Author Topic: What's the best way to clean a vacuum pot?  (Read 5927 times)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Re: What's the best way to clean a vacuum pot?
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2009, 05:55:22 AM »
The absolute easiest way I've found to remove the grounds is to set the top of the pot into the sink with the long thing into the garbage disposal, pun some water into the pot and remove the glass filter rod at around the same time. Slowly pick up the pot with water running into it. All the water with the grounds winds up in the disposal. A quick rinse with an occasional Joe Glow cycle.....done. Bottom gets soaked with Joe Glow and mega rinsed...no problema. Disposal eats the grounds. Glass filter rod a lot easier to deal with than cloths.

I use a similar technique but I wash the grounds into a large plastic cup. I then spread the grounds over my yard or flower beds.

Offline simmich

• Standard User
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2009, 11:59:59 AM »
I've got a Nicro and a couple of olde Silex and Cory vacuums.Stovetop cooking is not a problem at all. The glass on the oldies is great. The weak point is the rubber seal/gasket that separate the top and bottom. If the seal gets hard, its over.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2009, 01:09:45 PM »

The Bodum Santos Electric is a decent vacpot.

Unless I am mistaken, they have taken the electric Santos out of production.  I saw one close at over $200 on eBay.  There is one over there now at $78 but is has several days left on the auction.

B|Java

I don't know if it's the same one you saw, but there is an auction for an electric Santos that's at $227 ATM.

BoldJava

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2009, 02:29:53 PM »
At $257 and climbing...same one.  Stunned by the prices it commands.  That would buy 8 Yamas.

B|Java

jano

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2013, 03:48:49 PM »
I use a hand-dishwashing soap, Ultra Dishmate by Earth Friendly Products that I pick up at our co-op.  I find that is sudses well but rinses much quicker and cleaner than commerical dishwashing soap products.

I bought some of this stuff a couple months ago when I saw it at the store - the pear flavor is very mild and compatible with my super sniffer.  I really like it for regular hand washing pots/pans that don't go in the dishwasher.  It is strange, though: using regular dawn dish soap, my sponge would get a nasty smell in about a week, which would go away if soaked in bleach or if I used bleach cleaner in the sink.  Using the Ultra Dishmate soap, my sponge went about a month before starting to smell bad..  does it prevent bacteria growth somehow, or may mask the smell? 

Jeffo

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2013, 04:35:27 PM »
Throw it in the washing machine with a load of towels and 2 scoops of oxyclean.  ;D  ;D

I treat mine like it's got a sleeping baby in it

That's preposterous. You should at least wait for the baby to wake up before it goes in the washing machine.

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
  • Espresso: QuickMill Roaster: Behmor, HGDB
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2013, 06:49:08 PM »
The best way to clean a vac pot is to not let the significant other do it.

--absolutely horrible loud roar--
Me: "Honey, what's that noise from the disposal?"
SO: "I'm grinding the coffee grounds you left in the top."
Me: "Where's the rod?"
SO: "What rod?"
Me: *facepalm*

jspain

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2013, 05:20:29 AM »
Larry,

If you clean it more than once every 8 months it's easy!!  ;D