Author Topic: Upgrade to gas sample/hobby roaster?  (Read 6521 times)

Offline shep

• Standard User
Re: Upgrade to gas sample/hobby roaster?
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2011, 05:38:27 AM »
Interesting thread. I have an engineer friend who has worked for a coffee roasting professional in the past. He is thinking of trying to build a one pound sample/hobby roaster for kicks. I'm anxious to see what he can come up with. The sample roaster market is an interesting one. As a former small roasting shop owner, I really wanted a sample roaster but could never justify the expense of the commercial units available. I don't think I was alone in that scenario. I still want one, but having owned a larger roaster, its really hard to justify spending the same cash for a 1lb sample roaster as for a used unit with 5-20 times the capacity. I know that's not the debate here; its my personal debate.  ;D

Shep
Vagabond, beach bum & motorcycle zealot: a restless soul in motion

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2011, 04:15:40 AM »
That's the conundrum in the small roaster market, something between a grill roaster and a full blown out pro model. I'm working on buying a coffee grinder in Taiwan from You-Wei Co., Ltd, the CM520au. My wife is back in Taiwan and I've asked her to get more information on the You-Wei 1K roaster CR-101. They also go by the "flying eagle" brand. Have heard one report they build a good roaster .
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 10:10:22 AM by hankua »

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2011, 10:07:56 AM »
Here's a Timeline on buying a Taiwan Coffee Roaster:

The roaster (Yang-Chia 800n) was ordered on 6/30/11 from Yang-Chia Machine Works Ltd, Taichung, Taiwan. Crated for shipment on 7/20/11 and stuffed in a 40' container on 7/22/11 in Taichung. The container was trucked to the port of Kaohsiung Taiwan and loaded on the Hyundai Dynasty cargo ship on 7/27/11. The ship arrived in NY on 8/19/11 and the container was unpacked in NJ. The crate was trucked to Jacksonville FL and arrived at a bonded warehouse on 8/31/11. US Customs and Border Protection inspected and cleared the cargo on 9/1/11.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 10:09:42 AM by hankua »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2011, 11:00:07 AM »
You'll have some catching up to do once it's in house.  ;-)   Should be worth the wait.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2011, 08:50:00 AM »
Here's what the 800n looks like.

BoldJava

« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2011, 09:04:16 AM »
Sa-weet, Hank.  Staying tuned on the thread as you progress with it.

B|Java

blzrfn

« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2011, 12:56:53 PM »
That is a beautiful machine indeed!  I can't wait to see some roasts in action.

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2011, 06:01:54 AM »
So you want to import a coffee roaster? 

It's not really that difficult, although there are a lot of procedures and acronyms in sea transportation. It's interesting to learn about them but not necessary to arrange shipping. There are many ways to ship freight by boat, mine went port to port and that's a less complicated way to go. So I would ask for a price port to port, using the one closest to your location. The cargo is going LCL (less than a full container) and that involves several extra steps. Using this way, the shipper is going to crate your machine, arrange the shipping, stuffing in the container, ship, unloading at the destination, and transportation to your port. Now the guy who builds you roaster is not really going to do all this, he just picks up the phone and calls a freight forwarding company. Guess what? They charge for this service, something I did not know in the beginning but now you do.

So the price of the roaster does not include crating and transportation to the freight forwarder. The crating charge include treating the wood for insects as well. Once the freight forwarder picks up the cargo, it's going to be "stuffed" in a LCL container, and transported to the port. You can track the container online as well as the progress of the ship. At this point, the freight forwarder is in charge of the cargo, and that's who you will be dealing with. Before the cargo leaves the foreign country, they are going to ask for an ISF (10+2) form.

That's when you need to call a customs broker, if you haven't already. If you have a nice one like I did, they will answer all your questions and explain everything. They will handle all the paperwork and fill out the forms for the US Customs service, so all the gov. has to do is sign on the bottom. Then you will get a bill from the broker including their fee and the duty charged.

Sounds complicated?   Not really.

1. you order a roaster, 110V LPG gas, including shipping to (your port).  (They don't know the exact amount but can give an estimate)

2. you pay for the roaster, it's completed and crated. Now the shipping has to be paid and the paperwork completed. You pay the shipping, broker fills out the forms for the FF.

3. The freight forwarders (more than one involved) will call you to pick up the cargo at the warehouse after it clears customs.

4. Show up at the warehouse to pick up the cargo, or have them ship it to you.

So how much does all this cost? 

The shipping is calculated by cbm, and a 1K or less roaster should occupy the minimum. My freight was @$100, freight forwarders charges were $60 and $65. Customs broker was $125, $35, $35, duty was @$100.

That's it in a nutshell...

« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 06:13:18 AM by hankua »

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2011, 06:22:56 PM »
Is my math correct - that was $520 for the shipping and handling?
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2011, 07:26:17 PM »
Nope, $420 for shipping and handling. US Customs duty was @$100 which you would have to pay regardless of the shipping method. Funny thing, I can bring in two roasters for exactly the same money and was very close to pulling the trigger on the second machine.

You can get one really fast UPS, like @4 weeks for 2-3 hundred more. Not sure if they do all the customs work or not.

The price on freight was reasonable considering the crate came from the other side of the world, thru the panama canal, up to NY, and back down south to Jacksonville on a truck. I was Told LCL cargo from the far east goes to LA or NY, then trucked to the final "port" for arrival in the US, which in my case was Jacksonville.

I did mention something about possibly bringing more roaster in the beginning; now that the first run is completed I would be comfortable bringing over Yang roasters or another manufacturer. Actually there are other folks building roasters in Taiwan, and one in particular is less expensive than the Yang machines. This one guy is a roaster builder nut, and can build them any size, but is making a 500gram that comes in colors. His looks to all plate steel, without the castings, same drill as the others. He normally puts a perforated drum on the 500gram but I'm sure can switch it to solid.  Not sure if he puts a pid on his machines like Mr. Yang does. Is that a big deal?

Anyway, a group buy would be much less expensive on the freight, and crating, somewhat on the price. The Taiwanese don't discount stuff very much, pretty firm on pricing. A group buy would be for 2012, if I were involved because I'm planning on being in Taiwan then and can really nail all the details down tight. Getting the roasters into the US is not a big deal, logistics once their here sounds complicated. What would be the final port of entry, and how would they be distributed?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 10:27:18 AM by hankua »

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2011, 11:59:34 AM »
What is the name of this other roaster manufacturer / their company? Do they have a website?

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2011, 12:06:59 PM »
I wonder how much that shipping would be on a container load...

Group buy?

;D
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Tex

« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2011, 12:12:21 PM »
I wonder how much that shipping would be on a container load...

Group buy?

;D

Maybe - if I had assurances that spare parts would be readily available? Waiting weeks or months for a one-off widget would be a grind, and air freight can be expensive as hell.

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2011, 02:46:05 PM »
Ha ha! A full container is something like $1700, spare parts? Buy them in advance with the roasters. The cube500 or cube600 is the one built by the coffee roaster builder nut. I've got a pretty extensive collection of his roaster photos. We have a slight language barrier, so I need to meet him in person next year. It's pretty clear to me from the photos, he knows roasters. (custom builder, no web site)

I'll see about sending warrior my photo file on the cube guy, really cool! My Taiwan shop grinder is on the way, and if the 1k roaster info is in there I'll post the on the cr-101 from You-Wei.

For a hobbyist, the huky500 ought to be about right, it's got all the functions you would want in a small package and price. I'm thinking Mr. Li would cut the price some on a bulk order, maybe in the hottop range. He sells a special stove with a pressure gauge, and a digital temp. package.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 02:53:44 PM by hankua »

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2011, 09:21:41 PM »