Author Topic: Cleaning turbo oven glass  (Read 1823 times)

bobbooks

Cleaning turbo oven glass
« on: March 10, 2016, 07:51:34 AM »
Mineral Spirits (charcoal lighter) and steel wool will do the job with ease.  Then simply wash off the glass with a little dawn soap and water.  Bingo!

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Cleaning turbo oven glass
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 10:09:57 AM »
Good tip.  I've used oven cleaner, followed up by a razor blade with good results.  But my glass only gets cleaned nowadays, when my TO needs repairs; the glass is so much easier to clean when the unit is disassembled and all you have is the glass ring. 

In roasting, I rely so heavily on temp and smell, that seeing the beans isn't very important to me, and the one time that I want to get a visual (after drying phase, to verify they've gone from green to yellow) that I'll just lift the lid for a couple seconds.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

bobbooks

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 04:39:42 PM »
You can do a good roast in the dark just sniffing.  Being a novice and still learning the basics, I need the lights on, thermocouples, timers, other toots and whistles!   

Did a couple of roasts today.  Learned even more about capacity of my SC/TO, even roasting and reducing the heat after 1C.  Getting another batch of beans next week from Jinotega bought at the farm gate.  Had two die hard coffee drinkers say, "best ever."

Thank you Peter, for all your encouragement and coaching.

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 06:52:39 PM »
Bobbooks,  peter is the resident expert and head cheerleader for SC/TO roasting, but just to put in my two cents, I think SC/TO roasting is the BEST way to learn the art of the roast although there are easier ways when starting out.  I have various temp probes too which are nice for learning or sharing roasting ideas, but now I generally ignore them.  Sound and smell tell the tale. As far as sight goes, I have most of the glass portion insulated (to help with large batches) except for a small window to make sure I don't burn my garage down  ;D,  A razor blade suffices for that. I think you'll be amazed how easy it is to roast most beans in the SC/TO after a few months.

FYI, occasionally giving the SC/TO a blast of compressed air to clean out chafe does wonders for consistency (and fire prevention).  Unfortunately, I tend to be lazy and only remember when I notice the unit is smoking without any beans in the SC! ::)

Happy Roasting.
AZ Peter

Proverbs 3:5-6