Author Topic: What kind of roaster do you suggest?  (Read 2943 times)

colorite

What kind of roaster do you suggest?
« on: December 16, 2015, 05:23:23 AM »
Good morning everyone,

I have been roasting coffee in my West Bend Poppery's for a couple years now. I am looking to get more involved with coffee roasting and the possibility of selling to individuals and retail once I learn the ins-and-outs of my new roaster. I am curious as to your thoughts on what roaster is big enough to start a small business with the growing the business using the same roaster. Ideally, I would like to stay under $7000.00 for this new roaster. I live in the US and am looking for a company that provides excellent customer support as well as the ability to get parts for the roaster quickly in case something were to happen to it. Any ideas on roasters would be greatly appreciated, thank you everyone for your thoughts.

Offline sea330

• Standard User
Re: What kind of roaster do you suggest?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 09:11:59 AM »
I started out with a SC/TO coffee roaster and about a year later went to a a 2 Kilo used drum roaster. What I learned is a coffee roaster is not that mechanically complicated, even somebody with marginal mechanical aptitude will figure it out. The complicated part is roasting to get the most out of your beans. Be patient, find a good used roaster to start. I have been on the hunt for a good used 10 to 15 Kilo roaster for several months, eventually something will come up, I don't get in a hurry for anything.       

Offline jordanleaman

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 10:04:54 PM »
I picked up a $10 thrift store bread machine and a $20 Wagner Heat Gun at Home Depot and made myself a pretty awesome rig that can do 2 Lb unroasted at a time.  I hardwired the motor to a light switch for constant motor rotation and bean agitation, and cut a hole in the top of the bread machine for the heat gun to sit in.  I took the bread machine heating coil out entirely, and all heat is supplied by the heat gun.  Typical roast takes 13-19 min depending on what I'm aiming for.  I normally roast 20 oz at a time but I've pushed it upwards of 40oz before with success.  It takes a while to master positioning the heat gun just right at each stage of the roast for a smooth roast profile, but once you get it down, you'll be roasting some fantastic coffee.  I use an adjustable lamp with a hole cut out in it to keep the heat gun at the right heights during the roast, and cool by blowing air from an air mattress pump through a hose into a rectangular frame with a screen in the middle so the cool air is forced up through the beans.  Everything sits on a wooden "tray" I built with handles that I can lift up and carry in one piece.

As far as customer support and parts go, if you build the machine you'll know how to fix it.  If the bread machine gives out, you can grab another at Wal-Mart same-day or Amazon-Prime ship it.  Same with the heat gun and basically anything else on the machine.  Heck, you could just build two machines or three or four or five for $60 a piece.

The machine isn't pretty, but I've spent less than $40 on roasting equipment over the last two years.  If you're willing to put in a little creativity and elbow grease, this could be a great option

jspain

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 05:28:38 AM »
Good morning everyone,

I have been roasting coffee in my West Bend Poppery's for a couple years now. I am looking to get more involved with coffee roasting and the possibility of selling to individuals and retail once I learn the ins-and-outs of my new roaster. I am curious as to your thoughts on what roaster is big enough to start a small business with the growing the business using the same roaster. Ideally, I would like to stay under $7000.00 for this new roaster. I live in the US and am looking for a company that provides excellent customer support as well as the ability to get parts for the roaster quickly in case something were to happen to it. Any ideas on roasters would be greatly appreciated, thank you everyone for your thoughts.

WELCOME to the club!!!!!
Once you get that larger roaster figured out you'll need a place to grab those larger quantity of greens! This is the place! Join in, ask questions, try the greens here from all the distributors, and become part of the community!

Back to your roaster question...... My journey went from small batch roasters to the Sonofresco. The SONO is a fluid bed roaster that is a work horse! They come in 1# and 2# models and can supply your start-up business with no problem. Great roasters and you can buy new from$2500 or get a used one. Plenty available under $1500. I now have a 1.5K gas fired drum. There are several companies that sell smaller drum roasters here in the US both US built and overseas built. There is a long list and I'd suggest deep investigation before buying. New drums go from $4000-infinity depending on size, make, and origin. You "may" be able to find a used drum in good shape for less than $4000. GOOD LUCK on your adventure and once again, welcome to the club!  Jim 

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 12:07:49 PM »
I started out with a SC/TO coffee roaster and about a year later went to a a 2 Kilo used drum roaster. What I learned is a coffee roaster is not that mechanically complicated, even somebody with marginal mechanical aptitude will figure it out. The complicated part is roasting to get the most out of your beans. Be patient, find a good used roaster to start. I have been on the hunt for a good used 10 to 15 Kilo roaster for several months, eventually something will come up, I don't get in a hurry for anything.     

Good Idea,

Did you ever upgrade to the big roaster?
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37