Author Topic: Visit to BellaTW Trading in Taiwan  (Read 2019 times)

Offline pwest

• Standard User
Visit to BellaTW Trading in Taiwan
« on: July 13, 2016, 08:21:08 AM »
My son is studying at the National Taiwan University this summer, and I asked him to drop by BellaTW if he got a chance (it's just a few km from campus).  He did so yesterday and sent the attached pics.

I knew these things were big, but that 1kg model just looks huge.  He didn't work to hard on pricing but said he thought they were "more than I'd want to pay...".  He's probably right about that.  I'm supposed to get an email from Bella on pricing.

-Phil

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Visit to BellaTW Trading in Taiwan
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 05:35:35 AM »
That certainly looks like a commercial quality toaster!

:o
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 05:55:09 AM »
I've had the small one since 2011, bought from the factory. The Feima 800n and Bella Mini500 are pretty much the same machine except for the optional precision air valve. I've got the 800n.

Been to the showroom in Taipei and did a YouTube video on the EVO-1, which is a unique roaster in several ways; perforated cast iron drum and split gas trane with dual needle valves. There are three rows of burners that can be adjusted independently. The center row has one needle valve and the two outer rows another (both with gas gauges). You can run the center row, two outside rows, or all three rows. It's a lot easier to roast a small charge using only the center row.

The damper on these machines is probably better than anything I've seen so far, including variable speed blowers. Variable speed blowers are notoriously inconsistent, whereas a precision air valve combined with a fixed speed blower can easily replicate a setting. The dial on the air valve is cleverly done, with a 0 in the center position, minus to the left and plus to to the right. Sounds complicated but in actuality simplifies setting the air flow.

Offline pwest

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 08:06:39 PM »
Hankua:
I had seen your video some time ago--I think that's how I knew about Bella.  I did a quick search search here before doing my post, but didn't find it. 
-Phil

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 06:49:10 PM »
Phil, it's on YouTube. It's been a few years and I'm due to go back sometime soon. For sure I'll be stopping by the showroom in Taipei to check out the newer modifications.

Bella's machines are not the least expensive, that award go to the Mainland. They are well designed where it counts, easy to use, precise controls, and cast iron drums.

You can get a Chinese 1K for $2900 from the factory FOB. The Taiwanese 1K is going to run @5-6K (XJ-101). People don't ask which roaster is better, rather which one is the cheapest and easiest to buy. Since they're both commercial, the build is heavier than any home roaster could possibly wear out.

Two Chinese roaster builders I'd like to see in person are the HB and Santoker. Newer Santokers has shaftless drums with ceramic coating; HB is run by two young guys who roast coffee commercially.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 07:06:02 PM by hankua »