Author Topic: variac help  (Read 1752 times)

ellboss

variac help
« on: May 21, 2016, 12:25:00 AM »
Hi all,

I have order a Huky500T and will be running at 220/230V. I am in the process of ordering a variac but am a bit lost. I placed an order for this one TDGC2-0.5KVA digital single-phase 220V voltage regulators adjustable 500W transformer http://www.yoycart.com/Product/25709668193/New_TDGC2-0.5KVA_digital_single-phase_22

I was asked what watts and amp I require, but am unsure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Re: variac help
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 12:59:47 PM »
Is the variac just for motor rotation, fan running or heating too?

If it's just for a motor rotating, then 500 Watt should be fine.  If you are controlling heat with this, then it's way too small.

I would personally go for 1.2 to 1.5 kW.  That's 1200 to 1500 watts then.  You don't want to push a variac to it's upper limit, especially these cheap chineese pieces of $#$t out there.

If you are looking at amps.  For 110 / 115 / 120 Vac however they list it, Id go for 15 Amps to be safe.  10 Amp is kind of pushing it.  If you are looking at 220 V.  Personally Id go for 10 Amp, you could probably get away with 8.

If you are just running motors, then 5 amps would be fine.

Now keep this in mind, Ive seen voltages drop as much as 10 volts or more on some houses when a heater kicks in.  There are a lot of reasons for this, which I won't get into here.  This means you will be pulling even more amps through your variac to make up for this voltage loss to get the energy to your roaster.  More amps is more unwanted heat.   Now if you live in Florida and are roasting in your garage and it's 95 degrees outside and 115 degrees in your garage, that's even more unwanted heat stressing your variac.  Bigger is better, and safer when it comes to variacs.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!