Author Topic: Fair asking price for a used Mazzer Major and Cimbali Jr grinders?  (Read 907 times)

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
Since acquiring a Wega 6.8 Conical I started disassembling and cleaning both my Mazzer Major and Cimbali Junior grinders to put them up for sale. The Mazzer Major came to me used, so I am the second owner. I believe the first owner did use it commercially?!? I assume this anyway because there is chipped paint on the front from of the grinder presumably from PFs hitting it. Outside of that the grinder is perfect. I have owned it for about 2 years and have only used it 4-5 times a year when I am grinding larger quantities of coffee for friends and family around holidays. The burrs still perform very well and give a consistent grind.

The Cimbali Junior is a one owner machine. It was the first grinder I ever purchased back in 2007 with my Elektra MCal when I initially got into espresso. I would guess that it has seen on average 3/4 of a pound a week over the past 4 1/2 years, so somewhere around 175lbs of coffee total. It has worked flawlessly the entire time I have owned it and has not had one problem.

Cimbali Juniors retail for $650, so I am thinking a fair asking price would be $400. Mazzer Majors retail for $995, so with the paint dings I am thinking somewhere around $500 would be fair. Keep in mind I am completely disassembling them, cleaning them, taking pictures as evidence of their internal cleanliness and then reassembling.

Opinions please. . . .

« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 05:07:16 PM by Warrior372 »

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
Re: Fair asking price for a used Mazzer Major and Cimbali Jr grinders?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 04:34:14 PM »
Eight hours and no opinions. . . . You guy's are worrying me :) .

Tex

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 04:39:09 PM »

$150 for the Wega sounds fair to me. ;D

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 04:57:24 PM »

Your finger must have slipped and made you miss the last zero as well as the comma. You were surly trying to type $1,500.

jspain

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 05:01:37 PM »
I have a great used Major I paid $300 for. I am aware of one that went for less than that, in better shape than mine, two weeks ago. I do not believe you are asking too much. Just a bit more than the market might reflect right now? I love my major and would not sell it for less than $350.....

Good luck, just my thoughts. Jim

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 05:17:46 PM »
I have a great used Major I paid $300 for. I am aware of one that went for less than that, in better shape than mine, two weeks ago. I do not believe you are asking too much. Just a bit more than the market might reflect right now? I love my major and would not sell it for less than $350.....

Good luck, just my thoughts. Jim

Do you have a Major or a Super Jolly? I track prices of equipment all over the internet multiple times a week just to keep up on what stuff is selling for / to find any good deals. I routinely see Mazzer Super Jolly's coming out of commercial environments for $400-$450 and they retail for $700. I rarely see Majors for sale and would consider the larger 83mm burr much more appealing than the Jolly's 64mm burrs. I agree a Major would be a steal at $350, but usually I like to do the stealing. . . . I do not like to be stolen from :) .

jspain

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 06:18:28 PM »
Warrior 372,

That could very well be the difference! I have a super...... The one that sold at the local coffee shop auction was a major and I was not able to be there!!!!! I wish I would have been! Great deal and no buyers. Local auction not an ebay/craigslist sale.  Jim

Tex

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »

Your finger must have slipped and made you miss the last zero as well as the comma. You were surly trying to type $1,500.

No, I don't think my finger fslipped. ;D

northwestmark

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 08:11:10 PM »
I think a fair price on a mazzer major in good shape is $550-$700.

randytsuch

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 10:40:46 PM »
A couple years ago, I sold two Majors.  I bought a lot of grinders on ebay.
They both needed a little work, I tore both down, cleaned them up, fixed a problem in one of them with the start switch, and installed new burrs.

I think I sold one in the low 400's, the other in the high 300's.  I think because of the size, there is less demand for Majors, so they sell for around the same price as a SJ, at least that's what happened with mine.

They were both a little dinged up, one was missing the hopper, but both worked fine.

Randy

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 10:11:57 AM »
I recently sold my major to a friend opening a cafe for 450. He got a discount, as I had 500 in it with the new burrs from Chris Coffee. They are supposed to be getting a Marzocco GB5, so I'll get to pull shots with my old major and a high end machine. :)

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 11:30:25 AM »
I recently sold my major to a friend opening a cafe for 450. He got a discount, as I had 500 in it with the new burrs from Chris Coffee. They are supposed to be getting a Marzocco GB5, so I'll get to pull shots with my old major and a high end machine. :)

Cool.  Let us know how you find it.

8)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski