Author Topic: SC/TO Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 119994 times)

Offline sea330

• Standard User
Re: SC/TO Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks
« Reply #570 on: November 21, 2013, 08:10:43 AM »
New mod for a SC that I have been playing with, been using this for a couple of months now, works great running at 60 RPMs has a 7mm shaft, easy to make coupling to fit. Motor runs on 220 volt ac 14 watts, plenty of torq. You can use a Wall wort European voltage converters 120 to 220 volt ac runs at 100 watts and up, works great and there cheap under $10.00 bucks. I have found this to be the best and easy way to get the RPMs up on the cheap. You will need to purchase 11/16 Aluminum round stock cut to 3" drill a 7mm hole for the motor and 1/4 20 on the other end, drill and tap and your done. As you can see easy to mount motor with 4 sheet metal screws. Hope you all can use this idea, been dealing with slow rpms on the factory motors and they don't work very well for what we do with these things. You will need to purchase a little V block for your drill press vise to get the hole on center.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 04:43:53 PM by sea330 »

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #571 on: November 26, 2013, 11:28:23 AM »
Brazil bob-o-link
Pre heated to 300 deg
11:45 169 deg
11:48:14 300 deg, up temp to 439 deg
11:51 302 deg
11:56 404 deg
11:58 435 deg
12:00  440 deg Finish
This is a kinda big load for for this roasting method 1lb 4 oz. The 60 rpm motor makes a big differance for a nice even roast.
Can’t wait to try after 48 hours rest
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 12:14:46 PM by sea330 »

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #572 on: November 26, 2013, 12:39:22 PM »
This is some Panama Jurutungo  I had laying at the bottom of my stash forgot I had it. Harvest date was 10/11 cupped out very good at 87.6, thought I would roast it up. Remember looking back at my notes it was oustanding, will see after 3 year how it stands up to my original roast.

pre heat to 300 deg SC/TO
12:41 155 deg
12:44:53 300 deg
12:48:53 up temp to 440 deg
12:55:20 415 deg IC
12:58  Finished 440 deg
A little long this time but 1.8 lbs green weight
This will be interesting
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 12:55:55 PM by sea330 »

abelsanchez

« Reply #573 on: December 04, 2013, 09:30:06 AM »
This thread has been very informative (thanks to all who share your valuable knowledge), attached in the image is where I am thus far.

I a new to roasting but have been thinking about it for quite some time. In mid November I received my first shipment of green coffee and have been using a Poppery II for the last 8 to 10 batches. I've tweaked things here and there and settled on 128 grams for about 5:35 which usually makes for a pleasant espresso roast. I knew all along that I would make the jump to a system with the potential to roast a bigger quantity and hopefully more control than start - stop - dump - cool.

Today I plan to fashion a copper cap for the stir crazy center spindle and give her a trial run. The Flavor Wave Turbo uses Halogen bulbs as the heat source, so we'll see how it goes.

I am about $35 in to this assembly (or will be when Amazon delivers my thermometer) so far. The SC was a .25 garage sale score, the TO was a $12 Goodwill find and the dual thermometer was an Amazon bargain at $20.

Abel

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #574 on: December 04, 2013, 09:50:51 AM »
A couple of thoughts, Abel...

Is the inside of your spacer/yardstick painted too?  That could be an issue.  Also, having the ability to close the spacer and hold in the heat would be preferable.  There's only a few periods in the roast where chaff is flying, so no need to have that slot open the whole time.

For the copper cap, if you drill a hole on one side and have a slot in the other, as opposed to two slots, it'll stay on when you're dumping the beans.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #575 on: December 04, 2013, 09:57:32 AM »
What peter said. Having the spacer gap allows a lot of heat to escape and limits your ability to ramp up the heat when you want to. You can use something to wedge the ends open when you want to open the gap in the spacer.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

abelsanchez

« Reply #576 on: December 04, 2013, 02:12:00 PM »
Wow you guys are quick with the good advice, if only I had been as quick to refer back before working on the copper cap! I'll post another picture later from the real computer this post is from my phone.
I did use a wire brush to remove the paint from the yellow aluminum yardstick, if you look close the edges look silver. I thought about using bbq grill high heat paint or just some light cooking oil to season the aluminum, any advice?
The fan blows clock wise I thought that might help keep the heat in, but just in case I was going to make a little gap cover with room foil.
The thermometer is on back order for another week but I was still going to try a batch just using the ovens thermometer hopefully tonight, wish me luck!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #577 on: December 04, 2013, 03:17:04 PM »
As for the hole/slot idea on the copper cap, I thought about that after using two slots, and have some aluminum foil scrunched up around the wing-nut on the shaft threads to keep the cap in place just using friction.

If your spacer is set up in the opposite direction of the T/O's fan, it won't have nearly the effect you want when it comes to ejecting the chaff.

Obviously, everyone would prefer roasting w/ a good thermometer, but using your roaster w/o one for a while will help you develop skills in determining different markers in the roast, such as smell and sound.  Have fun!
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

RamzyB

« Reply #578 on: December 29, 2013, 09:25:07 PM »
Hi, I am in the process of building a SC/TO after consultation with Milowbailey and Peter.  I read the notes on building these and decided that I would go ahead and make an all-metal drive shaft for the SC and add a switch for separate heat control as well.
Instead of using a ¼” socket and a full thread bolt, I opted to get a 2” long ¼” drive extension, since that would be a more rigid shaft.  I cut it to 1.75” to match the length of the original plastic shaft.  I thought it would be only case hardened, since it was just $3, but found that it was fully hardened, a quality move by the Do-It folks, but could not be drilled for a machine screw on the other end.  So I annealed it with a propane torch (hold in vise grips, heat until red hot, then allow to slowly cool to room temperature).  Once annealed, I was able to drill and thread a hole at the top (#29 drill and 8-32 tap).  I drilled it deep enough for the full depth of the tap, but it could be as little as ½” depth.
Per a suggestion on this forum, I wrapped the nylon square drive of the motor in Teflon gas line tape to hold the ¼” drive extension more securely, and to provide a bit more insulation from heat coming down the metal shaft.  When the new shaft was installed, it came to the top of the center rise of the pan, just as the old shaft did.
I made new stirring arms by bending two pieces of brass wire at 90°, then shaping the arms to match the profile of the original arms.  I had a 3/16” thick large washer that I cut four grooves into, so the bent arms fit in but did not reach the center, leaving room for the installation screw.  I sandwiched the brass arms with another, thinner washer, then bolted the stack together with a 1” long 8-32 stainless steel machine screw, washers and nut.
I placed a large thin washer over the center rise hole in the pan to close that opening, then screwed the stirring arm assembly into the threaded hole in the top of the metal shaft.  As long as the motor rotates counterclockwise, it should remain seated.  If it loosens, I can add a jam nut on the 8-32 machine screw.
When the unit was started, it all rotated OK, and I had an unexpected “feature”.  Because of my poor brass wire bending skills, each wire follows a slightly different path around the pan, hopefully enhancing bean agitation.
For the switch, I disconnected a female spade connector from the thermostat, which is connected in series to the heating element.  I had a length of power cord from a failed leaf blower, and it already had two female spade connectors.  I attached one of the power cord female spade connectors to the thermostat.  I now had two female spade connectors that needed to be attached.  Instead of cutting the wires, I made a short jumper using two male spade connectors.  I wrapped all exposed stuff in high temperature electrical tape.
I routed the switch wire through an existing hole in the SC bottom, and drilled a small hole near another existing hole, and used a nylon zip tie as a strain relief.  I won’t describe wiring the switch because there are a lot of different types.  Powered up and the switch works to turn the heating element on and off and the thermostat is still in the circuit for safety.
Interestingly, except for the small hole I drilled for the strain relief, all original parts are still there undamaged.
I also found that the metal shaft, being a smaller diameter than the plastic shaft, wobbles a bit in the large pan hole.  I think I can make a heat resistant spacer to fill that gap.  I think I have a phenolic block somewhere...
Now I’m waiting for the TO and temperature sensor to arrive.  I will make a sheet metal extender and chaff release when I have exact dimensions on the TO.
Thanks for listening,
RamzyB

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #579 on: December 30, 2013, 05:22:03 AM »
Pics?

RamzyB

« Reply #580 on: December 30, 2013, 07:24:22 PM »
Here are 3 pictures.  I will send more if these show up OK.

First image is an overview of the stirring arms installed in the pan.
Second image is a side view of the stirring arm assembly showing the machine screw and washer stackup that holds the brass stirring arms.
Third image is the end of the metal shaft showing.  You can see it is not centered in the hole.

RamzyB

« Reply #581 on: December 30, 2013, 07:29:55 PM »
OK, more images:

First one is the solid shaft made from the 1/4" socket extension.  Nice and blue from annealing.
Second image is the square recess that fits the motor drive.
Third image is the strain relief on the bottom of the SC, for the heater control switch.

RamzyB

« Reply #582 on: December 30, 2013, 07:35:32 PM »
Final 3 images:

First image is a side view of the stirring arm assembly attached to the solid metal shaft with the loose washer that sits on the pan hole when installed.
Second image is the heater control switch I installed on a short cable.
Third image is an exploded view sketch of the stirring arm assembly showing more detail about how the thick washer was cut to hold the brass arms.

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #583 on: December 30, 2013, 07:50:17 PM »
Well done, sir!
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #584 on: December 30, 2013, 09:00:58 PM »
Nice job fabricating stir arm and shaft, you might have a problem with motor torque, these little motors are only about 4 watt, might be more then it can handle, this has been my biggest problem on the stir crazy until I modified to a bigger motor and higher rpms. Let us know how it handles the load. It’s a hoot tinkering with this stuff.