Author Topic: ** Indian ROBUSTA 100 Lb 1.17.24  (Read 13709 times)

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Re: ** Indian ROBUSTA 100 Lb 2.16.23
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2023, 07:16:15 AM »
Alex, I will be VERY interested in seeing how this goes.

I have played with coffee before, throwing a bit of cinnamon or nutmeg or even some cajun spices in to see what it does.

What spices do you have specifically in mind or are you just playing around to see what it does?
The brazil general utility might be a bit better to drink with the spices if you get a good mix.  but spices might also make Robusta a bit more drinkable to the non Neanderthal palate :)

I also played with garlic a bit too but well.  I'll leave you to your own machinations and please keep us updated !
Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Alex.Enc

• Standard User
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2023, 09:40:47 AM »
Thanks, Aaron. I thought it will be something fun and different to do while using some spices I have in the pantry to good use.

Im going to try infusing one spice at a time and write a profile for each spice with robusta coffee. Got some allspice, nutmeg, star anise, cardamom, black pepper, paprika, and cumin. might use some sea salt too. This is step one to building a spiced coffee blend.

Maybe ill make something delicious, maybe it will be disgusting and piss everyone off, who knows? :) I'll be sure to update as I go, happy to share the results.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2023, 10:20:33 AM »
Alex, one thing that seems very popular is cold brewing the Robusta.  I have several of my members who buy it, cold brew it.  They say it comes out very strong but NOT bitter, because you didn't heat it up, you leave that behind in the extract.   

TBH I have not played with any myself that way, I just got way too much stuff going on to be messing with MORE coffee, man I wish I had someone working with me !! but a few have said it was pretty good !

One thing I WILL say I have done is it makes an excellent Kahlua!

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline warren1960

• Standard User
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2023, 06:16:50 PM »
Paid for 5 lbs. Indian Robusta please and thank you.

Offline warren1960

• Standard User
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2023, 02:17:19 PM »
Has anything shipped yet?

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2023, 03:52:54 AM »
warren yes it is all on the way.

aaron

Offline msilk

• Standard User
Re: ** Indian ROBUSTA 100 Lb 5.5.23
« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2023, 05:47:36 AM »
Aaron:

Do you have 15 pounds of the Robusta?  If so let me know and I will send the PP. 

Offline msilk

• Standard User
« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2023, 10:51:15 AM »
15 pounds Robusta ordered.  PP sent. 

BTW I make a Kailua equivalent with instant coffee (yes, I know).  What recipe do you use with the Robusta? 

Offline JmSky2014

• Standard User
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2023, 04:49:46 PM »
5# of indian robust

PayPal sent

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Re: ** Indian ROBUSTA 100 Lb 1.17.24
« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2024, 07:44:49 PM »
Still have Robusta available and it's just as fresh as the day you ordered it  :D

Aaron

Offline Alex.Enc

• Standard User
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2024, 02:30:12 PM »
Hey Aaron, thought id give you an update on the slow but fun experiments i have made.

I got some really good results of a spiced blend with star anise, cinnamon bark, nutmeg and cloves (all equal parts, ground separately from the coffee)

I made an experiment with one batch of robusta with 3 samples of each:
1st- 8 grams coffee- 150 grams hot water- 0 spice blend-
2nd- 8 grams coffee- 150 grams hot water- 0.5 grams spice blend
3rd- 8 grams coffee- 150 grams hot water- 1 gram spice blend
4th-8 grams coffee- 150 grams hot water- 1.5 grams spice blend

And the third one with 1 gram of the spice blend per 8 grams of ground coffee (mixed after they were separately ground) yields a spiced coffee almost like a chai, but with body and character. It is drinkable black,because of the spices it is not bad at all.

Id say the spice blend with natural coffees from Brazil or Ethiopia (specially lower altitude coffees) is a really great combo.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2024, 11:52:59 AM »
thank you for the reply alex.  Yes that does sound really good!

Adding flavors to coffee, while some will see that as blasphemy, my opinion is, well, if it's natural stuff and not artificial garbage drowned in corn syrup, then it can't be that bad.  I mean if you want to be a total purist, your cream and sugar are adding flavors right?  Drink it BLACK !!!

But on that I have played with some chocolate before, really good, vanilla pod before, really good, expensive but I have a vanilla plant I have been growing for the better part of 2 decades so I get plenty of pods each year about this time.  I got 17 of them it looks like my yield will be this year, Ill expect about 14 give or take a few to actually make it to the end in super condition.  Vanilla is a PITA but it's well worth it.

Another thing you may try is sassafras, which is used for root beer, there is a root beer plant, which is a herbaceous broad leaf, pulpy kind of plant .. make a tea out of those to get the 'flavored water' and then use that water to brew your coffee with... just another idea for you to play with.

THanks for the follow up, please feel free to keep at it and if you want, start a whole new topic so we can keep that specific thread going and others who may want to try, have a place to share their results, recipes's etc etc.

Aaron

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2024, 05:38:59 AM »
Why not, its a robusta!

Offline unclepunchy

• Standard User
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2024, 10:29:48 AM »
Im in for:

Mexican Chiapas: 5#