Author Topic: Which roaster?  (Read 2555 times)

BoldJava

Re: Which roaster?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 03:39:25 AM »
Sorry, I have experience only on the Gene so can't give you comparative opinion. Not aware of alot of folks that have owned both the Gene and Hottop.

I would pull the trigger on either and not look back.  Both have good reputations.  Posters with difficulties with both on Coffee Geek are typically outliers, not mainliners.  If you go with the Gene, I would encourage you to cool externally (I used a collander, bucket, and a small shop vac to cool in 45 seconds).  A Hottop advantage is that is built-in feature.

Gene Cafe gathers an 8.8 avg at Coffee Geek from 15 reviews from consumers.
Hottop gathers a 7.3 avg at Coffee Geek from 22 reviews from consumers.

I can't account for the difference since I don't know one dissatisfied Hottop owner on this forum.

B|Java
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 04:07:58 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 03:58:47 AM »

I have struck a deal for the hottop delivered (direct) for $870. They matched the US price but stung me on shipping.

Steve, use Sweetmaria's site.  His international air expedited shipping calculates at $104 (I just picked a random English address I found on the web).  

$120 <?> a stinging number?  Being personally familiar with shipping here in the US, I guess I didn't feel that number was out of line for international shipping on a comparative basis, given the weight, distance, and service.  With my small FedEx account (volume drives prices), that unit is $198 shipped int'l air to London from here near Chicago.

B|Java

Offline tahoejoe

• Standard User
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2009, 06:20:06 AM »
Steve..

Behmor's are being loaded on a container ship tonight for arrival in Felixstowe first week of July.. and if needed we'll have warranty coverage in the UK

as to the 250 GBP.. where did you get that price?

*** arrival date could be effected by pirates
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 06:42:33 AM by tahoejoe »

BoldJava

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2009, 06:22:46 AM »
Steve..

Behmor's are being loaded on a container ship tonight for arrival in Felixstowe first week of July.. and if needed we'll have warranty coverage in the UK

as to the 250 GBP.. where did you get that price?

Joe extends reach to Great Britain.  Congrats Joe!

B|Java

Offline tahoejoe

• Standard User
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2009, 06:37:23 AM »
Actually our distribution channel will be throughout Europe .. we've incorporated a software design which allows for the indivduals in their respective countries to set a program according to their voltage needs.

Nice part is if they move to a country with different voltage (220-240v)..no problem.. you can re-set the system.

One of the (220-240v) units is with a well known exporting country's national coffee association... the head cupper called the system wonderful... which after all the work, as you can imagine, pleases me... Central and South America.. your next

and Steve.. I'd be very interested to know where the 250 GBP price came from ... because according to my calculations it shouldn't be close to that...

« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 07:54:04 AM by tahoejoe »

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2009, 08:55:13 AM »
I am assured the hottop is best, but that much better?

Yes, but the question has changed.

Originally it was the best choice if price is not a factor.

Now you might be asking what roaster offers the best bang for the buck and that is a VERY different question.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Steve7

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2009, 11:01:14 AM »
Ok Joe,

What price is it likely to be?

I got a 200 - 250 guide from a UK forum which has a lot of trade members. Can you be more specific?