Author Topic: Lever pull basics  (Read 6218 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: Lever pull basics
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 06:05:00 AM »

...and there ain't no goin' back.

I believe you are correct.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 06:49:53 AM »
How were your morning shots?

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 07:34:09 AM »
How were your morning shots?

In a word, worse.

I'm in the curve...gonna take a bit of time.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 09:24:39 AM »

...and there ain't no goin' back.

I believe you are correct.

I've got a 5'er that says you'rr back with an electric pump within three years. Levers get tiresome, especially if you jam a thumb or cut your finger. I love my La Pavoni machines, and learned a lot from using them; but after using one every day for more than a decade I was happy to make the switch to a pumper. :)

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2011, 09:49:19 AM »
I guess I beat the curve. I have been using them for 5 years and have bought and sold 5 or 6 HX pump machines machines due to less personal palate appeal ;) .

What I have always wondered is how many people have knocked out lower teeth because they had their commercial lever on a table / counter that was too low. Some of my commercial machines pack a punch when you pull down the lever without a loaded PF basket!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 09:51:23 AM by Warrior372 »

Tex

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2011, 10:51:18 AM »
I guess I beat the curve. I have been using them for 5 years and have bought and sold 5 or 6 HX pump machines machines due to less personal palate appeal ;) .

What I have always wondered is how many people have knocked out lower teeth because they had their commercial lever on a table / counter that was too low. Some of my commercial machines pack a punch when you pull down the lever without a loaded PF basket!

Or if they blow out the puck?

I used the original Europiccola from the 60's until Gaggia came out with the original Baby in the 80's(??). It was really the only viable choice for espresso in the home for a long time. Problem was, there wasn't the emphasis on grinders then, so I bought preground from friends in Italy.

Lever machines are cool, and they have a lot to teach about precision. But they can be problematic for us gimps.

BoldJava

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2011, 12:05:25 PM »
Yeah, I don't know about the five year bit.  There's a certain sort of person who will gravitate to lever espresso machines, wet shaving, and fountain pens. 

Lever (✔)
Wet Shaving - brush and cup (✔)
Fountain Pen (✔)

B|Java

Tex

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, 12:31:45 PM »
Yeah, I don't know about the five year bit.  There's a certain sort of person who will gravitate to lever espresso machines, wet shaving, and fountain pens. 

Lever (✔)
Wet Shaving - brush and cup (✔)
Fountain Pen (✔)

B|Java

Yep, Lake Cheddar branch of the old farts club!

Ladies auxiliary.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 12:47:10 PM by Tex »

BoldJava

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2011, 12:47:57 PM »

Yep, Lake Cheddar branch of the old farts club!

Ladies auxiliary.

I fully accept that.  Enjoyed the pic.

B|Java

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2011, 07:30:07 AM »
Here is an interesting thing....

I think I need a dosing funnel. I mean like "need" one.

I was fine dosing and distributing in a 55mm basket but with the 45mm I find that I'm trying to balance the coffee on top and it's not so easy. I think with a funnel I will be able to distribute better, hold my coffee in the basket and get my leveling tamp in with the G's I'm trying to put in.

Has anybody else seen a greater need for the funnel with the smaller baskets?

Lee Morrison

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2011, 07:54:36 AM »
I guess I don't really use the dosing funnel for dosing, just to keep the grinds in the basket when grinding and taping it down.

I grind into a container and pour into the basket.

So I've got no problems there, but 14-15g of coffee sits pretty tall over the top of the PVL basket. In order to distribute it with the needle and tamp it I find that I have to hold my breath, stand on one foot, and turn off the ceiling fan in order not to loose some coffee...  :-\

Lee Morrison

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2011, 08:09:24 AM »
I've never used a funnel with the PVL.

What grinder are you using?

I'm using the Vario and grind directly into the basket. If I need to tap the basket halfway through the grind to settle things in I do it. I also rotate the basket as the grind is going in to more evenly throw the coffee grinds.

Have you thought about grinding smaller (tighter) grinds? If you go finer the PVL will be able to handle it and the dose load will fit in easier. If you get to a point where you have ground a bit too fine you can ease up on the dose to 13.5gms.

BoldJava

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2011, 02:12:37 PM »
I guess I don't really use the dosing funnel for dosing, just to keep the grinds in the basket when grinding and taping it down.

I grind into a container and pour into the basket.

So I've got no problems there, but 14-15g of coffee sits pretty tall over the top of the PVL basket. In order to distribute it with the needle and tamp it I find that I have to hold my breath, stand on one foot, and turn off the ceiling fan in order not to loose some coffee...  :-\

I will give you $350 for that 'thang you are having trouble with.  You pick up the shipping.

B|Java

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2011, 02:27:38 PM »
I will give you $350 for that 'thang you are having trouble with.

You mean the trouble of Tinfoil Bamboo collecting dust? I only want $200 for it.  ;)

I just learned that I need to get some shot glasses before taking any more pics but, from 3 min ago.

Lee Morrison

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2011, 05:21:39 PM »
Ada boy John ... keep pumping that lever.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski