Author Topic: Upgrade to gas sample/hobby roaster?  (Read 6524 times)

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
Re: Upgrade to gas sample/hobby roaster?
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2011, 08:01:36 AM »
Warrior-email me.

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2011, 09:24:46 AM »
hankua, your email address is hidden. Shoot me an email.

This company also seems to make very nice roasters too. They make a 1kg roaster. I cannot read anything about them . . . but they look very nice. The only currency I could find that made their assumed prices even somewhat logical was the Yen and that would put the price for their 1kg roaster at $8k-$10k depending on the options you choose.

http://www.fujiko-ki.co.jp/roaster_menu.htm

Based on the current exchange rate the T-1000 from BellaTaiwan costs $4350 plus shipping. So maybe $5k delivered? Not all that bad for a 1kg propane roaster compared to the previously mentioned brands / prices. The Mini-500 looks to cost about $3k plus shipping, so maybe $3.5k. What are import costs for something like that? I am sure you would be responsible for those too.

Apparently Toper makes a 1kg Electric that costs about $5.5k plus shipping.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 10:02:33 AM by Warrior372 »

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2011, 09:27:48 PM »
800n roaster has been ordered from the Yang-Chia Machine Works, Taichung Taiwan.

BoldJava

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2011, 02:59:03 AM »
800n roaster has been ordered from the Yang-Chia Machine Works, Taichung Taiwan.

Look forward to your impressions of the machine once you take it around the block several times.

B|Java

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2011, 10:33:42 AM »
Chang00 over at HB reports the Mini-500 is more than capable of roasting 500g in the 12-15 minute range. He has had one for quite a while now (since sometime in '09) and has not had a single hang-up telling me that the only problems are with the person roasting and not the roaster :) . With the projected US Dollar to Taiwanese Dollar being somewhere in the 1:32 range in October (from the current mid to high 28s) this would lower the price of the roaster for those of us in the US by about $400 dollars.

Tex

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2011, 10:54:25 AM »
Chang00 over at HB reports the Mini-500 is more than capable of roasting 500g in the 12-15 minute range. He has had one for quite a while now (since sometime in '09) and has not had a single hang-up telling me that the only problems are with the person roasting and not the roaster :) . With the projected US Dollar to Taiwanese Dollar being somewhere in the 1:32 range in October (from the current mid to high 28s) this would lower the price of the roaster for those of us in the US by about $400 dollars.

This being on the cusp of already taking too long, it brings four questions to mind;
1) I wonder how long it'll be before the element begins to lose power?
2) How much would a new element cost?
3) How long would it take to deliver a replacement element?
4) Depending on answers to 1 - 3, would it be worthwhile to order a replacement element to keep on hand?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 11:02:07 AM by Tex »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2011, 12:35:41 PM »

This being on the cusp of already taking too long, it brings four questions to mind;
4) Depending on answers to 1 - 3, would it be worthwhile to order a replacement element to keep on hand?

All valid questions, but the statement of 12-15 minutes being on the cusp of taking too long is incorrect. 

(adding "in my opinion", since you used to get tagged for not using that qualifier)  ;D
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2011, 02:23:39 PM »
The exchange rate I got recently at the bank in Taiwan was 29nt/1usd and it may be a while before we see 32/1. There is a custom gas roaster called the Huky500 (named after the builders dog) that is reasonably priced and will roast 250-500 grams, with 400 being ideal (according to Mr. Li the builder). All stainless, hand made, and beautiful. Not much to wear out, and has ceramic bearings. I've been emailing back and forth with Mr. Li and his English is very good, responsive to emails. There are photos on HB, along with a Youtube link. The price is 29800nt for the roaster, 1600nt for a digital thermometer, and 2600nt for the gas infrared stove with pressure gauge/needle valve.

This roaster can be easily mailed to the US by standard post or air for a reasonable price, and I heard he can build one in 3 days. There is another gas roaster just reported, called the Cube500. Lots of roasters to choose from over in Taiwan.

No connection with Mr. Li of Huky, and I have all the details regarding his roaster if anyone is interested.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 02:48:43 PM by hankua »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2011, 03:48:59 PM »
The exchange rate I got recently at the bank in Taiwan was 29nt/1usd and it may be a while before we see 32/1. There is a custom gas roaster called the Huky500 (named after the builders dog) that is reasonably priced and will roast 250-500 grams, with 400 being ideal (according to Mr. Li the builder). All stainless, hand made, and beautiful. Not much to wear out, and has ceramic bearings. I've been emailing back and forth with Mr. Li and his English is very good, responsive to emails. There are photos on HB, along with a Youtube link. The price is 29800nt for the roaster, 1600nt for a digital thermometer, and 2600nt for the gas infrared stove with pressure gauge/needle valve.

This roaster can be easily mailed to the US by standard post or air for a reasonable price, and I heard he can build one in 3 days. There is another gas roaster just reported, called the Cube500. Lots of roasters to choose from over in Taiwan.

No connection with Mr. Li of Huky, and I have all the details regarding his roaster if anyone is interested.

Neat roaster:

Huky500操作

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2011, 05:37:01 PM »

The Mini-500 utilizes a propane burner . . . . So I would not anticipate it burning out :) .

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2011, 05:39:42 PM »

Yea, I looked into the 2 Huky roasters about a year ago and for $1,000 with a portable butane burner as the element it was not for me. The US to Taiwanese dollar projections have been spot on through the year thus far. If the projection stays on track it will be in the mid 32s by October sometime.

Tex

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2011, 06:14:31 PM »

The Mini-500 utilizes a propane burner . . . . So I would not anticipate it burning out :) .

My mistake.

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2011, 06:29:57 PM »
I know. I could not let you off scot-free though. . . That would not have been any fun :) . To add to the above, he said the roaster's drum is large enough to fulfill the described capacity and is more than powerful enough to roast the beans within proper time frames. He said he normally does just 300g a week for himself because that is what he drinks in a week, but when friends ask him for coffee he throw 500g in there and can hit the same roast times as he hits with 300g.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 06:32:02 PM by Warrior372 »

Tex

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2011, 08:13:49 PM »
I know. I could not let you off scot-free though. . . That would not have been any fun :) . To add to the above, he said the roaster's drum is large enough to fulfill the described capacity and is more than powerful enough to roast the beans within proper time frames. He said he normally does just 300g a week for himself because that is what he drinks in a week, but when friends ask him for coffee he throw 500g in there and can hit the same roast times as he hits with 300g.

It's sounding better & better!

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2011, 03:57:49 AM »
Yang-Chia 800n roaster has arrived in Jacksonville :)
Will pick it up next week.