George

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 06:16:17 AM »
I have to agree with surprise aspect.  It is incredibly generous and thoughtful (Huge wife points!), but this might be something better if he picks out.  I have tried to surprise my wife with a few purses before, but I quickly realized that this is something personal that is better left for her to chose. So, now I just give her the "gift card" and she gets the fun of picking it out without having to disappoint me by returning it :)

That being said.  I love my behmor.  For the price, I don't think you can go wrong.  It's can produce good coffee and is good to learn on. 

Good luck