Coffee Discussion boards > Hardware & Equipment

Sonofresco / Q&A / Tip & Tricks

<< < (2/115) > >>

Tex:
I roast 1 - 1.5 lb batches (smaller bean size = bigger batches), and although the beans move more slowly at first, they're all moving right from the start.

I've not noticed many, but there are always some crispy critters. I sorta figured them to be hollow beans, maybe from another crop or batch that got mixed in at the coops. Whatever, since there's so few I don't bother picking them out.

BTW: This problem seems to occur with S/O beans, more than quality blends. The Red Sea Blend I roasted last had no crispy critters that I saw and ditto for the Monkey Blend from SM's I roasted last month (I keep roasting logs with that sort of minutia recorded - can you say ANAL boys & girls?) ;D

yorel23:
Yeah the beans are moving from the start, but there are some that get stuck on the bottom until they really start to hop.  I notice them about 1 minute into the roast as they work their way to the top.  While the rest of the beans are still pale yellow, there are a few light/medium brown beans in there.  It is similar to when using a popper and not stirring at the start of the roast.  It's just that on the Sono there is no way to get in there and stir.  I'm thinking I'll probably just have to sort them out.  No big deal.  By the way, I'm loving this roaster!

milowebailey:
Some beans do, some don't.  I attribute it more to water content... some beans are heavier at first so they don't move.  Then when they sit at the bottom for a bit, they roast quickly and then up they go to the top.  Depending on the crop some all move evenly.  I don't bother to sort them either.  I figure it's way less than 1/10 of 1%  (how many beans per lb?).

yorel23:

--- Quote from: milowebailey on August 05, 2009, 03:29:18 PM ---I don't bother to sort them either.  I figure it's way less than 1/10 of 1%  (how many beans per lb?).

--- End quote ---
I agree that I've seen it more with some beans than others. 

The sorting is more something to do while I roast the next batch.  I agree there aren't enough to alter the taste.  Besides, all these problems will be done away when the The Widget hits the market, right? 

By the way, do you guys preheat the roast chamber before your first roast?

Tex:

--- Quote from: yorel23 on August 05, 2009, 03:35:43 PM ---By the way, do you guys preheat the roast chamber before your first roast?

--- End quote ---

No, I figure it wouldn't impact the program one way or the other.

One thing I was considering was preheating the beans to see if that will let me coast into first crack on a shallower curve? I plan to heat the beans in a colander setting on top of the air-popper, until a probe 2" above the bean mass reaches a predetermined temp (200° or ??).  I'm hoping the program will think the beans have been cooking awhile and go into the slower response mode.

I sure need a good data tracking software package. Guess I'll have to break down and buy a new toy from Omega or Fluke.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version