Author Topic: Lever pull basics  (Read 6223 times)

BoldJava

Re: Lever pull basics
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2011, 07:12:24 PM »

You mean the trouble of Tinfoil Bamboo collecting dust? I only want $200 for it.  ;)

Clearly not.  Don't insult a fellow lever-lover.  I was attempting to purchase that Italian brand (nose up in the air) lever that was presenting issues to you.  I wanted to permit you to return to the Gaggia.

I just learned that I need to get some shot glasses before taking any more pics but, from 3 min ago.

Grab some 3.2 oz'ers.  Perfect size to crest a great lever shot with some tight micro-frothed milk.  Wms Sonoma in your town has a set of 6, $15.
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/picardie-glass-tumbler/.  That size gave Jeff the exact ratio of 'presso:millk he enjoys.  He even forgot that they were made in France.

B|Java

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2011, 07:40:39 PM »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2011, 07:45:37 PM »
You are freaking psychic..

I just got back from buying this.

Actually, my daughter bends that way -- I don't.  I am the skeptic in the family of her edgy stuff.

But, Jeff is going to wig out.  Peter, your turn.  The Picardies are merveilleuse.

B|Java
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 07:54:25 PM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2011, 07:48:08 PM »
Next, I bet you will be buying a hand grinder.

B|Java

« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 07:51:21 PM by BoldJava »

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2011, 08:01:07 PM »
Next, I bet you will be buying a hand grinder.

Only if I can find a spiffy modern one that is under ~$100 and grinds very nice for the PVL.

But you could safely predict I'm not selling the Italian thing any time soon...do you see what's starting to happen over here?
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2011, 08:14:23 PM »
Those are the perfect glasses for pouring small, very small, milk.  I have to see if they sell them individually, 'cuz I don't need six of them.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2011, 08:20:31 PM »
Those are the perfect glasses for pouring small, very small, milk. 

I'm thinking a Breve' would work very nicely in there.

Lee Morrison

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2011, 08:23:27 PM »
How did that shot in the last picture taste? Looking much better already. Peruse Orphan for a wide selection of well-priced hand grinders made for espresso.

BoldJava

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2011, 08:25:22 PM »
How did that shot in the last picture taste? Looking much better already. Peruse Orphan for a wide selection of well-priced hand grinders made for espresso.

John, buy out Tex for one of his unused shares in the traveling Pharos road show.  Jump in line.  See if that floats the boat.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2011, 08:34:47 PM »
John, buy out Tex for one of his unused shares in the traveling Pharos road show.  Jump in line.  See if that floats the boat.

The Texan is hogging up shares?  :o

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2011, 08:40:16 PM »

He had two -- shoulder is bothering him from the night when he went two rounds with Sonny Liston, so he is passing.  Snag one.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 08:46:00 PM by BoldJava »

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2011, 08:42:29 PM »
How did that shot in the last picture taste?

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around these shots. I'm not sure exactly how to qualify them yet but short answer is good!  8)

I am understanding now that it was unnecessary for me to worry about reduced shot volume because these are not 58mm pump driven shots...they are 45mm lever shots. I'm almost positive I read those exact words but now I'm going "Oh...yeah, I get it now".

Early days but going with a stable lever bean like the Red Bird was a good call to eliminate a variable. A framework from Staylor, a ton of youtubes, and some good luck has me happy with were I am at for a newbie. 

Lee Morrison

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2011, 08:42:59 PM »

He had two -- shoulder is bothering him from when he went two rounds with Sonny Liston that evening, so he is passing.  Snag one.

He just said that ... he was actually giving selflessly in hopes that a fellow GCBC member could take one of his turns.

;)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2011, 08:44:49 PM »
How did that shot in the last picture taste?

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around these shots. I'm not sure exactly how to qualify them yet but short answer is good!  8)

I am understanding now that it was unnecessary for me to worry about reduced shot volume because these are not 58mm pump driven shots...they are 45mm lever shots. I'm almost positive I read those exact words but now I'm going "Oh...yeah, I get it now".

Early days but going with a stable lever bean like the Red Bird was a good call to eliminate a variable. A framework from Staylor, a ton of youtubes, and some good luck has me happy with were I am at for a newbie.

How do you like the steam capability on the Vechio?

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2011, 08:50:14 PM »
How do you like the steam capability on the Vechio?

It's like a 20 megaton steam bomb.

The machine design of keeping the boiler (3 litre) at steam temp gives you an absolutely irresponsible amount of steam.  ;D 

Lee Morrison