Author Topic: Synesso or La Marzocco? Which is better and why?  (Read 7382 times)

GC7

Re: Synesso or La Marzocco? Which is better and why?
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2011, 09:10:07 AM »
I had dreams of eventually owning a GS/3 if my finances ever allowed it.  However, from the very first machines sold to this very day years latter with the paddle option all I read about is a new (design) problem that La Marzocco allowed to get out to consumers and who are subsequently made to pay ENORMOUS sums of money to remedy. I will not be purchasing one.

I do have perhaps the most limited interaction with Synesso possible.  I wanted a series of basketsto test and to use for different doses and blends.  I called them to make sure they were available and to see just how to order them. I could not have had a more pleasant interaction and my order was placed and shipped quickly.  They are good baskets by the way.  Their product looks to be a thing of beauty that is as functional as an espresso machine can currently be designed and built.  It would be my choice when my powerball numbers hit the jackpot.  In the mean time my Ms Anita is making some kick a** drinks!  ;D

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2011, 09:35:38 AM »
You would think that if a company like La Mazrocco did not have the foresight to uncover these problems before making the machine available to the public, then they would at very least have the decency to send out upgrade kits to machine owners every time a new problem surfaces at no additional expense to the customer. Unfortunately that is not the case.

Tex

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2011, 09:37:21 AM »
A machinist from SE Michigan chimed in on one of the threads discussing the Synesso on HB. He said that after seeing one he was really wowed by the quality of craftsmanship that was put into it. He compared it to what he saw coming out of American machine shops in the 60s.

I don't like the wiring of these - wires running willy-nilly. Where's the wiring loom? Good machining, poor electrical plan.

I completely disagree. If you open something as simple as an Isomac Millennium or Tea you will see more wires running erratically around the machine. Just by looking at the picture it actually looks fairly straight forward. Also, it is no more complicated than a GS/3.

It's not the complications, it's the tidiness factor. Wire looms were standard in my cars and now in my rebuilt espresso machines. An extra 6" of wire so I can get everything in one wire wrap makes a big difference to me.

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2011, 09:53:24 AM »
A machinist from SE Michigan chimed in on one of the threads discussing the Synesso on HB. He said that after seeing one he was really wowed by the quality of craftsmanship that was put into it. He compared it to what he saw coming out of American machine shops in the 60s.

I don't like the wiring of these - wires running willy-nilly. Where's the wiring loom? Good machining, poor electrical plan.

I completely disagree. If you open something as simple as an Isomac Millennium or Tea you will see more wires running erratically around the machine. Just by looking at the picture it actually looks fairly straight forward. Also, it is no more complicated than a GS/3.

It's not the complications, it's the tidiness factor. Wire looms were standard in my cars and now in my rebuilt espresso machines. An extra 6" of wire so I can get everything in one wire wrap makes a big difference to me.

Considering the machines are made to order, I would not be surprised if they could accommodate such a request. It owuld simply involve making each wire a little longer to group them, as you said.

Tex

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2011, 10:04:36 AM »

Considering the machines are made to order, I would not be surprised if they could accommodate such a request. It owuld simply involve making each wire a little longer to group them, as you said.

I should be a judge at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. At one of my reunions a guy shows up with a Lotus Elan, and while everyone was oohing & aahing over the motor & interior, I'm noticing the windshield seal has a wedgie in it.

Details - it's all about the details for me.

Offline Dante

• Standard User
  • High on Caffeine
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2011, 10:06:09 AM »
The people at Synesso appear to be very responsive to customer service. I sent an e-mail to them this morning and got a quick one in reply - telling me that their one-group Hydra can be pressure and temperature profiled easily. I am reading up on this machine, and it is looking better and better. This is getting interesting.  ;D
No coffee, No workee!

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2011, 10:14:57 AM »
Looks like we'll have to put together a road-trip to the Philippines.  Tex, Warrior, are you in?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2011, 10:16:17 AM »
Yea. A trip like that would be way cheaper than buying the Synesso Hydra ourselves :) .

That is funny. . . .I emailed them yesterday with pricing questions and have not heard anything. They must know you are much more serious about buying one than I will be for the next few years!

Although, if Dante becomes a distributor maybe he can organize a group buy price :) !
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 10:19:28 AM by Warrior372 »

Offline Dante

• Standard User
  • High on Caffeine
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2011, 10:24:02 AM »
Hmmm... if three guys pool your baggage allowance you might even be able to bring the Hydra over with you as checked in baggage without having to pay excess baggage charges!  ;D

Warrior, in fact I was inquiring into the possibility of distributing Synesso here in the Philippines, so that might explain the expedited reply.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 10:30:31 AM by Dante »
No coffee, No workee!

Tex

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2011, 10:31:07 AM »
Looks like we'll have to put together a road-trip to the Philippines.  Tex, Warrior, are you in?

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt, another little 'gift', plus R&R memories that'll last a lifetime! >:D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 10:42:12 AM by Tex »

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2011, 06:54:21 PM »
Dante, Can you please fill us in as you gather more information on it. The single group Hydra is somewhat of a mystery. . . I have never read anything about a single group Hydra.

Offline Dante

• Standard User
  • High on Caffeine
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2011, 07:23:21 PM »
Dante, Can you please fill us in as you gather more information on it. The single group Hydra is somewhat of a mystery. . . I have never read anything about a single group Hydra.

Warrior, I will fill you in as I obtain more info from Ann Halsne over at Synesso. I have not received a reply from her to my follow up questions yet. If this initial interest develops into a serious dealership relationship with them, I might fly to Seattle to visit their plant, meet and greet them, and maybe, finally, get to meet up with Milo and the Seattle/Portland GSBC gang.  ;D

I didn't realize that the Intelligentsia espresso machines that I was very impressed with during my Venice Beach visit in late 2009 were Synessos. I thought that they were La Marzoccos. I have been toying with the idea of opening an Intelligentsia-type coffee shop here in Manila and this might be the break that could make that happen. I could meet up with the Sonofresco guys also to make the Seattle trip even more worthwhile and see if there's a dealership possible with them as well.

Tex, depending on when you were on R&R here in the Philippines, you might be pleasantly surprised that good changes have happened since the '90s. It's an exciting place and far far classier than it was a decade or so ago, to make a 2nd visit for you interesting.  ;D
No coffee, No workee!

milowebailey

« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2011, 07:55:28 PM »

Warrior, I will fill you in as I obtain more info from Ann Halsne over at Synesso. I have not received a reply from her to my follow up questions yet. If this initial interest develops into a serious dealership relationship with them, I might fly to Seattle to visit their plant, meet and greet them, and maybe, finally, get to meet up with Milo and the Seattle/Portland GSBC gang.  ;D

I didn't realize that the Intelligentsia espresso machines that I was very impressed with during my Venice Beach visit in late 2009 were Synessos. I thought that they were La Marzoccos. I have been toying with the idea of opening an Intelligentsia-type coffee shop here in Manila and this might be the break that could make that happen. I could meet up with the Sonofresco guys also to make the Seattle trip even more worthwhile and see if there's a dealership possible with them as well.

Tex, depending on when you were on R&R here in the Philippines, you might be pleasantly surprised that good changes have happened since the '90s. It's an exciting place and far far classier than it was a decade or so ago, to make a 2nd visit for you interesting.  ;D

That would be great to meet you Dante!!  Synesso's "plant" is about 1/2 mile from my office (across the river).  I stopped over there when we did the coffee kids auction.  Great folks.  They have about 6 - 8 benches with a machine in-work on each bench.  I think the whole company might be 8 or 10 people.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 07:57:38 PM by milowebailey »

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2011, 09:16:13 PM »
2 and 3 group Hydra machines are just awesome! Each group has it's own separate pump and boiler. You can run each group / boiler at a different temperature. The Intelligentsia on Broadway in Downtown Chicago also uses a 3 group Synesso. I am assuming it is a Cyncra, because I do not think I have ever seen the baristas fiddle with the paddle mid shot.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 09:18:38 PM by Warrior372 »

Offline rfeuker

• Standard User
  • Some problems only coffee can fix.
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2011, 11:47:47 AM »
So if one were bold enough to dream of owning a Synesso one group where might he direct his fairy godmother to buy one for him?  Really, who sells 'em in the eastern US (NJ)?
Bob Feuker