Coffee Discussion boards > Hardware & Equipment

Diedrich IR-7 Opinions

(1/3) > >>

Halen:
I've been kicking around the idea of upgrading from my current home roaster to a Diedrich IR-7 (used). My goal is to get a much firmer handle on my roast profiles. Has anyone here used a Diedrich roaster, if so I'd love to hear your thoughts on this machine.

Ascholten:
I am not familiar with that roaster but as with any used machine, check it VERY carefully.
Why is he getting rid of it?  Getting out of the business?  Upgrading?  ... or not a really good reason,... just because.....

If possible, ask if you can see him do a roast live or do a roast yourself on the machine, by yourself I mean with him overseeing of course etc, but basically you want to see that it's in decent working order and you are not buying someone elses woes.  Check the cleanliness too, that can also be an indication how well it's been taken care of too...On that if it's super dirty, that can turn into a super nightmare trying to clean too.    It'd be like me getting a car, running it for 60k miles, never changing the oil in it, just adding more when it's low, I sell it to you, at 65k the engine blows and I look at you and go what the hell?  What did you do?  it ran fine for me all these years, what did you do to it? :)

Otherwise, well.. you know these rabbit holes and where they can lead us to  :angel:

Aaron

Halen:
Thank you for the response Aaron, very much appreciated. I've reached out to the seller and will go through the things you've mentioned to insure it's a roaster worth buying!

peter:
What I hear you asking is, will the Diedrich be responsive to my intended profiles, and is there a marked difference in how it responds vs. other gas roasters.  Am I close? 

I would ask about your "firmer handle on my roast profiles" and what that means.  Firmer handle before getting the Diedrich?  Firmer handle once I have the Diedrich, as I learn how to roast on it?

In my estimation, the whole idea of having a wide array of roast profiles for various coffees is a bit absurd and often pretentious, an idea floated by snobs who think they're in the elite of the roasting world.  I know, I know... "we have to get every last iota of goodness out of every bean" is a great goal.  And who would admit that they're not striving for that perfect roast?  It's just that I believe 99% of coffee isn't that fussy, and a good all-around profile is way more than adequate.

Halen:

--- Quote from: peter on October 11, 2021, 06:42:37 AM ---What I hear you asking is, will the Diedrich be responsive to my intended profiles, and is there a marked difference in how it responds vs. other gas roasters.  Am I close? 

I would ask about your "firmer handle on my roast profiles" and what that means.  Firmer handle before getting the Diedrich?  Firmer handle once I have the Diedrich, as I learn how to roast on it?

In my estimation, the whole idea of having a wide array of roast profiles for various coffees is a bit absurd and often pretentious, an idea floated by snobs who think they're in the elite of the roasting world.  I know, I know... "we have to get every last iota of goodness out of every bean" is a great goal.  And who would admit that they're not striving for that perfect roast?  It's just that I believe 99% of coffee isn't that fussy, and a good all-around profile is way more than adequate.

--- End quote ---

You are spot on with everything you mentioned, especially the last sentences which I wholeheartedly agree with.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version