Author Topic: Coava disk filter for the Aeropress  (Read 5788 times)

Stubbie

Re: Coava disk filter for the Aeropress
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2010, 04:16:00 PM »

That's a damn good price. That AP looks like it's tinted or something. Mine is clear.

I just got a new shipment of them in, and these are the first ones I've gotten that are 'smoked' in color.  Don't know if that's the change they made when they went non-BPA or whatever.

-Stubbie

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2010, 08:32:20 PM »
BPA-free AP units are clear and the ones that contain BPA plastic have a milky blue tint. I may have to get me one of these with the tinted color. I like that.

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2010, 08:20:26 AM »
After seeing this, I stopped using my old BPA-AP, and put my order in for a new one with the screen yesterday.  Within an hour, I received notice that it had been shipped.  Wow!  Was there ever a re-call for the original APs?
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2010, 08:36:19 AM »
I can't figure what's earth-friendly about the steel. It takes a lot of carbon to make that steel, and putting paper filters in landfills sequesters carbon (part of my entire theme that we should increase demand for any disposable carbon-based product that requires little energy to manufacture, and see to it that it's properly deposited in one of a vast number of landfills ;-)

Not to broach a hot topic; I just don't think it's possible to know enough to be content, with warrant, that either alternative is in the long run somehow more or less responsible for making things better or worse.

For me, the alternative to being more certain than is warranted is not to not give a rip, it's just to be content with not knowing.

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2010, 09:19:27 AM »
For me, it's about taste.  ...and BPA.
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2010, 10:56:19 AM »
After seeing this, I stopped using my old BPA-AP, and put my order in for a new one with the screen yesterday.  Within an hour, I received notice that it had been shipped.  Wow!  Was there ever a re-call for the original APs?

There was never a recall but I did end up contacting AP corporate HQ in the hopes that they would be so guilt ridden at the potential health hazards I may have been exposed to that they would send me a free AP. Not so lucky:

Quote from: Aerobie Co.
If the AeroPress is a milky blue color then it is not BPA free. You can purchase a new chamber and plunger BPA free for $19.50 from us. We had a out side lab test for leakage of BPA into the coffee and they found no BPA in the coffee useing the milky blue color AeroPress.

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2010, 11:54:09 AM »
Personally, I don't think using an Aero that's BP-free is a big issue because I'm not diligent in scrutinizing all other plastics which not only may be in my hand with food I purchase, but behind the scenes in processing of various foods.

Is BPA illegal for use in food processing?

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2010, 07:58:17 PM »
My AP is milky blue and I've guzzled loads of coffee from it....

:help:
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2010, 06:47:13 AM »
I can't figure what's earth-friendly about the steel. It takes a lot of carbon to make that steel, and putting paper filters in landfills sequesters carbon (part of my entire theme that we should increase demand for any disposable carbon-based product that requires little energy to manufacture, and see to it that it's properly deposited in one of a vast number of landfills ;-)

Not to broach a hot topic; I just don't think it's possible to know enough to be content, with warrant, that either alternative is in the long run somehow more or less responsible for making things better or worse.

You've probably found as I have, that thinking things out often makes you a party pooper.   ;D

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline kelppaddy

• Standard User
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2010, 06:52:32 AM »
I see there are several inverted Aeropress/Coava disk methods listed on the Coava website.  One of them doesn't even involve "plunging" the Aeropress.

http://coava.myshopify.com/blogs/news/2429072-inverted-aeropress-disk-method

kp

ecc

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2010, 11:01:22 AM »

You've probably found as I have, that thinking things out often makes you a party pooper.   ;D

Not to further confuse thinking things out with blatant rationalizations,  (I know I don't like to throw stuff away) but unless the energy/resources required to clean the coava filter is greater than the energy/resources used to manufacture, package, transport, and dispose of each of the paper filters, wouldn't the coava filter eventually be ahead?  Admittedly, the number of uses might be pretty high before break even  ....

Carbon sequestering in vast landfills?   :tard:

BoldJava

« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2010, 03:44:50 AM »
"First look" is up over at CG:

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/510319

BJava

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2010, 07:19:35 AM »

Not to further confuse thinking things out with blatant rationalizations,  (I know I don't like to throw stuff away) but unless the energy/resources required to clean the coava filter is greater than the energy/resources used to manufacture, package, transport, and dispose of each of the paper filters, wouldn't the coava filter eventually be ahead?  Admittedly, the number of uses might be pretty high before break even  ....

Carbon sequestering in vast landfills?   :tard:

So get a gently used campfire coffee pot (re-re-re-cycled) and learn how to make a good pot of coffee the cowboy way.. good for the environment and yet another great coffee brewing challenge to be concord..

EricBNC

« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2010, 09:27:29 PM »
I recycled a twenty cent scrap part to make one of these - my Aeropress was used
too so no BPA's were harmed to create my set up. The metal looked like a roll of 35mm
film with round holes on the each side. It appears to be a strip cut from a long coil
that is then trapped in the white plastic (and probably BPA laden) body of this juicer part.

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2010, 11:18:40 PM »
OK, I picked up a Coava disk and that settles it -- I won't be getting a cone.

I have no idea why I occasionally abandon what I know in the vain hope that simple physics working against the cup's quality will somehow have morphed, since the last time I personally experienced it in action, into magic working in its favor.

If the holes are as big as these are, there'll be sludge in the bottom of the cup.

And there is. A ridiculous amount.

The cup tastes fine. But if I want Turkish coffee, I can brew that.

Yuck.