Author Topic: Gas Grill does not heat up to as high a temperature  (Read 797 times)

Offline woodstock

• Standard User
Gas Grill does not heat up to as high a temperature
« on: April 24, 2011, 06:57:34 AM »
I have a gas grill  for roasting that has burners that are about a year old along with the tank and regulator.  I noticed after that after my last propane tank refill the grill does not heat up as fast or get to as high a temperature as it used to.  I checked all the connections nothing but they appear to be good. Any suggestions on where to start the trouble shooting?

Offline kelppaddy

• Standard User
Re: Gas Grill does not heat up to as high a temperature
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 07:34:42 AM »
I know here in Michigan, spiders like to make nests in the venturi's that can cause restrictions, sometimes with bad consequences.  You can buy flexible brushes for cleaning them out.  Something to look into.

kp

Charly

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 08:12:39 AM »
 Might be the regulator. They're not very expensive to replace.

Offline thcoffee

• Standard User
  • Roaster #4 RK Drum
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 09:32:04 AM »
Could be vapor lock. Take the tank off and release the pressure. Then hook back up and relight...hope this help

milowebailey

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 09:45:33 AM »
Could also be a bad tank of Propane. 

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 09:55:09 AM »
Yea, try removing tank and put back on and turn on the tank valve very slowly. That's what I was told by the propane shop.

Offline Ringo

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 05:22:32 AM »
Yea, try removing tank and put back on and turn on the tank valve very slowly. That's what I was told by the propane shop.
+1 on this.  These new tanks have a leak safety, when its tripped the grill will only get up to 300 deg or so.  When you put on a new tank make sure all valves are closed and open valve slowly.  I will get this problem on my roaster and my grill.  On the roaster the pressure gauge drops as soon as I light the pilot light.
Ringo   
If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.
Abraham Lincoln

Offline woodstock

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 06:47:19 PM »
Now I just need to get home early enough to try the suggestions.   It will probably be the weekend before I have time.  I will post an update.

Thanks!

Offline woodstock

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 04:11:40 PM »
Thanks the comment about the valve on the tank appears to be right on.  I really was careful and slowly  opended the valve and the grill heated up nicely.  Many thanks for the help.  A successful roast of some Tanzania PB.