Author Topic: Behmor 1600 Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 94329 times)

BoldJava

Re: Behmor 1600 Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks
« Reply #300 on: August 08, 2009, 12:18:19 PM »
The mod is different than you suggest.  You need to run this through Behmor as there are liability issues.

B|Java

Offline pm

• Standard User
« Reply #301 on: August 08, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »
Thanks. That's all I needed to know; will give em a call this week.

Paul, as he roasts in his Behmor!  :)

ira

« Reply #302 on: August 08, 2009, 12:33:23 PM »
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 12:14:46 AM by ira »

Offline pm

• Standard User
« Reply #303 on: August 08, 2009, 01:09:08 PM »
edit
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 01:34:42 PM by pm »

Offline pm

• Standard User
« Reply #304 on: August 08, 2009, 01:30:27 PM »
sorry
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 01:35:02 PM by pm »

Offline Joe52

• Standard User
« Reply #305 on: October 31, 2009, 08:47:55 PM »
Customer Service is the best ever.If only other companies were as good as Behmor we would be sitting pretty good.Tech support are right there to keep you roasting.Awesome company.

Joe E.
Fear not,O land;be glad and rejoice:for the Lord will do great things. Joel 2:21

Offline Girardian

• Standard User
« Reply #306 on: January 12, 2010, 10:05:14 AM »
I'm about to put customer service to the test.  I've performed "two" mods, as instructed by Behmor. 

However, I've never (not since day 1) been able to roast more than 12 oz in my Behmor and get past 1st crack / into 2nd crack. 

("Cracks" on the machine are somewhat deceptive, as the roaster seems to suppress 2nd crack but you can monitor the smoke.)   

Everything about roasting environment is spot on:
- good voltage (tested)
- appropriate ambient temp.
- clean sensors
- clean interior of the machine

Now I'm getting an ERR-1 message.   >:(

tjnamtiw

« Reply #307 on: January 12, 2010, 10:46:36 AM »
Yea, it's time to make the call. 
I opened up the 'gap' as instructed long ago and have ALWAYS been able to reach second crack of a full 16 ounces except a small java bean.

Modelmaker

« Reply #308 on: January 12, 2010, 11:07:58 AM »
I got a Behmor at christmas and had an issue with the rubber door gasket. sent them an email on the 27th and have yet to hear anything from them at all.
I'm not seeing this great customer service that everyone is talking about.
AND I too cannot roast more than 12 ounces of beans to first crack. I'm gettin kinda frustrated at this thing.

aspenwilde

« Reply #309 on: January 12, 2010, 11:17:20 AM »
Since the making the Behmor approved modification I can get 14oz of most bean into a rolling 2nd crack.

Prior to the mod I could not get 1st crack with even 10 oz of bean.

Q: Does anyone else have increased roast times due to altitude (I'm @ 10,000ft)?

Offline Joe52

• Standard User
« Reply #310 on: January 12, 2010, 11:56:49 AM »
Howdy Folks,

Behmor tech support has always been fantasic on my end.Very prompt and helpfull.I to was having a problem roasting anymore than 12 or 14 ounces and getting to a second crack.I made the suggested mod and now both of my roasters will do a pound well into the second crack.My roasters are over 2 years old.
Contact them again maybe and see what happens,but I was totally impressed with their service.
I'm sure they will take care of you.
Joe E.

Fear not,O land;be glad and rejoice:for the Lord will do great things. Joel 2:21

Offline Ringo

• Standard User
« Reply #311 on: April 07, 2010, 09:30:26 AM »
Yea, customer service has been great, I had a heater burn out, he sent out the parts and got me going.  When you sent a question to service the president of the company is the one who writes back, thats a good thing.  I have an opinion on roasting on the behmor, do not flame me here.   I believe the chaff collecter shinny metal is important.  I beleive keeping the metal shinny makes your roast faster, more radient heat is reflected back to the beans.  After every roast I pull out the chaff collecter so the beans can cool faster while its still hot I wipe it with a rag, oils wipe off.  Every few roast when I do the no bean roast I use simple green to clean everything.   I believe my roast are faster and more consistant.
If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.
Abraham Lincoln

bvillr

« Reply #312 on: June 04, 2010, 03:03:04 PM »
What Ringo says about keeping the chaff collector shiny makes sense.  Hadnt thought of that.  A query -- sweet marias has a list serv thing.  usually filled with inspiring posts about how they are drinking some coffee from somewhere at sunrise and how good life is.  whatever.  anyway, in a completely unusual posting, the poster implied that behmor was coming out with a behmor 1750 that was beefed up on power and had some pretty cool sounding mod on the profiles.  anyone know if this is true?  and will be 1600 people be able to retrofit the upgrades?

pravspresso

« Reply #313 on: June 05, 2010, 09:26:16 AM »
Just a note on Simple Green: Got this from the website. I have no idea if it matters
 or not but worth posting.

Inhalation - Is inhaling Simple Green® hazardous to my health?
Problems can result if the mist of Simple Green is breathed into the nose or throat. This is true of practically every cleaner on the market. Because Simple Green contains surfactants (surface-active-agents) and because surfactants have the ability to lift grease, oil and soils up off of surfaces, an aggravation of the mucous membranes of the nose and throat can result from breathing in misted particles of the product. This can cause sore throat, sore nose, sore sinuses, coughing and -in extreme cases- a tightness in the chest. Although uncomfortable, Simple Green is non-toxic and these are completely reversible symptoms. Persons with chronic asthma, emphysema, or other lung conditions should take precautions and avoid breathing in surfactant mists.

I found this online as an alternative which works:

To clean my oven, I sprinkle baking soda all over the bottom until it is covered completely with about 1/4 of an inch of baking soda. Then, using a clean spray bottle, I spray the baking soda with water until the baking soda is thoroughly damp but not flooded. After that, this lazy cleaner goes off and does other things. When I think of it, I dampen the baking soda again if it is drying out. Before I go to bed, I do that again. When I wake up in the morning, the baking soda can effortlessly be scooped out of the oven with a sponge, bringing all the grime with it

Offline tahoejoe

• Standard User
« Reply #314 on: June 06, 2010, 10:04:10 AM »
Simple Green like anything including baking soda if misused or if large amounts are inhaled can have negative side effects.

We suggest to lightly spray a diluted mix to the interior side walls in conjunction with a dry burn to remove any leftover sediment of Simple Green. Myself having used Simple Green for over 10 years and knowing it was designed to clean professional coffee roasters have no concerns in using the product.

As to there being a Behmor 1750. My garage (and office floor) are an inventors dream and wife's nightmare because I'm always tweaking things, tearing roasters a part seeking ways to improve but as of today there is nothing in production nor has there ever been a model number 1750 discussed.

If Behmor does introduce anything that is radically different or enhanced, we would in either case work to supply reasonably priced kits that would enable current Behmor owners to upgrade their system in a relatively easy manner. My standard will be the "Jerry" standard. Jerry is my brother who is definitely not the most able person with tools but can use a screw driver, drill or other small tools with success. It just may take him twice as long as others.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 06:15:38 AM by tahoejoe »