Author Topic: Lever pull basics  (Read 6220 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Lever pull basics
« on: August 07, 2011, 08:16:37 AM »
Alright lever heads....hook a brother up on short cutting the learning curve.

I've got a few questions about this vid.

1) He uses a max dose here. The basket is overfull and tamped down to what I expect is the max load for this double basket. I don't have an actual question about that yet but any general comments on dosing by gram or overfilling...shoot!

2) The preinfusion. Why does he do a double pump here? Looking at the warming flush it appears (to the clueless me) that one smooth trip down with the leaver and hold should be better than a double pump. Is there a preferred way to do the preinfusion with delivering the water and holding...do you just hold until you see drops of hold for a pre determined amount of time?

3) The pulls. It looks to me like the third pull is a disaster. I think I would have pulled the cup about .5 seconds into the third pull. Maybe the third pull gives you 5 drops of espresso before blonding. I can see that 2 pulls here looks better than three but considering the max dosing and going for max shot I think that 2 full pulls and 1/8 of the third pull is the absolute max and you would need to yank the cup.

Am I looking at this right?

Take a look at this vid and see what you think.

espresso
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

Re: Lever pull basics
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 09:46:34 AM »
Impossible to tell how many grams he is using.  The grinds compacted quickly so I don't think it weighed as much as you might think.

I would ignore his technique and look for another video.  I can't critique because I don't know what lever position opens the infusion. Your PVL will handle differently.  That looked like an Export, though unsure. My pre-infusion comes when the lever is at a 10.30 clock position.  I let that occur for ten seconds and then take one slow sweep down, using a sense of pressure to determine how much torque to apply.  Most of my shots run towards 30 seconds.

It will come naturally.  There are *no shortcuts* up this hill.  Climb the path, grasshopper.  Wave goodbye to the Gaggia...

I forgot, yours is a spring loaded lever.

B|Java, grasshopping as well.

Ponte Vecchio Lusso - Macchina da caffè a leva
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 10:08:00 AM by BoldJava »

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 10:18:22 AM »
Your vid makes more sense to me..

Hold for preinfusion
Two gentle pulls.

I don't like what he is doing with that milk but shotwise I'm imagining this will be my starting point.

Also I am noticing there must be a dead area of the lever travel. From letting it go there looks to be some initial travel in all the PVL vids I'm watching that looks "dead".

That was a two pull shot into what looks like a 6-8 oz cup. It didn't look terribly washed out or anything...my hopes are up on a two pull double into a 5oz cup.  8)
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 10:32:50 AM »
I would love to be a fly on the wall when you come home, only to find a FedEx door tag, telling you that you need to sign and that they will be back tomorrow.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 10:41:53 AM »
I would love to be a fly on the wall when you come home, only to find a FedEx door tag, telling you that you need to sign and that they will be back tomorrow.

Not gonna happen.

I told my wife yesterday to clear here schedule on Thursday and post up at the peephole on our door waiting for Mr. Brown.

I've also ordered some Red Bird. Fingers crossed I see it on Wed.

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 10:57:48 AM »

Not gonna happen.

I told my wife yesterday to clear here schedule on Thursday and post up at the peephole on our door waiting for Mr. Brown.

I've also ordered some Red Bird. Fingers crossed I see it on Wed.

I sent them an email to have it redirected to your Pearland address. No, you don't have to thank me! ;)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 11:19:27 AM »
I'll send the cat from your avatar to go thank you..  :P

Lee Morrison

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 03:51:25 PM »
Coles notes on the PVL, this should get you started:

- Prior to pulling any shots you will have have to let the machine come up to temp, once it does the boiler light will go out and then you need to bleed off the false pressure by opening the steam wand for approx 2-3secs. The boiler light will come back on. Then pull approx .5oz water via a lever pull in order to start the thermo heat through the grouphead otherwise the grouphead will remain cool. From first power on till you can pull the first shot will take approx 10mins depending on how much water you have in the boiler, less water in the boiler will take less time to pull a properly heated grouphead and stable shot.
- Approx 14-16gms in the basket. Fine grind will pull slow, coarse grind will pull fast (that's one of the biggest generalizations I've made all week). Remember that grind and dose work together (of course) but now the lever 'magic' comes into play and completely impacts the general rules of grind and dose. For now, keep things simple and stick to the recommended dose and a grind that will allow a shot in approx 25-35sec, following the other guidelines below.
- Very light and even tamp, approx 3-5lbs.
- With the PF out of the grouphead pull the lever down about halfway (prior to any water coming out) then insert the PF gently and lock as you are pulling the lever slowly all the way down and listen for the water draw.
- Hold the lever down for 3-5secs and then let the lever come up gently.
- As the first couple of drops tumble out, pull the lever down again very gently to the bottom of its travel and release, this will be known as the first lever pull which will produce approx .5oz of espresso.
- At some point as that first pull is doing it's thing you will have to think about going in for your second lever pull which will also produce approx .5oz of espresso. Where to intiate that second level pull is up to you but for now let the first lever pull almost complete its travel.

Throughout the pull cycle you will want to keep the stream out of the basket as smooth and uninterrupted as possible, a bottomless PF really helps.

Total espresso extraction will be approx 1oz. In small milk (less than a 5oz cup) you won't need any more espresso - believe me.

That will get you going for the first 2-3wks.

***Spoiler***

From this point forward ignore everything else I'm going to write until you've pulled at least 100 shots on the PVL. Use the Coles notes above to dial in your techniques and observe the PVL trends.

Now for the fun stuff (are you still ignoring this until you've pulled at least 2-3wks worth on the PVL)... are you? Of you are sneaking in here and using the stuff below prior to 100 pulls I'm gonna know and you are gonna be in so much trouble mister.

- Preinfusion is fun, you can manipulate it by holding the lever down longer or shorter, letting no drops come out or letting more drops come out before you go in for your first lever pull.
- First lever pull is fun, you can manipulate the profile of the shot by letting the lever stroke go almost all the way up or cutting the lever path short and going in for the second lever pull. You will see how impactful this is once you understand the pressures involved and how it speed things up or slows things down. That won't make any sense now until you are reading this again in approx 1mth.
- Essentially you will manipulate the shot via preinfusion and lever stroke play. While still interplaying grind against dose.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 04:08:36 PM »
In small milk (less than a 5oz cup) you won't need any more espresso - believe me.

I'm super happy to read those words.

Of course the rest of the words are going to get me off the start line so thanks a bunch but I'm still jazzed to read the above.

Lee Morrison

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 06:50:03 PM »
May you soon have a happy start to your journey.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 07:31:00 PM »
It has begun..

Lee Morrison

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 07:37:55 PM »
Enjoy the journey John.

Post your results.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 08:56:36 PM »
Do it.

Do it.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 09:32:40 PM »
Do it.

Do it.

I've got no choice now...I'm sucked into the gravitational pull of the lever.

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 02:41:19 AM »
It has begun..

...and there ain't no goin' back.