Author Topic: Coava disk filter for the Aeropress  (Read 5791 times)

EricBNC

Re: Coava disk filter for the Aeropress
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2010, 12:08:27 AM »
I don't get any sediment.
Maybe you are grinding
too fine...

thejavaman

« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2010, 05:18:42 AM »
I've been using the Disk for a few weeks and I never get any sediment either. I grind a tad finer than drip.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2010, 05:31:19 AM »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2010, 05:47:39 AM »
I've been using the disk for about a week now and I have to say that I like it. I did get more sludge than I would have liked with my normal AP grind, so I went a bit coarser with my grind. Still a bit of sludge but not enough to worry about, and it produced a better flavor IMHO.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2010, 05:55:56 AM »
Still a bit of sludge but not enough to worry about, and it produced a better flavor IMHO.

[Buffer voice]
And in this corner standing at 2/16 of an inch tall it's the undisputed pound for pound WGCBC champion... POLY filter.    [/Buffer voice]
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2010, 06:38:39 AM »
LOLs all around, but furrowed brow as well.

NO SLUDGE?

<luke skywalker>
That's impossible!
</luke skywalker>

I take a standard drip grind from a commercial Bunn grinder, drop in the Aeropress fitted with the disk, and pour in hot water.

Immediate, substantial wash-through in the Aero, with a lot of fines.

They do not magically disappear during the remainder of the brew process.

I do not wish to attribute a disoriented state to anyone claiming they get no fines from the disk, but I shall gently remind my patient reader that the first of April is some months off.    ;D ;D

EricBNC

« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2010, 08:50:01 AM »
I am not sure if I have the inverted technique down pat (but I am having fun practicing) but with the speed the liquid leaves the Aeropress using the perforated disc, I wonder what advantage I am gaining over a standard pour over with regard to extraction - my pressure plunge at the end is not meeting much resistance compared to a fine grind and the stock paper filter.  I will try the felt next - this disc is a bit of a let down.

Disclaimer - I am not using the Coava product. It is similar though.

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2010, 11:47:06 AM »
Inverted with the disk? Interesting.

The main advantage of inversion, I think, is that the bloom is the first thing to go through the filter, instead of the last thing to go through the puck. Thus, bloom-borne oils that would otherwise end up mired in the puck are quickly dispatched to the cup.

I'll have to try the disk inverted. Not with me today, alas.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2010, 12:03:18 PM »
Still a bit of sludge but not enough to worry about, and it produced a better flavor IMHO.

[Buffer voice]
And in this corner standing at 2/16 of an inch tall it's the undisputed pound for pound WGCBC champion... POLY filter.    [/Buffer voice]

I do agree that the poly is the overall flavor contender; a clean cup and full flavor. But the Disk wipes the floor with the poly when it comes to the cleanup round.

Ray T

« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2010, 03:31:17 PM »
Inverted with the disk? Interesting.

The main advantage of inversion, I think, is that the bloom is the first thing to go through the filter, instead of the last thing to go through the puck. Thus, bloom-borne oils that would otherwise end up mired in the puck are quickly dispatched to the cup.

I'll have to try the disk inverted. Not with me today, alas.

Thats about the only way it works well that I have found is inverted with a course grind almost to press pot 2 min. seep  then press very gently. Made a geat cup. The first time I had the Vario set way to fine and well you needed rubber boots to wade thru the muck. We use the Aeropress almost daily at home for the first cup. The problem I see is at 4:30 a m is not the time to invert anything  ;D. I can already see it flying across the kitchen or popping the disc in the trash on trash day  :(. My wife say's passssss

So I will to someone on the list

thejavaman

« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2010, 04:15:58 PM »
LOLs all around, but furrowed brow as well.

NO SLUDGE?

<luke skywalker>
That's impossible!
</luke skywalker>

I take a standard drip grind from a commercial Bunn grinder, drop in the Aeropress fitted with the disk, and pour in hot water.

Immediate, substantial wash-through in the Aero, with a lot of fines.

They do not magically disappear during the remainder of the brew process.

I do not wish to attribute a disoriented state to anyone claiming they get no fines from the disk, but I shall gently remind my patient reader that the first of April is some months off.    ;D ;D

Maybe I somehow got a disk with smaller diameter holes than everyone else has, but I'm telling you, I get no noticeable fines or sludge at all in the cups I've brewed with it...

ecdhunt

« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2010, 05:11:41 PM »

Maybe I somehow got a disk with smaller diameter holes than everyone else has, but I'm telling you, I get no noticeable fines or sludge at all in the cups I've brewed with it...

What grinder are you using?  That may have a big impact, no?

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2010, 10:57:05 PM »
2 min. seep

Good point. Inverted after a wait, the grind has swelled and fines that would otherwise pass now won't. Some still will, but far fewer.

Forgot about that.

That also explains the insane fines wash-through I had instantly upon pour.

This does not explain javaman's results, which I suspect involve dark arts and forbidden conjurations.   ;)

thejavaman

« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2010, 04:36:11 AM »
I use a Saeco Titan grinder set just a touch finer than drip. I always use the inverted method in any of my AP preparations. My procedure is very similar to STEVE LEIGHTON'S WITH HAS BEAN with the exception of me obviously using the Coava Disk instead of paper filters and me also adding a small amount (~2 oz.) of hot water to the inverted AP chamber prior to me adding my coffee, I then add the rest of the hot water and stir the "slurry" to promote an even saturation of the coffee grounds.  I also push very quickly with a very light, yet consistent pressure on the chamber and I always stop before I completely compact the coffee grounds (right before the "hiss").

I'm sipping a cup (made how I just described above) as I'm writing this and I'm thoroughly examining it to see if I can detect any fines or sludge (or to just see if I'm crazy  ;)), but I'm still coming up negative on both all three fronts. Sure, the cup is "oilier" compared to using paper filters and there is a "oily swirl" near the bottom of the cup, but I do not get little bits of coffee grounds floating around or any "muddy sludge" at the bottom of my cup like a French Press.  No "magic tricks" here, just a really good cup of coffee....
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 05:51:06 AM by thejavaman »

jasef

« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2010, 06:53:46 AM »
Apologies for digressing from the main topic, but I've seen BPA mentioned so much during this thread I wanted to chime in.

I have some experience woking with plastics and can tell you that the old aeropresses were made from polycarbonate. While this does contain BPA (no phthalates) it does not leech. So those folks with old APs are safe.

Aerobie made the move to BPA free copolyester because of the *perceived* risk with polycarbonate. Smart move.

If you're still thinking about dumping your old aeropress, feel free to send it to me.

Again, my apologies for the interruption.