Author Topic: Pourover Kettle Thread  (Read 29055 times)

BoldJava

Re: Pourover Kettle Thread
« Reply #195 on: February 01, 2013, 04:18:28 AM »
Let's see if the 1.2 liter hits the porch this afternoon.  Would love to play with it tomorrow.

Location   Description   Date / Time
TROY
ID, 83871
Shipment Accepted   January 29, 2013 - 2:37 pm
---
OAK CREEK
WI, 5315
Processed through USPS Sort Facility   January 31, 2013 - 9:22 pm

BoldJava

« Reply #196 on: February 02, 2013, 12:25:11 PM »
Tiamo 1.2 Liter Kettle (40.5 oz) from Orphan Espresso. (Note:  No reimbursement for the product placement - for proportion purposes only except buy Wisconsin beer).

1st impressions.
1.  Man, who thought up this dual arrangement on the handle.  Uncomfortable; unnatural feel.
2.  Love the wide top.  A plus.
3.  The thermometer hole in the top doesn't take a standard kitchen frothing thermometer.  Orphan sells one that must fit but why not make it a generic application?
4.  Top stays on securely.
5.  Easily controlled pour, more than what is needed.
6.  Love the volume available.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 01:05:40 PM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #197 on: February 02, 2013, 12:28:28 PM »
Tips?  Comparable to the Paico.

Extreme control though not as "pointed" as the Takahiro.  I found the Paico and Takahiro similar -- the Tiamo seems to offer a very similar amount of control, way more than I believe is needed for a great pourover.

I am going to work with pourovers for the next 10 days or so and give some fuller feedback then.

Tiamo at 11 o'clock; Paico at 8 o'clock.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #198 on: February 02, 2013, 12:56:52 PM »
9/32" drill bit on standby to ream out that hole in the top.  <angel>
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #199 on: February 10, 2013, 10:01:02 AM »
Tiamo 1.2 Liter Kettle (40.5 oz) from Orphan Espresso. (Note:  No reimbursement for the product placement - for proportion purposes only except buy Wisconsin beer).

1st impressions.
1.  Man, who thought up this dual arrangement on the handle.  Uncomfortable; unnatural feel.
2.  Love the wide top.  A plus.
3.  The thermometer hole in the top doesn't take a standard kitchen frothing thermometer.  Orphan sells one that must fit but why not make it a generic application?
4.  Top stays on securely.
5.  Easily controlled pour, more than what is needed.
6.  Love the volume available.

Been using the Tiamo for a few days now and thought I would tie up the first look.  Good kettle.

^  Enjoying the look on the stove.  Czarina votes for the Paico.
^  Love the 1.2 volume.  A breeze for making my standard morning demand/supply chart of a liter of coffee.
^  Tiamo has less surface space heating (tall, with narrow base) than the Paico.  Takes a few minutes longer to heat the same volume than the Paico.  Immaterial to this putzer.
^  Good balance in the kettle.  Heavier SS than the Paico.
^  Handle becomes the deal breaker.  Really dislike the flat strip arrangement for a handle (compared to the Takahiro).
^  Tip offers a ton of control and more than I need.

Would I buy again?  While it is a fine kettle, I would opt for the Paico kettle which now lists at 1.2 liter.  I have always maintained it could do 1.2 liters -- now it lists at that size.  Out of stock but $24/and about $13 shipping when it returns to stock from Hong Kong.  1/2 the price of the Tiamo for same volume.

http://www.homeloo.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=574

Were I to start over on all kettles (knowing what I know now), I would buy a lifetime purchase, a 1.5 liter Takahiro which can be ordered through Prima for nearly $200.  Done.

BoldJava

« Reply #200 on: February 17, 2013, 06:35:16 AM »
And an alternative to the continuous vs the pulse pour.  This one is the "Ride the Bloom," prepared by Chris Owens of Intelli.

Hario V60 pourover how-to on Vimeo
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 06:39:27 AM by BoldJava »

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #201 on: February 17, 2013, 06:42:30 AM »
I've done thousands of ride the cloud pours. That method gets my stamp of approval for a no nonsense "need coffee now" pour.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #202 on: February 17, 2013, 06:52:31 AM »
I've done thousands of ride the cloud pours. That method gets my stamp of approval for a no nonsense "need coffee now" pour.

That's similar to my pour too, other than the preinfusion and I ride my cloud up the sides more slowly.  That part of the pour should be determined by the flow-rate of the filter, in my opinion.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
  • Espresso: QuickMill Roaster: Behmor, HGDB
« Reply #203 on: February 17, 2013, 08:28:30 AM »
Thank you, B|Teacher. That is a lot less fussy--need that for school. The powers that be frown on caffeine IV drips and nasal feeding tubes for chocolate to keep us going. ;)

ecc

« Reply #204 on: February 17, 2013, 12:20:15 PM »

A quick pre-rinse on a brown filter with no dump, no kettle preheat, ultra efficient manpower pour with a lot of water stacking on top seems to be a commercial favorite.  I recently timed a newly open boutique shop at just under 1:30 for 12oz on a single hole dripper using a technique very similar to the video.

There are a lot of paths through the extraction countryside.  I understand why some prefer the shortest distance between two points, but ...

Rodney Dangerfield Snorts Coffee

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #205 on: February 21, 2013, 10:50:23 AM »
I actually felt that I liked it the least because with this kettle my pinky was hitting the hot kettle body

My grip has nothing touching the body of the kettle...
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline fore

• Standard User
« Reply #206 on: February 22, 2013, 08:06:54 AM »
Well that copper one certainly looks great! 

ecc

« Reply #207 on: February 22, 2013, 09:48:04 AM »
The handle feels awkward to me unless I grab onto it from the side.   (kettle perpendicular to my forearm)  Only the tips of my fingers go inside the handle. 

I also like to pour it by rotating my forearm, not bending the wrist much, not raising the elbow.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 09:51:09 AM by ecc »

BozemanEric

« Reply #208 on: February 22, 2013, 10:05:05 AM »
Today I split the hot water up amongst the two covered kettles, the Tiamo 700 ml and the Takahiro 900 ml and alternated them on a hot burner to keep the water temp up.

Good idea. If I want two Takahiro kettles I could keep my water temperature up (important at 5000 feet above sea level) and do 20+ ounce pourovers. This was definitely an idea I did not need to hear about.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #209 on: February 22, 2013, 10:27:38 AM »

Good idea. If I want two Takahiro kettles I could keep my water temperature up (important at 5000 feet above sea level) and do 20+ ounce pourovers.

;D

You just solved B I bigpour's problem.

Two fist fulls of Takahiro.  8)

Lee Morrison