Author Topic: BMHG/Air Roaster to Drum Roaster Diedrich IR12  (Read 2316 times)

Offline dfluke

• Standard User
BMHG/Air Roaster to Drum Roaster Diedrich IR12
« on: April 04, 2016, 08:43:33 AM »
I'll post more later, but I landed a job with a local coffee company. We've known about each other for a while, and things just worked out for both of us.

A general question I have:
Is there a "go-to" or must read book/pdf/website etc. to grasp the concepts of drum roasting, or is it not much different?

I've been roasting for 4 years one pound at a time on my BM/HG setup. It has been great. Learned a lot when I started selling to family/friends and using roastlog to profile my roasts.
This company has an old Diedrich IR12. I have never roasted on a drum roaster. Had my first experience watching a roast last week. Pretty predictable I guess, but I'm going to be adding in profiling/thermocouples etc. as they are currently not doing anything with a computer. (Good ol pen and paper).

I suppose a lot of time on the roaster will help, but there is such a sea of information out there, I was hoping some of you veteran drum roasters could help out.
enjoy coffee on your own terms!

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: BMHG/Air Roaster to Drum Roaster Diedrich IR12
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 08:50:45 AM »
Who, if anyone, is roasting on it now?

The main thing for me to is remember that I need to think ahead; whatever I want the beans to do in Xmin. has to be done ahead of time.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

jspain

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 09:15:01 AM »
Large learning curve in your transition.... The Diedrich should be a blast to roast with! It took me a year of trail and error with my new drum to feel comfortable. Scott Rao's book is an excellent reference on roasting profiles and methods that I'd recommend. Send me your mailing address and I'll ship it to you to read and return if you like? Or, just buy one to have for years to come... Not all the answers in one book and not all roasters agree but it is a good start.

Good luck!  Jim

Offline dfluke

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 11:01:49 AM »
 Thanks Jim,  and I already have that book. It is a pretty good reference although I'm sure I could take another look at it now that my perspective is changed a bit
enjoy coffee on your own terms!

jspain

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 03:20:46 PM »
Thanks Jim,  and I already have that book. It is a pretty good reference although I'm sure I could take another look at it now that my perspective is changed a bit

Yep! Now it will be a great Bible!