Author Topic: What's the difference?  (Read 974 times)

ph33nyx

What's the difference?
« on: June 21, 2011, 06:28:04 PM »
What's the difference between a pump and lever style espresso maker? Is one better than the other?

milowebailey

Re: What's the difference?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 08:22:57 PM »
What's the difference between a pump and lever style espresso maker? Is one better than the other?
Yes one is definitely better.... your job is to figure out which one!

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 08:28:19 PM »
Yes one is definitely better.... your job is to figure out which one!

Walk forth young man and investigate both paths.  Both will give you coffee but only one which you will determine will give you exceptional shots custom made for ph33nyx.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 08:37:57 PM »
Better? That's a judgment call - you'd have to play with each and make the call for yourself.

As far as I'm concerned though, I prefer the steady pressure of a pump machine to the varying pressure of a lever. But I'll admit that my lever experience is limited to one machine and then for less than three months.

That said, my dream machine is a vintage 2-group lever made by Gaggia of Spain. Once I get that I'll get rid of my pump monsters and join the ranks of the converted.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 08:42:19 PM »
Better? That's a judgment call - you'd have to play with each and make the call for yourself.

As far as I'm concerned though, I prefer the steady pressure of a pump machine to the varying pressure of a lever. But I'll admit that my lever experience is limited to one machine and then for less than three months.

That said, my dream machine is a vintage 2-group lever made by Gaggia of Spain. Once I get that I'll get rid of my pump monsters and join the ranks of the converted.

You mean something like this Robert?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VISACREAM-2-GROUP-SPANISH-GAGGIA-/200616382296

lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 09:13:26 PM »

You mean something like this Robert?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VISACREAM-2-GROUP-SPANISH-GAGGIA-/200616382296

Close, but no cigar. That's too new - I want one similar to what Danny McNulty had.

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 10:41:12 PM »
Lovely.
If I had one of those, I'd be forced to build myself a new house... just so I could have a kitchen where it would fit.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 05:19:37 AM »
Lovely.
If I had one of those, I'd be forced to build myself a new house... just so I could have a kitchen where it would fit.

Not a problem for Robert ... nothing is too much for his dream machine.

Who is Danny McNulty?

???
lp, 7-Ski

ph33nyx

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 05:39:01 AM »
You'll also want to reserve a significant portion of your purchase to buying an espresso grinder to go with the espresso machine.  You can always use a great grinder with a sub-optimal machine, but the reverse never seems to work out.

I just closed a deal on a used Rocky (plan on giving it a good cleaning and replacing the burrs), so hopefully I have the grinder down.
Seems I'm on a slippery slope.

jimec3

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 01:05:38 PM »
You'll also want to reserve a significant portion of your purchase to buying an espresso grinder to go with the espresso machine.  You can always use a great grinder with a sub-optimal machine, but the reverse never seems to work out.

I just closed a deal on a used Rocky (plan on giving it a good cleaning and replacing the burrs), so hopefully I have the grinder down.
Seems I'm on a slippery slope.

You got a Rocky....the slope has slipped.  Enjoy the ride!

Tex

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 02:33:53 PM »
Lovely.

Who is Danny McNulty?

???

Danny was a regular contributor on alt.coffee who died a few years ago. He had a Visacrem/Gaggia lever machine in his coffee trailer/caravan. He was from England and often related stories about his experiences running his coffee business. A number of years ago I was about to buy a Gaggia Orion lever machine until Danny warned me off - the piston seals for the Orion were a bear to replace.

He was a curmudgeon like me, but like me he always told you where he stood on an issue. For the most part he & I got along well. I miss his stories!

http://web.archive.org/web/20030603160306/www.danny.mcnulty.btinternet.co.uk/espresso.html

http://web.archive.org/web/20070203102017/www.danny.mcnulty.btinternet.co.uk/espress2.html

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 07:26:39 PM »
Lovely.

Who is Danny McNulty?

???

Danny was a regular contributor on alt.coffee who died a few years ago. He had a Visacrem/Gaggia lever machine in his coffee trailer/caravan. He was from England and often related stories about his experiences running his coffee business. A number of years ago I was about to buy a Gaggia Orion lever machine until Danny warned me off - the piston seals for the Orion were a bear to replace.

He was a curmudgeon like me, but like me he always told you where he stood on an issue. For the most part he & I got along well. I miss his stories!

http://web.archive.org/web/20030603160306/www.danny.mcnulty.btinternet.co.uk/espresso.html

http://web.archive.org/web/20070203102017/www.danny.mcnulty.btinternet.co.uk/espress2.html

No wonder you speak highly of him ... he reminds me of you.

lp, 7-Ski