Author Topic: Latest price check for rebuilding espresso rotary pumps.  (Read 1059 times)

Tex

Latest price check for rebuilding espresso rotary pumps.
« on: August 02, 2010, 12:56:06 PM »
I just checked prices of rebuilt pumps at JC Beverage Company;

"Our standard price for refurbishing a Series 2 espresso pump is
$38.50 plus shipping."

Not bad considering a new Procon Series 2 costs as much as $200.

CAGurl

Re: Latest price check for rebuilding espresso rotary pumps.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 01:06:10 PM »
$38.50 plus shipping."

I think that's the same price they charged me two years ago to have the Bunn pump rebuilt. 

Susan

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 05:06:01 PM »

$38.50 plus shipping."

Thanks for the heads up Robert.

That sounds very reasonable.

;)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 06:38:19 PM »

$38.50 plus shipping."

;)

That's one of the reasons I recommend used commercial machines so strongly - there's very little that costs much to replace, as long as the electronics are intact. In that regard, I've seen a few machines with burned out brain boxes and those were the ones where the manufacturer didn't have fuses for protection. Two of those machines I converted to semi-autos and the current owners love them (not to mention how they liked the low prices).

In fact, I've got two Futurmat/Bunn & one Nuova Simonelli and between them I've put ~$250 in parts. But for one machine I did invest ~$400 in paint & metalwork; but I figure it would be a $4000 machine if I bought it new.

The rotary pump is just part of the equation: there is also a motor to drive the pump and a start capacitor to get the motor running. A missing pump & motor is one of the big ticket items to look for: ~$250 for the motor & ~$200 for the pump.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 06:45:39 PM »

$38.50 plus shipping."

;)

That's one of the reasons I recommend used commercial machines so strongly - there's very little that costs much to replace, as long as the electronics are intact. In that regard, I've seen a few machines with burned out brain boxes and those were the ones where the manufacturer didn't have fuses for protection. Two of those machines I converted to semi-autos and the current owners love them (not to mention how they liked the low prices).

In fact, I've got two Futurmat/Bunn & one Nuova Simonelli and between them I've put ~$250 in parts. But for one machine I did invest ~$400 in paint & metalwork; but I figure it would be a $4000 machine if I bought it new.

The rotary pump is just part of the equation: there is also a motor to drive the pump and a start capacitor to get the motor running. A missing pump & motor is one of the big ticket items to look for: ~$250 for the motor & ~$200 for the pump.

:o
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 06:56:54 PM »

$38.50 plus shipping."

;)

Shocked at what I said or the prices? The machines I recommend have one thing in common; commonality of off-the-shelf parts. About the only unique thing about most commercial HX machines are the brain boxes and heating elements. Everything else is pretty much interchangeable - which translates to lower cost. You want to see high parts costs, look at the mostly proprietary parts lists of the prosumer machines!

The pstats, tstats, gauges, 2-way & 3-way solenoid valves, heck I've even taken a steam valve from a La Cimbali and grafted it to a Nuova Simonelli and you'd have a hard time identifying it as non-stock.

Of the 60 or so owners of the Bunn ES-1A I know of, I doubt if any of them have put in more than $200 in parts. That's for a machine built in the early 90's using industry standard parts.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 06:58:31 PM by Tex »

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 07:00:07 PM »

$38.50 plus shipping."

;)

Shocked at what I said or the prices? The machines I recommend have one thing in common; commonality of off-the-shelf parts. About the only unique thing about most commercial HX machines are the brain boxes and heating elements. Everything else is pretty much interchangeable - which translates to lower cost. You want to see high parts costs, look at the mostly proprietary parts lists of the prosumer machines!

The pstats, tstats, gauges, 2-way & 3-way solenoid valves, heck I've even taken a steam valve from a La Cimbali and grafted it to a Nuova Simonelli and you'd have a hard time identifying it as non-stock.

Of the 60 or so owners of the Bunn ES-1A I know of, I doubt if any of them have put in more than $200 in parts. That's for a machine built in the early 90's using industry standard parts.

~$250 for the motor & ~$200 for the pump

:D
lp, 7-Ski

CAGurl

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 07:13:50 PM »
That's one of the reasons I recommend used commercial machines so strongly - there's very little that costs much to replace, as long as the electronics are intact.

Well maybe if you have a sherpa to carry it around, a rocket scientist to figure out how it works, and the patience of a saint to take it apart and put it back together again.....oh, and a good Gaggia to make your espressos with while it's in pieces....

My experience with a commercial machine was.....(expletive deleted).

Susan

Tex

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 07:16:05 PM »

$38.50 plus shipping."

;)

~$250 for the motor & ~$200 for the pump

:D

That's why you often see me ask if the pump & motor are included, because in larger machines (2, 3 & 4 group) the pump & motor are separate from the machines, and is too often not included with the machine.

Kinda makes some of those cheap CL machines look suspicious, right?

BTW: Most 1-group machines have internal pumps/motors and are seldom not included.

edited: Those are new parts prices. If you ask around, sooner or later you'll find someone with extras who'll let them go for a pittance.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 07:19:50 PM by Tex »

Tex

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 07:17:27 PM »
That's one of the reasons I recommend used commercial machines so strongly - there's very little that costs much to replace, as long as the electronics are intact.

Well maybe if you have a sherpa to carry it around, a rocket scientist to figure out how it works, and the patience of a saint to take it apart and put it back together again.....oh, and a good Gaggia to make your espressos with while it's in pieces....

My experience with a commercial machine was.....(expletive deleted).

Susan

But you did a bleepin great job of taking one apart! >:D

CAGurl

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 07:26:11 PM »
But you did a bleepin great job of taking one apart! >:D

I did, didn't I.....

And even had fun doing it....

Susan