Author Topic: Question: Comparison of the Bravi Home Roaster vs the Behmor Roaster  (Read 803 times)

willix

I've had the Nesco Pro Roaster for about 18 months now and I'm ready to buy one with more capacity.  In looking at the Bravi Home Roaster (1/2 lb capacity) and the Behmor (1lb capacity), I'm looking for advise as to which one to buy, since they are the same price - (about $300).  Here are my considerations:
1.  I presently roast about 3 loads a week in the Nesco, so 1/2 vs 1 lb capacity is not a really big issue.
2.  The Nesco is loud, so there is no listening for any "cracks".  All must be done by sight.  Would like to be able to listen to the roast.
3.  The Nesco has no programmable roast curves; it's just off or on.  Does variable temps during roast cycles offer that much of an advantage toward better tasting roasts, especially since I tend to go for the darker roasts?
4.  Any other advantages/disadvantages to either of the two roasters?
Thanks in advance,

milowebailey

Re: Question: Comparison of the Bravi Home Roaster vs the Behmor Roaster
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 07:34:46 AM »
As far as I know the Bravi is no longer made, so you cannot get parts or service.  It was the successor to the Swismar Alpenrost.  Good roaster, but programming is limited.... but I guess that's true with the Behmor too, but it's still made and supported.

Hope that helps

willix

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 08:06:26 AM »
Thanks, I wasn't aware of that.  So I guess that means that the only $300 roaster available is the Behmor 1600, and the next one up in price from that is the Gene Caffe for $500.00?

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 09:50:47 AM »
The behmore has a larger capacity, is a drum roaster, and the gen is a fluidized bed roaster sort of if I am correct.??
The behmore I believe has more flexibility in what you can do with it and you do not have to roast a pound at a time, you can do 1/4 , 1/2 or a full pound on it.
I have one and have had no problems with it really.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Tex

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 11:43:38 AM »
I just wish someone would manufacture the TurboCrazy. I can see something in the $350 - $500 range, with a 1 lb capacity, that would simply blow the doors off the competition.

But then again, who'd buy it when the things can be put together from new parts for ~$80? But I keep looking at what's available and see a good niche for a simple roaster.

???

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 04:59:49 PM »
Does variable temps during roast cycles offer that much of an advantage toward better tasting roasts...

Yes.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 05:58:58 AM by milowebailey »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison