Author Topic: Smoke Elimination Device  (Read 3143 times)

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
Re: Smoke Elimination Device
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2022, 05:56:26 AM »
As a Bullet owner I am too. 

I deal with any after effects with a Natures Air purifier (ozone/etc) which helps after a bit but not immediately.  Exhaust is hard as if it is sucked directly out of the machine it disrupts the logic.  They say to put any exhaust system at least 6" above the machine. 

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2022, 04:35:01 AM »
Got my Bullet and took it to the factory yesterday to experiment a little. That is really the purpose of this micro factory, to seek out and trial concepts. It is a Makerspace, which allows individuals from the community to bring in their projects and even use the various tools and equipment available. It is owned by the largest appliance manufacturer in the world so they have a lot of support.

Ok, on to the experiments. They had purchased a tabletop Fume Extractor so before trialing a prototype of theirs, they wanted to see how well the extractor did. Now, to be fair, I only loaded 350 grams into the machine because I didn't have very many greens in house. I roasted it well into 2nd crack. They placed the extractor hose over the vent with a 3-4 inch air gap. I can't say 100% how effective it was because we were in a very large space, but I can say that all the smoke that I could actually "see" went into the extractor where it goes through a charcoal filter and does not exit the extractor. It had zero impact on the roasting process. Yes, you could still smell the roast. This is what we were using: https://www.amazon.com/KNOKOO-extractor-FES150S-Soldering-Absorber/dp/B0923MXXTS/ref=pd_lpo_2?pd_rd_i=B0923MXXTS&psc=1. If it were not for the cost of replacement filters I would have considered buying one and calling it good for my purposes.

While running that roast, one of the engineers put together a quick and simple prototype of what basically amounts to a mini afterburner/catalytic converter. I believe they said it can heat up to about 700-900 degrees internally. With the exception of some leaking at the seams of the device, it also eliminated/cleaned the majority of the smoke. Obviously there are certainly safety concerns to think about with this device, but again, this was simply a test to see if the idea has merit. It was attached directly to the exhaust port of the Bullet but had no noticeable impact on the roast. I overlayed a previous roast on the software and it followed it exactly.

I cannot tell you where it will go from here, if anywhere. Time will tell. Ultimately, it comes down to if they believe they can make something that fills a large enough need to justify its development. I will update when I have something valuable to share. If you want to speak with them directly, they welcome input/ideas. I can share the lead engineer's email if anyone wants it.

Thanks again for offering your thoughts.
Vagabond, beach bum & motorcycle zealot: a restless soul in motion

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2022, 11:38:29 AM »
I've seen this company before.  THey are backed by General Electric.  Which is interesting, considering GE is working towards trying to get itself out of the 'small appliance world'

Do they actually let you into this warehouse to play around as well or you just submit your stuff to them and they do it?
After looking them up online and seeing some of their video's, Id love to visit it one day

aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2022, 04:14:14 AM »
The GE Appliance division was sold off to Haier in 2016. They purchased rights of use for the name, so the products are still badged with the GEA name. Still built in the same facilities by the same people. There was no regime change when the sale took place. I worked for the company for 43 years and just retired.

Yes, you can visit FirstBuild. It is a MakerSpace, meaning you can bring in your own ideas, use their tools and equipment and they often get involved as well. You should definitely visit sometime. Just let them know you are coming.

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2022, 08:40:03 AM »
Interesting.

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2022, 04:28:55 AM »
Sorry for ghosting the post. I tore my hamstring and have been out of commission. I see an orthopedic surgeon Tuesday and may be out for a while. I need to confirm but I'm pretty certain the group decided against pursuing the concept.

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2022, 06:13:58 AM »
Sorry for ghosting the post. I tore my hamstring and have been out of commission. I see an orthopedic surgeon Tuesday and may be out for a while. I need to confirm but I'm pretty certain the group decided against pursuing the concept.
That's my read too.

Offline 210doc

• Standard User
  • Behmor 1600+, Huky500T
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2022, 12:21:06 PM »
I came looking for new available greens today and stumbled onto this thread. I read it with interest and am sorry they have abandoned the project. Six weeks ago I moved from roasting for several years on a Behmor to a Huky.. With the B, most all roasts were done outside, whereas with the H, I have been roasting inside the garage next to the garage door opening, venting the smoke and exhaust out and vertically up a 8’ flexible hose, using a better sealed Huky exhaust fan setup. I still feel that I’m still breathing more hazardous VOCs than I had hoped depending on wind. It is a workable situation so far this summer with the door wide open, but I live over 6k ‘ in the CO foothills so winter will necessitate a new approach by exhausting under a partially opened garage door. Consequently I have been searching for a portable flexible hood to somehow vent my work area under the door to the outside, or some type of afterburner/catalyst to neutralize the emissions into less hazardous chemicals for lung health. (Assuming that would be the endpoint goal of any new device, not just eradication of visible smoke)
I might add, my tinfoil hat is safely stashed in the box on the closet shelf, but the concerns with breathing diacetyl and 2,3 pentanedione are well founded, especially with compromised lung health like asthma, COPD etc. Hopefully something that will adapt to the OP and other home roaster’s needs will be developed.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2022, 03:00:55 PM »
Roast in front of your dryer.  turn it on, suck the smoke in thru it and out the vent.  Better yet,  throw the beans in there, bypass the thermostat and turn your dryer INTO a roaster, that vents outside :D

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline 210doc

• Standard User
  • Behmor 1600+, Huky500T
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2022, 09:49:41 AM »
Hey Aaron,….I think you’re on to something  8)….this could be the next disruptive paradigm in home roaster design. The first multipurpose, easy to install, all convective, drum coffee roaster! Add an energy saving Loring knock off air recirculating system and watch the ESG dollars flow in ….   :D

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2022, 11:41:39 AM »
Hey, 210doc!

Help me understand why the Behmor was fine for the outdoors, but the Huky isn't.  Is it simply that you don't want to be roasting outside?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2022, 03:42:02 PM »
Hey Aaron,….I think you’re on to something  8)….this could be the next disruptive paradigm in home roaster design. The first multipurpose, easy to install, all convective, drum coffee roaster! Add an energy saving Loring knock off air recirculating system and watch the ESG dollars flow in ….   :D

They really have not caught on much in the US, not sure why really, given the green tards push for energy saving this and that over here but the Heat Pump dryers would be a big step in that direction.  They already recirc the air.   Get it REALLY hot, and the rear chamber has your clothes in it,  they absorb the excess heat to dry.  the clothes take the heat, the water in them takes in the smoke, which you just burp down the drain then, or right into your giant sequoia tree you plant next to it, to catch any smoke that may drift out :D  This process takes all freakin day so you start it right before you goto bed, and when you wake up in the morning, you have dry clothes, and hot water to make your coffee with.  You clothes will also have a slight smell of coffee to better get you in the mood too  >:D

Do you want to call shark tank or shall I ?

Aaron

Offline 210doc

• Standard User
  • Behmor 1600+, Huky500T
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2022, 10:51:09 PM »
Hey, 210doc!

Help me understand why the Behmor was fine for the outdoors, but the Huky isn't.  Is it simply that you don't want to be roasting outside?

Hey Peter,

Basically it’s portability and avoiding wind with the Huky. I built a cart for mobility in the garage, but accessing my outside roasting area involves going up steps. Issue will be winter weather roasts.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2022, 12:12:54 PM »
makes a lot of sense.
The Behmor one little unit you tote where you want, plop it down, plug it in and it's good to go, although wind / breezes will IMO cause more harm to the process with the Behmor than it would with a Huky.

The Huky you have to lug a heavy roaster, propane tanks, and all sorts of other gadgetry and set it up.  Much less portable than the B is.

Aaron