Coffee Discussion boards > Hardware & Equipment

Sonofresco / Q&A / Tip & Tricks

(1/115) > >>

Tex:

I've been using my Sonofresco roaster long enough now that I have questions/observations.

First question?
I'm wondering what effect the burning of the chaff has on the temp readings? The chaff collector screen collects a lot of burning chaff just under the temperature sensor. This is most noticeable if one roasts at night - it's like fireflies coming out the chimney.

It seems to me the programs are reading the burning chaff temps, not the bean mass. I'm thinking of fitting a screen tube into the chaff collector, so the area just below the sensor will only pick up the temp of the bean mass, not the flaming debris from the roast.

Thoughts?

J.Jirehs Roaster:

--- Quote from: Tex on July 31, 2009, 08:02:14 PM ---I've been using my Sonofresco roaster long enough now that I have questions/observations.

First question?
I'm wondering what effect the burning of the chaff has on the temp readings? The chaff collector screen collects a lot of burning chaff just under the temperature sensor. This is most noticeable if one roasts at night - it's like fireflies coming out the chimney.

It seems to me the programs are reading the burning chaff temps, not the bean mass. I'm thinking of fitting a screen tube into the chaff collector, so the area just below the sensor will only pick up the temp of the bean mass, not the flaming debris from the roast.

Thoughts?

--- End quote ---

That is an intriguing thought??? but I think the air is moving so fast that the heat let off by the bits of chaff are not throwing off the sensor enough to be more important than the effect of the chaff blocking the screen

Tex:

--- Quote from: J.Jirehs Roaster on July 31, 2009, 08:48:07 PM ---
--- Quote from: Tex on July 31, 2009, 08:02:14 PM ---I've been using my Sonofresco roaster long enough now that I have questions/observations.

First question?

Thoughts?

--- End quote ---

That is an intriguing thought??? but I think the air is moving so fast that the heat let off by the bits of chaff are not throwing off the sensor enough to be more important than the effect of the chaff blocking the screen

--- End quote ---

The screen on my roaster is jet black in the center (2" diameter) from the burning chaff. From ~300°, the chaff that collects there is burned off - it looks like a catalytic burner on a gas BBQ. It must be getting pretty hot there. I'd be willing to bet that the speed of the less-than-totally-incombustible gasses as it's compressed at the chimney, is creating a blast furnace effect.

Next time I roast I'll stick a probe up under the screen and another next to the roaster probe to see what difference, if any, there really is.

yorel23:
That's an interesting thought there Tex!  Let us know what you find out.

On a side note, I like what Tex has started here.  Any way we could get a Sonofresco sticky for the Sono guys in the group?

yorel23:
I have a question for you Sono guys.  I've been using about 1.2#s of green per batch.  At the start of the batch the beans take a minute to get moving.  As a result, there are a few beans on the bottom that get browned really quick.  By the end of the roast, there are 10-20 very over roasted beans (can you say charcoal?).  It's not much and takes less than a minute to sort them out.  Have you guys found any way to avoid this or is it something I'll just have to live with?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version