Author Topic: Stainless steel screen micron size  (Read 4075 times)

Offline ray settanta

• Standard User
Stainless steel screen micron size
« on: April 21, 2016, 06:12:05 AM »
The filter screen on my recently purchased Sunbeam Coffeemaster vac pot needs to be replaced. Can anyone help by letting me know what micron or mesh size screen would be best? Thanks.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Re: Stainless steel screen micron size
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 09:22:07 AM »
Ray, hopefully they are not too obnoxiously expensive but you might get a direct replacement from sunbeam?   Or, you might be able to call them and ask them and they can tell you what the size is,  don't tell them why you want to know, ie to avoid their product but ask?  Another thing that might work is, Mr. Coffee sells conical filters and other shape filters that are nylon mesh.  Some are metal filter, you have to look around.  I think they are like 6 or 7 dollars, you might be able to get one of those and just cut a circle out of it the size you need for your pot?

Finally, if it's metal in there already, and maybe even nylon and it's not physically tore up, try ultrasonic cleaning it or even boiling it possibly.  You can get that coffee pot cleaning powder, like 5 oz for 5 dollars or get pool pH UP which is the same stuff,  Sodium Carbonate, 2 Lbs for like 8 dollars.

When my swiss golds start to get cloggy, I US clean them with hot water and the powder and they work wonderfully afterwards.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline ray settanta

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 12:03:45 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I didn't consider the manufacturer because the pots haven't been made in a long time but it is worth a shot. I have a source for stainless steel screens for under $10 but they are available in various mesh sizes. I found some french press replacement screens but I think the grind for a vac pot is too fine for them.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 01:49:43 PM »
How does running a vac pot with a coarser grind work?  Considering it's boiling the heck out of it for a bit you might get away with it, but yeah French press is opening up the grind a bit.

You found replacements for those, have you tried e bay?  They tend to have all sorts of gizmos and gadgetry and might have some for you.

Possibly a replacement screen from the same manu for a more current pot and you could possibly make it work, transfer it over?

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline ray settanta

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 03:52:45 PM »
I found one on ebay but the screen doesn't look good. I also found that using two or three paper disc filters made for perc pots will work. There are also lots of 12"x12" stainless screens available. I found out what micron size the S filter for the aeropress is so I can get one around that size.

Offline izmarkie

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 07:32:58 PM »
Not sure if you're looking for the size specific to that screen, but I recently put together a slow drip cold brewer and wanted to buy the right frit size for the buchner funnel. I found that mesh of the S-filter for my Aeropress is 43 microns:

https://www.kaffeologie.com/blogs/journal/118538371-thats-no-moon-its-a-new-s-filter

Offline ray settanta

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 11:44:55 AM »
Thanks for the replies. The 43 micron or thereabouts seems to be the best one to use.