Author Topic: Rafino sieving system  (Read 13976 times)

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
Re: Rafino sieving system
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2016, 11:01:23 PM »
Yeah I just removed his direct link to their kickstarter. You know to make it less spammy.

But no man, its never ok on any forum I know of to just pop in and say "Hey check out www.spamisawesome.com" i haven't heard anyone talking about it and i normally don't post here...

get the drift? If you don't then you will probably have more bigger problems on other forums. For us we call it like it is and let you live unless it looks like that is how you are going to be.

btw you missed out on this Gem while wasting your time on other forums ;D
Super Grinder
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 11:37:54 PM by Joe »
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline samuellaw178

• Standard User
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2016, 01:36:10 AM »
btw you missed out on this Gem while wasting your time on other forums ;D
Super Grinder

Ouch! Not. :P I'm from the land down under, so not really feasible to bring it all the way here. That'd be $2.5k from our lens just from conversion alone.  ;D

p/s: reasonable policies there, not many forum allows external links anyway.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2016, 06:48:30 AM »
Sweet, I spent some time in Catherine and Darwin while I was in the military. Sydney and a few surf spots from Endless Summer are on my bucket list.

I am curious to see how the sifter works and if people actually enjoy using it despite my skepticism for my personal use and so I wasn't joking when I said let us know when it comes in what your actual thoughts on it are.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2016, 09:43:32 AM »

You say that TDS changes the flavor of the coffee, and this sifter may alter that flavor because of a change in TDS.  Agreed.

if the solids are truly dissolved I don't think they will be coming out of solution quite that easily.   if you are talking about suspended solids now that's a different story and this sifting might get rid of some of the fines that hang in the coffee after brewing.   On that though leaving the cup set out for a bit, a lot of the suspended stuff settles out and that would change the flavor too right?

Use your swiss gold / French press and you will see what I mean in the bottom of your cup after half an hour.  I have a vac pot and the filter on that seems very fine and it gives a very clean pot of coffee.  One could arguably say that using a finer filter may get rid of the solids just as easier perhaps even easier as you don't have to do all the manual labor of sifting now.

Whats the difference between 'fines' and 'finely ground coffee'.  If you break a crumb in half, do you have half a crumb, or two crumbs? Will this sifter sort by shape of ground as well?   One could feasibly use the sifted out fines in an espresso then?

Yes it's a new gadget to play with, but is it really functional?  of COURSE the person selling it is going to try dearly to convince you it's the next best thing since sliced bread, they want to profit off you but is it really?  I could stick the coffee under a pyramid, next to a sea urchins shin splinter, and pray to the moon fairy but is that really going to do something new to make it better that can't already be obtained with just a different filter method, brew method etc etc.

To put it another way,  think of Sea Salt.   Salt is Sodium Chloride.  NaCl, plain and simple.  it doesn't matter where you get it, NaCl is NaCl and all taste the SAME.  People however like sea salt, say it taste better, but the reason is NOT because it's from the sea directly, but because of minor impurities in it, impart a slightly different flavor (salt fines maybe??) that people tend to like over the purer stuff. (It's not the Salt flavor they like it's the imperfections in it) Now let's do a little marketing spin and glamorizing and suddenly Sea Salt is the shiznit.  But oh WAIT!!  that's not good enough, you have to have PURE Sea Salt to really be an affectionato. If if's truly pure then that would actually ruin the flavor because you are removing the little things out of it that are what is wanted, and this wonderful sea salt would taste just like any other salt.  UNLESS, you are actually marketing the pure impurities..  :o 8)

People like starbucks too, but is it really a better way to do coffee?

If this thing ever comes to market it will be very interesting to hear your report as you put it to the test.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

upshot

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2016, 12:28:08 PM »
If you break a crumb in half, do you have half a crumb or two crumbs?

Aaron

Aaron? Is this anything like digging a hole half as deep? Your 'too-philosophical-for-me' post gets my vote for Post of the Thread award!

My 2.5 cents:

I get that some people are totally into the micro management of their coffee experience...I'm totally not one to judge. The success of the Rafino Kickstarter campaign proves that there are plenty of coffee lovers who would consider using a sieve system each and every time they prepare their "ideal" coffee, and I know that some of them will fail to clean their grinder each and every time they grind the beans that they sieve, which makes me chuckle. Everyone has their own way of enjoying the experience of coffee of which we all share a passion.

Being the guy who posted about the moisture tester I just acquired, I view sieving as nothing more than a "calibration" tool whose purpose is to confirm that the setting on ones grinder produces a consistent output upon which one bases their extraction variables, and not as a post grind correction. As others pointed out, this would be a very wasteful way of "perfecting" a cup of coffee. I am like Peter, I love the variation of the experience, and I love the imperfections of coffee, as you pointed out Aaron. I love to know what I am doing, and I love to make sure there is consistency in the process, so I would probably buy one of these for calibrating my grinder, and making sure that it is delivering a consistent output.

Cheers y'all!

Upshot

Offline ray settanta

• Standard User
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2016, 12:56:14 PM »
This device has excellent potential for some serious coffee geekage. I can have containers of coffee corresponding to each screen size stored in my freezer. I can run tests of each size through all my different types of brewing methods. After that, I can do it again and alter a different variable each time- such as, water temperature, bloom time, pulse pouring, total immersion pouring, clockwise pouring vs. counterclockwise pouring and others too numerous to mention. Then I can get into roasting each bean variety to different levels and performing the tests all over again! This could keep me occupied for years.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2016, 01:03:01 PM »
How do you get around the natural aging of your coffee changing the flavor while you get around to all these samples.  Oh wait, you'll be awake 23 hours a day from drinking all that coffee so that should not be a problem either!  Don't forget magnetic fields, you can polarize the grounds so they all point sweet side up so the water hits that side first and brings it down into the cup  8)

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2016, 01:12:29 PM »
How do you calibrate a grinder to give a better output?  You can change the size of the grind but if it's not performing properly the only calibration is to get a better grinder, change the burrs, possibly re align the axis, or maybe just clean it or something along those lines.  No matter what your grinder is set at, it will be consistent with it's output, unless it's a really cheap grinder, then it will be consistently inconsistent.  If you take enough measurements from it you should be able to see the pattern of randomness it is putting out which you can use as a variable constant to adjust your burr aberration.

Aaron

Offline ray settanta

• Standard User
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2016, 01:26:41 PM »
How do you get around the natural aging of your coffee changing the flavor while you get around to all these samples.  Oh wait, you'll be awake 23 hours a day from drinking all that coffee so that should not be a problem either!  Don't forget magnetic fields, you can polarize the grounds so they all point sweet side up so the water hits that side first and brings it down into the cup  8)
Aaron
g

Well, I will be naturally aging also so it should cancel each other out. I will also be using heavy water since it is denser.

upshot

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2016, 01:28:18 PM »
I don't accept that all things remain unchanged. A grinder, due to design, age, and a host of other variables, is likely to put out results that change over time. How does a nut loosen on a bolt? What is the output of a clean set of burrs vs. not clean? How much change occurs with each use? How often should a grinder be cleaned? These questions can't be answered without data. My grinder is likely not producing the same output at the same setting as the day I brought it home. If I know what the output should be, I can set it to THAT "notch" rather than the one I used when I first bought it. I don't know how to explain why information is important to me...perhaps it's due to the influence of a college professor who was always stressing the importance of accuracy. Maybe it's just that the 'a-pinch-of-this' and 'a-touch-of-that' technique is not an ideal way to achieve consistent results. I like to quantify the variables just so that I know the equipment is doing what it is supposed to be doing...delivering a predictable output.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2016, 01:28:29 PM »
Deuterium or Tritium?   The Tritium may help on the light bill as it may impart some natural heating affects to the coffee.  Also that green glow will help guide you to the coffee pot first thing in the morning when it's dark and you are looking for your wake up cup :)

Aaron

upshot

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2016, 01:30:56 PM »
Well, I will be naturally aging also so it should cancel each other out. I will also be using heavy water since it is denser.

Old beans for old timers....I like it!! The heavy water part is genius...just don't stand too close please!

Offline Badam

• Standard User
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2016, 01:31:12 PM »
This device has excellent potential for some serious coffee geekage. I can have containers of coffee corresponding to each screen size stored in my freezer. I can run tests of each size through all my different types of brewing methods. After that, I can do it again and alter a different variable each time- such as, water temperature, bloom time, pulse pouring, total immersion pouring, clockwise pouring vs. counterclockwise pouring and others too numerous to mention. Then I can get into roasting each bean variety to different levels and performing the tests all over again! This could keep me occupied for years.

I can't say I would recommend pre grinding coffee in any scenario. Oxidation is the enemy and it starts as soon as the bean is broken (and to some extent prior to), freezing it at -20C will slow it, but not halt it. And freezing brings up other issues of its own.

But frankly if it works for you it is none of my business, to each his own! :D

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2016, 01:32:42 PM »
I guess where I am at with it is that it should be easy enough to find some whatever size micron screens you want (nylon is common) and cut up some old tupperware containers and really find out for about $10 whether $70 is worth it.

I'm not there on the curious level.

upshot

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2016, 01:37:18 PM »
I guess where I am at with it is that it should be easy enough to find some whatever size micron screens you want (nylon is common) and cut up some old tupperware containers and really find out for about $10 whether $70 is worth it.

I'm not there on the curious level.

Holy cow...I didn't even know there was a curious level...is there a device for measuring that? I'll buy one...just get it on Kickstarter and I'm in!