Coffee Discussion boards > Hardware & Equipment

Electric Roasters

(1/5) > >>

mrgreenbean:
Within the next six months I will be able to buy a new Roaster, I have been using a HotTop the past few years with no issues.
I really don’t have the ability to use a gas Roaster safely with out modifications to my home. So what is the best electric out there?

Ascholten:
Well, to start out.  Can you please provide a bit more info?

Do you have 240 volt available?

How much do you plan on roasting a week / a month?

How big of a batch at a time do you plan on roasting, what would you like to be able to roast per batch?

What is your budget?

I love the Artisan roasters but they are considered more a commercial machine and not for everyone, but man oh man, so easy to work with.

Aaron

ptrmorton:

--- Quote from: mrgreenbean on July 25, 2023, 04:50:13 AM ---Within the next six months I will be able to buy a new Roaster, I have been using a HotTop the past few years with no issues.
I really don’t have the ability to use a gas Roaster safely with out modifications to my home. So what is the best electric out there?

--- End quote ---

Aaron's questions are good ones and depending on the answers, my response might not be relevant.  However,  I went through this debate a couple of years ago and ended up with a gas roaster (Huky) because, given my needs, the cost/performance ratio was so ridiculously in favor of gas (including the cost of venting requirements).  I had a Hottop for years and loved it, but I wanted something more responsive to energy input and twice the batch size.  I liked a variety of electric roasters (Artisan was at the top of the list), but they were considerably more $$$ and/or required a 240V line.  I didn't have a 240V line readily available and my price point at the time was ~$1000 - $1200 for a one pound roaster.  A used Huky fit the bill and I love how responsive it is and easy it is to roast on.

Good luck with the hunt and please report back what you decide.

mrgreenbean:
My batch’s are small, it’s just two of us. I do have a 220 outlet somewhere in my garage that I have never used. Budget 5,000 dollars. I have no vented hood available.

Ascholten:
The Artisan 3 e might be in your range then.  You may want to call them and talk to him on the phone personally to work out the details and maybe get a bit of a break on it, you never know!

I have found that we all tend to start small, and eventually want more, bigger, badder, meaner etc etc.  The A3 will do just that.  It looks like it will let you easily roast a half pound roast if you want, up to 3 lbs or more per batch as your needs / demands grow.

Trust me, right now you are roasting for you and wifey pooh, but once word gets out, the kids will want coffee, the friends will want coffee, the church will start mooching you for coffee etc etc.  you get the idea :D

Welcome to the rabbit hole!

Aaron

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version