Author Topic: Jake's Futurmat Rimini Espresso Machine Rebuild  (Read 10305 times)

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
Jake's Futurmat Rimini Espresso Machine Rebuild
« on: November 30, 2010, 11:32:13 PM »
pro-cras-ti-nate---  To put off doing something until a future time.  To postpone or delay needlessly. 

this is what a procrastinator looks like-

That's me, shakin_jake, I'm a procrastinator=:-)

I bought a used a espresso machine in Jan of 09'...a Futurmat Rimini which is a commercial HX one group espresso machine made by Ggaggia Spain.  The one I bought sort of worked by the time I got it home (Fed-Ex shipped it to me from Arkansas IIRC)

I bought it for a fair price ($400).  According to the model plate, it was manufactured in Y2K.  The PO used it in his retail bakery for a couple of years selling drinks before he retiored and closed shop.  Since there was flour used in the bakery (it was a bakery after all), there was a fine bit of flour silt most eveywhere on this machine under the outside covers

I knew before I bought it I would completely disassemble it just so I could determine which parts needed replacing or refinishing plus I thought if I took it down to the frame, when disassembling and reassembling, I would be able to figure out what each component did and how it all worked

My prior espresso machine knowledge began with the modded consumer Gaggia Classic I bought from Tex back around April 08'.  After using the Gaggia Classic for approx. 10 months, I knew I wanted to move on to an espresso machine that could froth milk while pulling a shot at the same time, and w/o getting ahead of myself in this espresso machine journey, I figured the next logical machine to use would be an HX (heat exchanger) type, and I wanted to buy a used machine needing repair so I could learn a thing or two while rebuilding it

This is what my Rimini looked like when I opened the shipping crate

The PO sent me a few pics before buying so I knew what I was getting into but the machine was damaged during shipping from mishandling, mainly a few dents in the metal side covers

I wasn't too concerned about the damage as I figured on doing a re-spray of the metal side covers anyway and as it turned out, the Shipper (Fed-Ex) decided not to charge me for the shipping because they mishandled it and Fed-Ex also paid to have the damaged side covers re-sprayed, which included the metal prep to remove the dings

So this all happened back in Jan of 09' and I continued to strip the machine and create a parts list so I could purchase new components where the originals failed.  Shortly after getting it on my work bench I got some water to it so I could fill the boiler and see how she could run and pull a shot, but I had my suspicions on whether or not this machine would be shot worthy.  Prior to buying it, a conversation I had with the PO about how he maintained this machine, I found out he never backflushed it with straight water nor detergent, so I had my doubts what the machine was capable of doing

So she's full of water, I turn the boiler heater on and the water proceeds to heat up.  P=Stat works opening and closing then I tried getting water to move through the group and sure enough, water streamed out of the group, but when I went to detergent backflush the group, the group immediately clogged.  No biggie, I was prepared to remove the group, take it aprt and start soaking it.  First in Joe Glo, then in a citric acid solution.  That was just one aspect of getting this machine back into shot worthy condition

Parts were ordered and time moves on, while waiting for parts to arrive.  Next thing I know it's April 09' and I get a phone call from Salvatore's espresso wanting to know if I was still interested in buying a One Black espresso machine we discussed in October 08'.  I was on a waiting list and the time to fulfil the order had arrived

I had just sold my Gaggia Classic about a week before and I was w/o an espresso machine.  Well, at least a working espresso machine.  There were some delays getting parts for my Rimini to me and so I thought I would go ahead with getting an HX machine from Salvatore.  Worst case scenario, I would have two working espresso machines but by using both, I could figure out which one would best serve my needs and sell the other.  This is where the procrastination part comes in.  Unbeknownst to me, now that I had a good working espresso machine, I had little motivation to put my Rimini back together and get it in working order

Fast forward to late summer 2010 and I was needing some quick cash and decided to sell my Salvatore espresso machine, which I did advertizing it here and she quickly sold.  All the while I knew it would take only a little bit of work to finish assembling my Rimini project, so here I am

I'm guessing but I think I sold my Salvatore HX about 10 weeks ago.  So why isn't the Rimini finished?  More procrastination?=:-)  Nah!, Jake had the misfortune of acquiring gout around 7 or 8 weeks ago and I'm just now turning a corner.  I'm still using meds to reduce swelling and these pills have totally wiped out my desire to drink coffee or espresso, yet that will all change once off the meds in a couple of weeks

Getting back to my Rimini project, I thought some members here would be interested in watching this machine go back together.  And maybe I could somehow interest some others into tackling an espresso machine rebuild.  So sit back and watch for future posts to this thread.  The rebuild probably wont go fast.  I'm known to be a bit of a procrastinator=:-)

Jake
Reddick Fla.     
"Too dumb for opera, too smart for NASCAR"-Anonymous

Offline Ringo

• Standard User
Re: Jake's Futurmat Rimini Espresso Machine Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 04:08:39 AM »
Jake
I am on this ride with you.  I bought a Feama Due Smart single group in much worse shape than yours 7 months ago.  I got into a roaster build and put it on the back shelf.  Started taking everything apart last night.  Really stange not much scale in the boiler but the group and lots of pipes are clogged with scale, nasty gunk everywere.  Few parts missing.  How do you spend so much for a commercial espresso HX and let it get in this shape in 5 years.  The good news is the HX seems good, I worried it may have been cracked.

Ringo
If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.
Abraham Lincoln

BoldJava

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 04:30:46 AM »
...  How do you spend so much for a commercial espresso HX and let it get in this shape in 5 years. ...

Ringo

When I snagged those Mazzer Minis from the dance studio last week, they had a 2-grouphead Rancilio Epoca sitting there.  Spotless.  Still plumbed in.  I checked and there was no shut off valve under the sink or in the line.  Not turned on it 3.5 years.  Boiler is full and mineralizing.  $6000 machine wasting away.

B|Java

Offline Ringo

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 06:00:43 AM »
I think people buy these for there business and think they are like coffee pots plug em in and run em.  No service or mantenance.
If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.
Abraham Lincoln

Tex

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 06:01:09 AM »
I look forward to seeing your Rimini go back together Jake, it's been gathering dust long enough. After I get the front panel & drip tray pack from the polishers I'll be reassembling my Bunn ES-1A.

Take care!

milowebailey

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 06:23:52 AM »
Jake

I understand.  I have 4 commercial machines in various states of dis-repair.  I too have a working espresso machine (actually 2 of them) so the other ones are not done yet.  Do I consider myself a procrastinator.  Nope, just a guy who has other priorities.  If I needed a working machine I'd change them.  I have parts on order for one of my machines and got a few parts in the mail 2 days ago.   I'm looking forward to seeing your machine go back together.   

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 06:27:00 AM »
Look forward to following you on your journey to take apart and reassemble the machine.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

sduck27

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 07:34:00 AM »
Jake
  Got a BUNN es1a for $100 off of ebay, it was in good shape for 15-20 year old machine.  What a learning process, a LOT of fun and sense of accomplishment when I was done.  I did run into a few problems, the pump was bad, had to get it rebuild.  The pstat not functioning correctly or looking back maybe user error but put a PID on it and working great.  Looking for a new one to rebuild or play with.... good luck and enjoy the ride.

Steve

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 10:53:25 PM »
I'm going to put up a few pics tonight, some from when I was disassembling the machine

The above pic was taken from the rear with the covers off, so you're looking at the back of the boiler, motor for the pump lower right hand corner. upper left corner rear is the Sirai P-Stat, and next to it under the stainless steel cover is the resettable upper limit temp switch which can trip if the boiler heater gets too hot...it will trip instead of over heat the element, in the event of a low water situation.  Nice feature...and the stainless steel cover is there so water from cups placed above on the warming rack wont short the device out.  Upper right rear corner, the black plastic box is the electronic 'brain box'.  Looking at the right end of the boiler you see two pipes coming out of the end cap...  This machine has a boiler water level sight glass on the front panel, and the two pipes coming out of the end cap supplies water to the sight glass level.  It's a nice feature if you will, being able to see the water level in the boiler.  Useful purposes other than knowing there is water in the boiler?, if you're a restaurant serving a lot of teas and Americanos for lunch, you can run the water level up to handle the excess water needs at that moment, and there is also a button/valve on the front of the machine that allows the operator to over ride the water auto fill, so you can over fill the boiler if you want, instead of having to manually pull the auto fill probe up and out of it's socket, to adjust boiler water level.  The first pic on this thread, you can see the  manual water fill valve on the left front bottom of the machine (trim panel)...and the button/cover is not shown (removed)

Jake
Reddick Fla. 

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 11:10:16 PM »
Here's the water pump.  Looks a little nasty but it moved water

I thought it best to send the pump out for a rebuild, since it was obvious at some point it leaked water...and here's a pic of the pump after it came back from the shop that rebuilt it

Shop that rebuilt the pump, charged $38 for the rebuild

Here's what the two side covers looked like after bump and paint

The cover on the left is a little dusty.  The cover on the right I wiped down before taking the pic

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 11:26:04 PM »
After removing every component from the frame, there were a few rust spots I wanted to treat before re-spraying the frame

The green stuff in the coke bottle is a product calles Osmos, it will remove rust when applied over the rust, but I found that it also removed the anodizing that was applied to the metal frame

So I applied the Osmos to the rest of the frame.  I had an idea the frame would start to rust again if I didn't get paint to it quick.  My original plan was to go to an automotive paint store and buy paint and spray the frame myself but then I got to thinking, "why not drop the frame off to a shop that can powdercoat it for me?"  Here's their result-

Cost for the media blasting (to prep the frame) and the powder coating, less than $40
Although the shop that did the powdercoating taped exposed threads and placed caps in threaded holes, I still had to go over all of the threading with taps and dies to remove the plastic powdercoat from every thread, like the motor bracket stud and leveling leg you see here-

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 04:55:15 AM »
Really enjoying the rebuild Jake.
I am signed up and along for the ride.

BoldJava

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 06:18:59 AM »
Media blasting?  Is that just selecting a component and "sanding" with pressure?

Powder coating?  Whatzdat?  I know paint.

B|Java

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 06:29:12 AM »
Lookin' good!

Jake

I understand.  I have 4 commercial machines in various states of dis-repair.  I too have a working espresso machine (actually 2 of them) so the other ones are not done yet.  Do I consider myself a procrastinator.  Nope, just a guy who has other priorities.  If I needed a working machine I'd change them.  I have parts on order for one of my machines and got a few parts in the mail 2 days ago.   I'm looking forward to seeing your machine go back together.  

*cough* milowidget *cough*

;D

(Not that I have a lot of room to talk...I have a gaggia that needs PID, a Hottop that needs thermocouples installed, a project truck that's been in the garage for 7 years, and about a billion other things I'm putting off at the moment.)
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Tex

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 06:52:57 AM »
Media blasting?  Is that just selecting a component and "sanding" with pressure?

Powder coating?  Whatzdat?  I know paint.

B|Java

Ain't dat what broads do when day go to da john, coat der noses wid powder?