Author Topic: Caravel Portafilter?  (Read 3143 times)

Offline Badam

• Standard User
Caravel Portafilter?
« on: January 12, 2016, 09:47:19 AM »
This showed up for a Christmas present and I could not be happier!  :D

The heating element works, but it is the 220V version, so I've been heating water externally (slightly hotter and then watching temperature drop to ~200F) for ease of use. So far as I can tell there are only 3 blemishes on the machine:
1) There is a small dent in the metal flare at the bottom of the machine which I plan to rectify as soon as I have time and confirm the metal is stainless.
2) There is a small spot bubbling of the powder coating behind the drip tray. I likely will not strip and powder coat the machine unless it gets worse.
3) The bakelite portafilter handle is chipped as seen in the picture below.

My question to the club is can I remove this bakelite handle and replace it? I assume that the handle screws on and off, however I've been unsuccessful in finding a thread (here, HB, or CG) that indicates my suspicions are correct. As you can imagine, I'm not eager to brute-force snap this guy in half given the replacement cost/availability. I have the means of turning a nice wooden portafilter handle and lever handle to match, and I can try to source an aftermarket if the original cannot be removed.

Offline Badam

• Standard User
Re: Caravel Portafilter?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 09:55:07 AM »
The machine also came with these little archaic trinkets. It was billed as an original dosing spoon, but with a lack of knowledge on this subject I am going to doubt it.

Offline Badam

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 11:43:37 PM »
After extensive reading I seem to have found my answer on Home-Barista. There is a bolt inside and the handle can be replaced. No idea why the search function didn't pop this up first go around....

http://www.home-barista.com/levers/arrarex-caravel-t5752-370.html#p133755

In case anyone else has the same problem, or is looking at a Caravel.

It pulls an AMAZING shot of espresso. I would highly recommend it, a neophyte like myself is already able to pull great shots after a month of experimenting.

Offline doubleosoul

• Standard User
  • Blues ain't nothing but a good woman gone bad
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 09:11:48 PM »
I'm really late to the caravel party but wow on the trinkets. Could you indulge us with another pic of the canister? I'm glad to hear you dig the shots too. There are some hard core Caravel lovers (myself included) that's for sure. I still remember when I bought my first Caravel 7 years ago and I still love it.
"Why don't you come on board Brother, and believe in me? And for a small fee, I'll set you free, near thy God to thee." Daddy Rich/Car Wash/Richard Pryor

Offline Badam

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 08:49:02 PM »
I'm really late to the caravel party but wow on the trinkets. Could you indulge us with another pic of the canister? I'm glad to hear you dig the shots too. There are some hard core Caravel lovers (myself included) that's for sure. I still remember when I bought my first Caravel 7 years ago and I still love it.

I am definitely in the pro-Caravel camp. I was REALLY lucky to find a beautiful example of a v1.1. The shots that I can pull with it far surpass anything I've ever drank. My idea of a "god-shot" has been changed quite a bit. Lately I've been looking to find a good condition VAM but wow the prices....

I would be happy to put up a few more pictures of the canister. I've not spent any time cleaning it up because I'm afraid as soon as I touch it, I'll ruin the whole thing.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 08:53:34 PM by Badam »

Offline Badam

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 08:54:27 PM »
...and one more with the lid open. I wouldn't put coffee in there yet.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 11:33:00 PM »
Looks cool
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 11:03:56 AM »
nice score, congrats.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 11:09:50 AM by expy98 »

Offline doubleosoul

• Standard User
  • Blues ain't nothing but a good woman gone bad
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 09:11:09 PM »

I would be happy to put up a few more pictures of the canister. I've not spent any time cleaning it up because I'm afraid as soon as I touch it, I'll ruin the whole thing.

Bless your heart. That canister is a stone cold killer. I've never seen one before and its not like I don't snoop on Ebay.it. Thank you for posting. :)
"Why don't you come on board Brother, and believe in me? And for a small fee, I'll set you free, near thy God to thee." Daddy Rich/Car Wash/Richard Pryor